TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Food and Recipes (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/)
-   -   COVID safe lunches/snacks for work (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/t161335-covid-safe-lunches-snacks-work/)

MsNobleEleanor February 26th 2021 10:08 AM

COVID safe lunches/snacks for work

I am looking for ideas that are easy to make and eat during COVID.

The story which is important:
I work with vulnerable people (elderly mostly) that may not have that much. I visit their homes and ensure they are doing well and clean there home. Sometimes they do not have soap or they do, however, I either don't use it or I do it depends on the situation. I mainly use hand sanitizer and gloves.

I have some ideas of lunch and snacks to bring, however, with not being able to always wash my hands (I am going to bring my own soap and towel with me) and COVID I am looking for easy, fast and efficient food/snacks. I'd like them to be healthy and energy filled.

I would be eating it while walking as I don't have time to sit and eat, sometimes, I would have some time to sit and eat but not always.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

DeletedAccount53 February 26th 2021 08:32 PM

Re: COVID safe lunches/snacks for work

Eggs are highly versatile for various vitamins and are a source of low fat protein. Consider pre-wrapped wholegrain bread, packs of UHT milk and small bags of mixed-grain rice. Canned tuna is another as are tinned sardines in olive oil, not brine. A useful snack that has great taste is the milder flavoured bags of Indian snacks, such as Bombay Mix. Also jars of peanut butter as it is low in sugar (Ideal for diabetics), available as crunchy or smooth. Peanut butter is highly nutritional, high in protein and is a goods source of fiber.

It's close to my bedtime, but I'll be back at the weekend with more suggestions.

Rivière February 27th 2021 12:24 PM

While at work we often have to deal with a lot of cleaning due to a great deal of sweaty people (mostly men) not cleaning down equipment properly. We do wear gloves etc but sometimes we don't always get time to sit down and eat a proper meal.

Normally when this happens I tend to go for something that can be unwrapped. Even if you haven't been able to wash your hands, you can still tear the outer packaging away and bite down into the food without contaminating it.

Golden syrup flapjacks are a great for me because they're mostly oats, so a slow-release carbohydrate, and the syrup is sweet and energy is released quickly. You could consider making your own or experimenting with other flavours like peanut butter, mixed fruit, and so on. Though it would depend on how much time you have to prepare them. You could bake them in batches so you have enough for the week. To cover them, you could wrap them in grease-proof paper or something similar where you can be able to move them out of the packaging without actually touching the contents with your hands.

Another can be small bite-size sandwiches using a baguette, or a miniature form of one. Due to the way they're shaped, it's much easier to get them out of the packaging without having to touch anything, and depending on how they're prepared, filling doesn't slip out and go everywhere unlike when using regular sliced bread.

Dawn. February 28th 2021 08:38 AM

I tend to go for food that can be unwrapped too. I hate it when I can't unwrap it due to if there is a lack of time for me to wash my hands.

hocus pocus February 28th 2021 05:16 PM

I was going to say what Sarah said. I tend to go for things you can unwrap when I am on the go, like a granola bar. I unwrap it and eat it kind of like how you peel a banana. With that said you might be able to eat bananas too.

Another thing I was thinking are muffins, because you can sort of eat those without touching them. You can make your own if you want and put some healthy stuff in them.

Sprite-1 March 27th 2021 04:07 PM

Bento boxes are very useful because food such as muffins, cereal bars (those granola?) can be placed into the Bento's sections prior to be handed out. Bananas are a must as are easy-peel oranges.

Healthy pre-packaged snacks, protein bars, salmon and avocado wraps, or sushi all sealed in cellophane and pots of yoghurt and/or hummus are simply great, not forgetting cellophane-wrapped plastic cutlery that can be disposed of after use.

Examples of Bento boxes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento

Allyson Wood May 13th 2021 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprite-1 (Post 1364877)
Bento boxes are very useful because food such as muffins, cereal bars (those granola?) can be placed into the Bento's sections prior to be handed out. Bananas are a must as are easy-peel oranges.

Healthy pre-packaged snacks, protein bars, salmon and avocado wraps, or sushi all sealed in cellophane and pots of yoghurt and/or hummus are simply great, not forgetting cellophane-wrapped plastic cutlery that can be disposed of after use.

Examples of Bento boxes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento

I love Bento boxes!