TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Food and Recipes (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/)
-   -   Easter baking ideas (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f184-food-recipes/t161502-easter-baking-ideas/)

Sprite-1 March 31st 2021 12:08 PM

Easter baking ideas

I found some super baking suggestions from this site on my browser. Easter baking ideas, Olive online magazine

If you have any other goodies for this coming Easter, I'd love to see them! :D

Everglow. March 31st 2021 06:52 PM

Re: Easter baking ideas

It looks like there's some very yummy ideas on that web page. Thanks for sharing! For me, hot cross buns are hands down THE easter food! Anything with mini eggs is also a win, and for some reason I really associate chocolate cornflake nests with Easter too. But there's not much baking involved in that. :bleh:

Dawn. April 1st 2021 04:27 AM

The food looks so yummy! :bleh:

Allyson Wood April 1st 2021 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprite-1 (Post 1365192)
I found some super baking suggestions from this site on my browser. Easter baking ideas, Olive online magazine

If you have any other goodies for this coming Easter, I'd love to see them! :D

Irresistible! All are delicious, giving me a hard time choosing! Thank you so much for sharing. Got new delicious recipes.

Sprite-1 April 1st 2021 08:07 AM

I enjoy baking because being in the kitchen takes away all my anxiety. This morning quite early, I went to the market to buy vegetables for some special Indian pickle and chutney recipes which I'm going to write up to share in this forum later. Like Sweet Peach chutney which I'm always having to make because I caught Julie pigging it straight from the jar. Yeah. :rolleyes:

Easter buns are a big favourite! I make my own sweet spice mixture from Elizabeth David, a doyen cook from years ago who left a legacy of some wonderful recipes for all the world to enjoy.

But now I'm going to share two varying recipes for Sacher Torte, a glorious cake that originated in Austria in 1832 of which the cake if bought today would cost €58.90 < exactly! :o

The original Sacher Torte recipe is illustrated here, but falls short as the original Sacher Torte recipe is a closely guarded secret. https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-torte/recipe/

According to my lawyer friend, the recipe is much closer to this: https://www.theomaway.com/baking/sacher-torte-recipe/ ...and it will take time to make, like the first. Except these ingredients will not cost you a wallet denting €58, but a lot less. That said, if you lived in Monaco, a certain patisserie down the road will rip you off €90 so this is why we love baking our own. And perfect for enjoying Easter Sunday.

Some of those recipes from Olive magazine are quite amazing. If I had all day here in our kitchen I'd bring in my hammock! :nosweat:

Sprite-1 April 1st 2021 12:30 PM

In Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery is her sweet spice mixture recipe. Note that before use, it's ground down into a fine powder.

1 level teaspoon black peppercorns*
1 level teaspoon whole cloves
2 teaspoons coriander seed
half level teaspoon green cardamom seeds (removed from shell)
half a grated fresh nutmeg
half inch of cinnamon stick
one quarter level teaspoon dried powdered ginger

* Elizabeth David states the black pepper helps set, or marry the spice mixture. It's true. Adding black pepper brings the spice flavours together. I never knew the importance of adding pepper. You won't notice any peppery taste, but you will definitely love this pronounced sweet spice mix because it's delightfully pungent in either her Hot Cross Buns or Chelsea Buns recipes. (Links below)

Tip. When preparing the dried fruit in the bowl, be it mixed peel and/or currants, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of her sweet spice mixture into the fruit and mix thoroughly. When you come to roll out the dough, after painting melted butter over the dough, then liberally sprinkle the spiced fruit before rolling the dough to resemble a slim Swiss Roll. Make smaller Chelsea buns instead of larger. Allowing space between each circle, once in the oven the yeasty dough will expand, making that square shape that Chelsea buns are reknowned for.

'16' Hot Cross Buns are never enough because people, or us, will be eating lots. This is why in my family I double the ingredients. :hehe:

Recipe links:
Elizabeth David’s Sugary, Spicy, Sticky and Square Chelsea Buns

Easter, Hot Cross Buns & British Superstition (recipe).

Celyn April 1st 2021 04:32 PM

Yesterday, we made a chocolate cake. It was actually a Christmas present...one of those children's cake making kits that I bought for a laugh. We had a laugh making it as there was a lot of icing sugar and it got everywhere!

Other than that, I agree, hot cross buns are definitely the best Easter treats :)

Rivière April 1st 2021 05:18 PM

Thank you for the link. :)

My family and I haven't baked for Easter in years. We mostly bought a chocolate egg each and that was it. That said, I think we've sort of grown out of it and consider to be like any other day.

I do remember growing up and enjoying Cadbury's Mini Eggs along with chocolate cornflake nests, and homemade Rice Krispie cakes though. :D

Sprite-1 April 2nd 2021 02:32 PM

Thank you both. :)

Since Wendi is too tired after work and Julie's Long Covid varies, I'm chief cook with Ted. It's actually relaxing in the kitchen. I've never experienced any anxiety while cooking.

Tomorrow I'm roasting Moroccan lamb.

Liqued July 23rd 2021 08:52 PM

I'll take a note.