TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Books and Literature (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f198-books-literature/)
-   -   Literature in 2022. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f198-books-literature/t163537-literature-2022-a/)

DeletedAccount81 December 20th 2022 04:21 PM

Literature in 2022.

What was the best thing you've read this year? What was the worst thing you've read? Did you stumble across a new favorite author? In January, did you decide on a reading goal and have you been able to accomplish that? Did you have anything that were left as DNF — did not finish? What made you want to stop reading it?

What are your reading goals for 2023?

I've actually only completed one book this year — so far! :nosweat:

I've read two books early on in the year — probably why I've been so turned off from reading original fiction in 2022! — that definitely left me feeling unsettled. Not surprisingly, I left them as DNF. One of them, I perceived as being ableist even though it was supposed to be set in some sort of post-apocalyptic world. The other included sensitive topics surrounding children; but the summary on Amazon gave me the impression that it would be supernatural. Once I caught on and my gut told me to quit, I did.

My reading goals for 2023 remains the same number as before: ten. I hope to redirect my focus back on original fiction, and I might even do a few re-reads next year. I certainly don't want to get overly ambitious, though. :nosweat:

Ennui. December 20th 2022 06:40 PM

Re: Literature in 2022.

I didn't have a reading goal but I think the best book I read was She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. There are some potentially triggering spots though for anyone who may look it up.
My goal is to read the Delirium trilogy in 2023 and just get back into reading again.

Silvan December 21st 2022 12:05 PM

In September 2021 I started reading a fantasy series called 'Legends of the first Empire' by Michael Sullivan. I had randomly picked it from my local library, and later it turned out this was a 6-volume-prequel to a 6-volume-main story ('The Riyria Revelations'). Reading all of the 12 books took me time until May 2022, but I loved every minute of it. It was a great read, and I sincerely recommend it to all fantasy readers.

Now I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's 'The Stormlight Archive'. Again this is a series consisting of a few books, each roughly 1000 pages, so it takes some time to go through it. Still it's pretty good and I think the world this author has created is very interesting and full of fascinating concepts.

Everglow. December 21st 2022 07:29 PM

I planned on reading a lot of books this year and probably only read maybe 5 or 6 because I've been so busy. But there were a couple of books I read and really enjoyed.

I read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke which I unexpectedly really liked.
I also read The Museum of Ordinary People by Mike Gayle which was basically me in a book :)