TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Food and Recipes (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/)
-   -   Do you like spicy food? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/t161436-do-you-like-spicy-food/)

Rivière March 17th 2021 04:33 PM

Do you like spicy food?

I was just sat here scoffing leftover madras curry from last night when I started talking about it with a friend. Apparently people consider it a spicy curry. Granted a vindaloo is spicy to me. Not madras. It just kind of tickles my throat and mostly tastes fruity.

At university, I lived with a girl from Malaysia who had birds eye chillies in all her chicken soups, and she really liked spicy food in general. At one point we tried those Korean fire noodles (both flavours) and though they tasted spicy... it was more of a peppery spice to me.

Overall I guess I just like spicy food. It's the only food I sit back and enjoy eating it slowly.

Do you like spicy food? What kind do you prefer?

DeletedAccount59 March 17th 2021 04:43 PM

Re: Do you like spicy food?

I haven't had a diverse amount of food origination from countries of Asia; but I have had ready made meals that were mock-Asian and had spiciness in them. Of course, it's probably nothing like the real deal. :nosweat:

I can tolerate spicy food in a minimal amount, or when it's secondary to another flavor.

Everglow. March 17th 2021 07:19 PM

I enjoy spicy food as long as it doesn't take over all the other flavours. I usually cook with birdseye chillis in my curries and sauces at home. one of my favourite flavours is chilli with ginger and garlic.

Ennui. March 18th 2021 12:34 AM

I do, even though it hurts, haha.

NeuroBeautiful March 18th 2021 03:46 AM

I like garlic, black pepper, sometimes serachi sauce not always. Not sure what birdseye chili is.

My family is middle eastern but because we lived bear a Chinatown we often bought good from Chinese grocery stores. This usually meant serachi sauce and tofu. I also like olive oil and will make a dressing with spices and olive oil.

Lately I've been kind of removed from what I usually eat. It is complicated but that has to do with where I'm living.

So now I eat the most boring things like salad without dressing. Not even salt. Lol. So strange. Yet so familiar due to the salad vegetables

Kate* March 18th 2021 04:58 AM

Kind of, but not really. I'm SUPER sensitive, so it can only have a little bit of a kick to it or else I can't handle it. But, I do like the little bit of spice that I can handle.

Dawn. March 18th 2021 05:18 AM

I'm not a fan of spicy food lol. I don't mind a little bit but anything more than that, I can't handle the heat. :hehe:

Sprite-1 March 19th 2021 12:13 PM

Technically in India, Madras curry doesn't exist. It's an Anglicised version of a hot curry, chiefly made with a mix of spicy curry powders instead of fresh chillies and meat of your choice.

Vindaloo originates from Southern India where all curries are hot and hotter still.

I love spicy food, specially Indian and my favourite comes from the Northern region using Kashmiri chillies which taste fruity and often are ground into fine powder, but nowhere as hot. Hottish, yes. But if you prefer the heat of what Everglow referred to, then use bird-eye chillies, seeds included and finely chopped. Bird-eye chillis are generally known as 'Apache' of which red are the hottest, preferably closer to the stalk instead of the end.

There are green chillis which are mostly used chopped up in a salad. I love eating them. They are cooling on hot weather but won't burn your mouth out.

There is a wonderful book, decades old now by the late Harvey Day 'with Sarojini Mudnani'. Wendi has a hardback copy of The Curries of India which she bought online for less than £5. If you have a second-hand bookshop in town you might find a copy there. Also she bought Harvey Day, The Complete Book of Curries, 1970. It's well worth seeking out because both books give great recipes.

Wendi has just given me the address of Sarojini Mudnani's Curry Powders here. http://macheads2.net/recipes/SMCurryPowder.html

Another book Wendi put on my desk with a smile is Ismail Merchant's Indian Cuisine. Another lovely book which contains pickles and chutney recipes from India.

I love Tandoori Chicken or Turkey. There are many recipes the best being found in BBC Good Food. You don't need a tandoor. A hot oven will do just fine. Skin the bird, slash the flesh all over with a sharp knife and wearing vinyl gloves, slather spiced plain yoghurt mix all over the fowl, getting it deep into the flesh. It's yummy! When we make it we use finely chopped bird-eye chillis, or Kashmiri chillis (the latter usually dried); we'll use at least 5 because the yoghurt mixture will cool the heat down, so more chillis are used.

Side salads are never eaten with curry and you will be silently laughed at. Either sprinkle broken up puppadams or use a Peshwari naan to mop up the juices. For a real side I love cauliflower bhaji, Bombay potatoes (Harvey Day), or Aloo Ghobi which is a nice tasty mix of cauli and taters.

I like hot curries including Balti, but avoid seafood such as shrimp because that needs to be very fresh but can be expensive, so it's either chicken, turkey, beef or lamb.

Here is the excellent Wikipedia that describes the Scoville Scale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Whenever handling chilli always, always use vinyl gloves!

startangle April 20th 2021 02:32 AM

Samyang is my favorite spicy noodle to eat.

Allyson Wood May 13th 2021 03:46 AM

Same here, I love Asian spicy noodles.

Liqued July 23rd 2021 08:31 PM

Thank you for the info.

Turbo Rocket April 12th 2022 04:31 PM

I am into spicy food. My favorite spice is cayenne pepper

Astro04 April 12th 2022 05:43 PM

I absolutely can't eat anything spicy due my intolerance. If I eat some, even a little, I have to run at the bathroom.

BoyNextDoor April 17th 2022 12:31 AM

the spicier the better in my case [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Rika April 17th 2022 02:04 AM

I like some spicy foods, not too many.

JohnPotter September 23rd 2022 06:51 AM

Yes, I like spicy food