TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Loss of both parents (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t152727-loss-both-parents/)

Cherry Bomb August 23rd 2017 08:29 PM

Loss of both parents

Back in January approximately one week after my 17th birthday my sister who had recently turned 21 and I received the worst possible phone call anyone could imagine. It was from a hospital telling us to rush to the hospital ASAP. We did just that, but we were too late as both my parents had passed away from injuries they sustained in an auto accident. My sister and I were devastated and to make matters worse not even having much time to grieve together the State pulled me out of my home away from my sister because I was a minor and she didn't have a steady income to support me to live with a Foster family. I also had the choice to live several States away with my Grandparents who my Grandfather was extremely ill or my Aunt and Uncle who I was not close to at all and lived across the country. This all shortly after both my parents had tragically passed. They pulled me away from the only person I wanted to be with my Big Sister. So my big sister put on her big girl pants and dropped her plans for her Senior Year of college, got a full time job, we sold the house, and my sister bought an apartment. After several months of living with the Foster Family three weeks ago my sister was given guardianship over me until me 18th birthday in January. So I am finally back with my sister and we are still grieving now together as it has not even been a year. I will be starting my Senior Year of High School on September 5th and she will continue her job and she is also taking a few online college courses to continue towards her college degree. Everyday is hard and there isn't a day that goes by that we don't cry, but at least we have each other. I don't know what I'd do without my big sister and the sacrifices she has made for me. Yeah it's weird have a Big Sister who well technically is like my parent to, but I deal with it. Also the State continues to watch us like a hawk for any slip ups to pull me out. I can't wait till January 19th when I turn 18 and all of this can go away and I can technically be an adult.

Everglow. August 23rd 2017 10:19 PM

Re: Loss of both parents

Hi Kalina,

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been through - I couldn't imagine being in that situation so I think the fact you are here, and you are getting through the days is incredible and you should be so proud of you and your sister for doing this, especially together. It sounds like, despite the terrible circumstances, you and her have become a lot closer and stronger as sisters because of it, and this is really good. Hold onto that, because family are so so important and it's clear that you and her have gone through a lot to get to this point. I think that your mum and dad would be so proud of you both for sticking together and fighting everything that has been against you.

Remember that it's ok to cry. You had such a difficult grieving process, so crying is a really healthy thing as it ensures your emotions are let out in a way which doesn't end up hurting you or anyone else. I also think that you're thinking about things in a really logical way which is good. It sounds like you know that, while things haven't been so great, you have an amazing thing still in the bond you both have together, and it's a good thing to be able to remind yourself of the good things you have left.

I hope that everything goes ok until January. If you need a place to vent, we're all here. Carry on being strong.

Dawn. August 27th 2017 10:05 AM

Hi Kalina,

I am so sorry for what you and your sister have been through; I cannot imagine what you are dealing with at the moment.

Everglow. has said everything that I have.

If you ever need anything, just know that I'm only a message away.

Arabesque- golfing girl. August 27th 2017 12:43 PM

I am sorry for what happened. And what you have been through. Sending you lots of Hugs.