TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Taking a break (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t161060-taking-break/)

Hidden_thoughts January 1st 2021 06:09 AM

Taking a break

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience in taking a break from a friendship or relationship in order to work on themselves and if they got back together stronger than before or if things just fell out?

Currently going through a month long break with my friend/partner (its complicated). We set a date as to when we would talk again and we're halfway through it and I guess I need a little reassurance that its worth it.

It has been nice to work on myself these past couple weeks so I think its for the best but yeah. I miss him like crazy still.

DeletedAccount53 January 1st 2021 09:57 AM

Re: Taking a break

Since Covid continues to cause restrictions from seeing friends or lovers, it is vital that they know you love them and that you care for them, and that you tell them.

Personally, I've never been in a situation where a friend has to know I need a break, except soon I'll have a full time job that will curtail spending time with them and my family.

Do bear in mind that your friend or lover may be in education where they themselves may need a break because they will be doing exams. Sometimes needing a break works both ways.

Mallika January 1st 2021 01:33 PM

Re: Taking a break

Hi Mikayla,

Thanks for reaching out. This is a very valid concern, and you're not alone :)

I think it's good that you and your friend/partner have decided to do this and to speak again on a set date. I know of this YouTube influencer couple who does this thing whereby they each take a solo trip/me-time away from each other for a set period of time every year (since they live together), simply for the purpose of recharging, working on themselves, etc. As much as we are social creatures, we all do need some time to work on ourselves. It's good to give yourselves some space to do this - we all need it. Regarding how it turns out after the break, I believe it is different for different people, and how well you want your relationship to be pan out also depends on commitment from both parties involved. There are no hard and fast outcomes with these sorts of things I guess. I'm hoping it will turn out well in your case :hug:

I think I'm going though a similar period with my best friend of 5 years, except that he kind of ghosted me out of the blue a couple of months back, leaving me wondering what's wrong. He got a girlfriend a while back and we were chatting normally, but all of a sudden, he's no longer talking to me. It doesn't help that we don't live in the same country. I've decided to let him have some space to figure things out (we're both people who need to be by ourselves every so often), and hope that he does contact me again.

When you meet your friend/partner again, I suggest having an open mind to the fact that certain aspects about them might have changed over this period of time that you were both taking a break. Embrace these changes and feel free to talk about things openly from your end too. After all, you both had mutually agreed to do this, which reflects that you both care about your relationship. Honest conversations are always the way forward with any sort of relationship :hug:

Feel free to reach out to me via PM or you can just reply through this thread, if you have any questions!