TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Books and Literature (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f198-books-literature/)
-   -   Your favourite book/book series (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f198-books-literature/t161077-your-favourite-book-book-series/)

Everglow. January 3rd 2021 07:33 PM

Your favourite book/book series
 
What is your favourite book or book series and why do you love it?

Bookshops are closed in London and I'd love to read something new based on what other people enjoy!

Silvan January 3rd 2021 08:32 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It's been with me since I was 12, but it is by no means a children's book. It's a medieval fantasy novel, the life story of Fitz, compelling and masterfully written.

DeletedAccount69 January 4th 2021 06:53 AM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
I have lot but I'll only suggest a few. :p

Series:

The Daevabad series. The first book is kingdom of Brass.
Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. It's a four book series. It is pretty intense and there is some death and murder and abuse.

Graphic novels:

Motor Crush
Gideon Falls

Stand alone:

The Nightigale by Kristin Hannah (all time fave).
Night Road, Firefly lane, winter garden, the great alone by Kristin Hannah. These are sad but worth it if you're in the mood for thst.
The Vanishing Half
The House on the Cerulean Sea
My dark Vanessa (TW rape)
The once and future witches

DeletedAccount53 January 4th 2021 12:47 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
The Golden Compass and Lyra's Oxford
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol
J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan
Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass and Lyra's Oxford (very Steampunk).
A Clockwork Orange - Antony Burgess [Note Trigger warnings apply]


In the last 2 months:
The Dawn of Bohemianism - George Levitine
The World of Charles and Ray Eames - Catherine Ince
Switched on: Women Who Revolutionized Style in the 60's - David Wills
J.W. Godward 1861-1922: The Eclipse of Classicism - Vern G. Swanson
Literary Knowing in Neoclassical France from Poetics to Aesthetics - Ann T. Delehanty.
The Tudors in Europe - John Matusiak
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists - Mark Hanna

Everglow. January 4th 2021 10:09 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matter (Post 1360585)
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It's been with me since I was 12, but it is by no means a children's book. It's a medieval fantasy novel, the life story of Fitz, compelling and masterfully written.

Sounds interesting! I'll have a look, thank you :) I find often it;s the books you read when you're younger that really stick with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. (Post 1360599)
I have lot but I'll only suggest a few. :p

Series:

The Daevabad series. The first book is kingdom of Brass.
Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. It's a four book series. It is pretty intense and there is some death and murder and abuse.

Graphic novels:

Motor Crush
Gideon Falls

Stand alone:

The Nightigale by Kristin Hannah (all time fave).
Night Road, Firefly lane, winter garden, the great alone by Kristin Hannah. These are sad but worth it if you're in the mood for thst.
The Vanishing Half
The House on the Cerulean Sea
My dark Vanessa (TW rape)
The once and future witches

The Nightingale sounds like my sort of book D: I'm adding this to my list! I love a good war book, thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a look at her others too if I like it, especially the ones you've listed. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pork Chops (Post 1360613)
The Golden Compass and Lyra's Oxford
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol
J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan
Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass and Lyra's Oxford (very Steampunk).
A Clockwork Orange - Antony Burgess


In the last 2 months:
The Dawn of Bohemianism - George Levitine
The World of Charles and Ray Eames - Catherine Ince
Switched on: Women Who Revolutionized Style in the 60's - David Wills
J.W. Godward 1861-1922: The Eclipse of Classicism - Vern G. Swanson
Literary Knowing in Neoclassical France from Poetics to Aesthetics - Ann T. Delehanty.
The Tudors in Europe - John Matusiak
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists - Mark Hanna

Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite books! It took me a long time to read because of the complicated language, but it's written in such a clever, artistic way. Huge trigger warning for anyone who sees this and wants to read it though (rape, violence), but I agree that it's a wonderful book. Thank you for your suggestions too, I'll have a bit of a research :D

DeletedAccount69 January 4th 2021 11:19 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Everglow. (Post 1360632)


Sounds interesting! I'll have a look, thank you :) I find often it;s the books you read when you're younger that really stick with you.



The Nightingale sounds like my sort of book D: I'm adding this to my list! I love a good war book, thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a look at her others too if I like it, especially the ones you've listed. :D



Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite books! It took me a long time to read because of the complicated language, but it's written in such a clever, artistic way. Huge trigger warning for anyone who sees this and wants to read it though (rape, violence), but I agree that it's a wonderful book. Thank you for your suggestions too, I'll have a bit of a research :D

I hope you like it! It's one of my all time favorite book. A super picky reader in my book club said I give good recommendations. I hope that's true for this book. :)

Dawn. January 5th 2021 06:21 AM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Still Alice is a good book.
Harry Potter.
There's too many to choose from lol.

Sprite-1 March 23rd 2021 10:59 AM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Presently I'm reading Gina LaManna's The Hex Files, a 7-book series. Its genre is Paranormal. Gina LaManna writes very well, and it is rare that she can write in the 1st person, then switch to 'God's Eye View'. That takes skill.

I've just finished A. C. Henley's McKee, 10th Anniversary

DeletedAccount69 March 26th 2021 03:24 AM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Everglow. (Post 1360582)
What is your favourite book or book series and why do you love it?

Bookshops are closed in London and I'd love to read something new based on what other people enjoy!

Idk if you'll see this but did you end up picking up any of these books?

Everglow. March 26th 2021 11:01 AM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. (Post 1364763)
Idk if you'll see this but did you end up picking up any of these books?

I definitely plan on it! Bookshops are still closed for now, but due to open in April covid pending. If they do, I work right opposite a book shop and I'll definitely be picking some of these up to read then. :)

Sprite-1 March 26th 2021 10:20 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Neither Present Time by Caren J. Werlinger. Another one of my favourite authors is Daphne du Maurier. Ted and I are share-reading Jamaica Inn but our joint favourite, is The Loving Spirit.

DeletedAccount59 April 2nd 2021 02:31 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Everglow. (Post 1364769)


I definitely plan on it! Bookshops are still closed for now, but due to open in April covid pending. If they do, I work right opposite a book shop and I'll definitely be picking some of these up to read then. :)

Feel free to share what your thoughts are on these books as you move along in them. :)

Everglow. May 17th 2021 01:25 PM

Re: Your favourite book/book series
 
Just to say, I started The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah on Friday. I'm about half way through and I'm really liking it. Thanks for suggesting it! :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
All material copyright 1998-2022, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile