TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Peer Pressure and Bullying (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f20-peer-pressure-bullying/)
-   -   To all those who have been bullied, Do you believe it effected the way you function at school? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f20-peer-pressure-bullying/t68541-all-those-who-have-been-bullied-do-you-believe-effected-way-you-function-school/)

LostTeen011 March 3rd 2011 08:43 PM

To all those who have been bullied, Do you believe it effected the way you function at school?

I believe that bullying effected my attitude towards school and grades. Before the bullying took place I had no problems with school at all. I was making A's and B's, and the only thing I didn't like about school was the fact I had to wake up so early. When I transitioned into middle school and I constantly was bullied everyday almost that's when things started to change. I hated the fact that I had to go to school with these kids. I didn't want to go to school just to be made fun of. My grades started to slip and I just didn't care anymore. Now here I am, my senior year in high school, with a 2.0 gpa and no CLUE as to what I'm going to do when graduation comes. I know I had all the capability to be better than this, but I didn't try to.

I want to know if anyone else feels that bullying has effected their attitude towards school or grades.

Everglow. March 3rd 2011 08:54 PM

Re: To all those who have been bullied, Do you believe it effected the way you function at school?

Yes, I do.

I remember a time i used to love school. Especially primary, because once you started getting towards the end, people began to come out of their shells, including me. But when i went to high school everything went wrong.

Because of the bullying I believe it has affected my social skills. I feel so scared to talk to new people, that often I would rather sit on my own and not ask for help with work. It has gotten to the point where, alot of the time, i'm afraid to raise my hand in class in case i get the answer wrong, or even right, and get laughed at because of it.

Occasionally i have felt the need to stay home, but i try my best to go in with it being my last year so therefore a very important one. In primary when i had problems in about year 2, i took a while off because i was just scared of crying everyday like i had been.

Now I just put in some earphones, or ignore everything and get on with my work. Unfortunatly, it has made me paranoid so i get upset a lot over something that is really nothing, and this also affects my school life as my mood has a lot to do with what i do during lessons.

Doodle. March 3rd 2011 09:24 PM

Re: To all those who have been bullied, Do you believe it effected the way you function at school?

YES! God yes. My confidence in a school-environment (including college) is awful, truly awful due to this :|

Eternal March 4th 2011 02:02 AM

I think it did a little. Things are different then they were before.

Berries and Cream March 4th 2011 03:21 AM

I can't say I've been directly bullied, but those subtle comments have hurt me then. But luckly, I'm in a good environment surrounded by wonderful people :)

lostandalone March 4th 2011 03:34 AM

Yes, it has.

Guile March 4th 2011 08:32 AM

Yes, it made me into the cold-hearted cynic I am today. When I was younger I was very care free, fun-loving, and playful. Now when most people are bullied they become reserved or shy, but for some odd reason it had the oppposite affect on me. Now I am cold, calculating, logical, manipulative, and opinionated. Odd huh? But yes, bullying changed who I am as a person, but has helped me do better in school, it pushed me into a very calculating style of thought, so I became more rational and my grades went up.

Lotus Eater March 4th 2011 12:13 PM

Yes, it shattered my self-esteem and hammered my confidence. It wasn't the sole reason I began to perform poorly at school, but it was the reason I began to dread going to school. Having to be around my "fellow classmates" with their condescending stares and hurtful words made school a little less bearable than it otherwise would have been. Then again, bullying was just one of few issues I was facing at that time in my life, so I didn't let it rule/control my school-life to such an extent. It stopped after ninth grade for the most part, as people started to mature. But they always had this way of looking at me like I was below them...not fun.

Snufkin March 4th 2011 03:06 PM

It didn't affect my grades, no. It was my own fault that my grades weren't as good later on in school, nothing to do with bullying. Bullying just made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe in an environment which is supposed to feel both comfortable and safe, but it didn't ever stop me attaining good results.

Trickmatic March 4th 2011 03:11 PM

I do believe that bullying in elementary school and even in high school affected me. It affected how much I felt comfortable voicing my opinions in group projects, and just overall confidence with all life aspects. Bullying affected me more socially than academically though.

Noelle, a very similar thing happened to me with my marks, which had a little bit of correlation with bullying, and I feared I wouldn't even get into any post-secondary schools. It sucks, but we've just got to do what we can to fight it and ask for support from those around us.

Maloo March 4th 2011 08:00 PM

It didn't affect my grades, but it made me absolutely hate school.

kitkat_kate March 4th 2011 09:10 PM

My vote was yes. While I got good grades, part of that was because I had no friends so I had no real option but to do my school work...it was how I coped. It also, however, made me miserable. I might have done well, but I would fake sick regularly to avoid the ridicule and often had to appeal my grades in high school because I was gone so often.

So yes, it definitely affected my schoolwork, but the consequence might not have been as directly visible.

Quartet March 4th 2011 09:30 PM

I was bullied pretty heavily when I moved from America to Holland.
At age 9 having to learn a whole new culture, language, and trying to grow up, it puts a lot of stress on a person.

Then add being teased daily, it really made school hard for me. My grades went down severely. I had no confidence, I dreaded school, I hated talking to people, it was horrible. I was teased for so many reasons, for a very, very long time I believed I was worthless and had very little awareness of what my self value was. It was from age 9 to age 11/12. Every. Single. Year. I had 0 friends.

I think anyone that goes through bullying in school, especially at such an age, will have a hard time in school during and afterward. I used to have a very hard time concentrating, but that has gone away for the most part. I'm typically an A student, but, of course, like everyone else on earth I have flaws. I procrastinate, stuff happens. I'd say that being bullied has had a very big part of why I am the way I am today.

*AbbyRoad March 4th 2011 09:42 PM

I-...I'm going through this right now. I am coming home crying. My parents can't help... I Just don't care anymore. I end up crying in the bathroom because of people. it hurts. :C

*CatchingStars* March 4th 2011 10:45 PM

yes it affected the way i acted i used to be loud talkitive then ppl judged me and i went shy and quiets and my grades went down and i was lost like no one like me no one cared but now i say who cares wat they think the only person that can tell me wat to do and how to look is me

Coreless_Serenity March 8th 2011 01:17 AM

It's effected me greatly and certainly has taken its toll on my life. A bunch of inconsiderate uncaring shits took away seven months of my life and turned it into something worse than hell. They ended up putting me in a mental hospital twice. My grades dropped from A's and B's to all C's. I never minded school, but when I started to be bullied, I hated it. I dreaded every single day knowing I'd be treated like crap. All my feelings of happiness transformed into feelings of hatred and pain. For awhile, bullying ruined my life.
But it has made me stronger.

NevermindMe March 9th 2011 03:24 PM

For sure. I was bullied severly in third grade (Hence why I changed to homeschooling myself in grade four. A new school happily mailed their stuff to me that I kept for a year, mailed it back, and they marked it all) I involved me being yelled at, but mostly hit. The kid was a foot taller than the second tallest kid in the class (Seriously.) and a foot and a half taller than the shortest kid (Me.)
One day he brought a full bottle of ketchup to school, I wondered why until he dumped the whole thing over my sandwhich and granola bar. I told the teachers and they scolded him, but the next day he was at it again. He spat and sneezed on my lunch, threw it on the floor, I went without lunch for most of third grade! ON the playground I hid most of the time. He chased me and overall bullied me. The last straw was when he stabbed me in the arm with a pair of scissors. I'm homeschooled now, but the next year my grades improved alot, because I no longer was worried about the bully and thinking about how I was to avoid him in our next free time.

Saphire March 9th 2011 08:15 PM

I wouldn't say I was properly bullied because I never let it get me down at all, and the people who were saying stuff were once my friends and to be honest I'm not bothered in the slightest that we're not friends anymore. But anyway, because I chose to ignore it all and took the approach of "their lives must be so sad that they cant find anything to talk about but try and think up abuse for me" that my attitude to school never really changed and I still got A*s and As in my exams a few months after. Hopefully this could be a message to others of you who were bullied, because I know how hard it is to ignore what people say, but if you overcome it, you'll be the bigger people in the end - prove them all wrong!

Magic. March 10th 2011 09:20 PM

I was really badly bullied when I first switched to secondary school (age 11) and it made me really wary of people. Even when I switched a year and a half later to a nicer school, with nicer people, I was super super shy because I thought they were just being fake nice so they could hurt me like had happened before. I think I missed out making a lot of friends because of it.
I guess it affected my grades a little too. I was bullied for being a nerd, i.e. I didn't the tiny amount of work we were set ... so at my new school I always made sure I didn't do any extra in case people started saying the old things to me. I probably would have done better in school if I hadn't been so wary of people judging me ...

alicelikescookies March 13th 2011 12:35 PM

I remember being bullyed from the first to the seventh grade. I was teased, humiliated, hit, left out, talked about behind my back... I was always a good student, though. I remember always being nervous before leaving for school but I guess not having all the friends in the world to talk to in class made me concentrate more and focus on my studies. It affected me emotionally and I still feel the consequences in my behaviour but somehow it never affected my studies.

01love March 26th 2011 01:53 PM

Yes. It never affected my academic performance, but I myself changed as a person. I can't be the worry-free & outgoing person I was before, it feels awkward now... ):

Obliviate March 26th 2011 03:47 PM

It didn't affect my grades or anything. It made me nervous to go to school and stuff... but if anything, it made me a stronger person. It taught me to stick up for myself...

NonIndigenous March 27th 2011 04:07 AM

It's fucked me up. I pushed through school and got mostly A/Bs or higher... but it's made my attitude to lots of people hostile at least. I try not to be and it's not so bad anymore but I still easily spin off and go nuts at times. I don't take jokes well from strangers, more than once Ive overreacted... and well when it comes to physical attacks Im pschycopathic in response.

I guess... I'll go into more detail. Yea I got mostly As and Bs leaving school... but I'm pissed off with tryin' to make it into a "nice" 9am till 5pm career working with the same kinda shitheads that I lived with in school. So Im in college/university now and doin the bare minimum to get a 2:1... and focusing most of my energy on music. If it wasn't for the bullying I probably wouldn't be doing this... and probably gettin a 1:1, but at the same time it's kind of a choice I made halfway through my 1st year in university.

alixthetree March 27th 2011 05:16 AM

Absolutly. Like others have said, in elementry school I did good in my classes. It wasn't until towards the end of my 6th grade year that things started to change. I became very very introverted and hardly ever spoke up because when I did I was constantly told that absolutly no one cared about what I had to say. Even now in college I'm still very introverted. I don't really socialize with others unless I'm forced too (e.g. group project) or they talk to me first and even then I just want the conversation to be over. It's affected me in things like interviews as well, not being able to talk to new people very well doesn't give you the best chance of getting a job.

One thing I do find though is that in certain situations I'm able to talk to people easier. Like during my current job, but maybe it's cause I've also had it for 3 years. I also find it easier to have a conversation with someone I don't know at all over the internet, when there usually isn't a chance of ever meeting that person.

I just hate that they, the people doing the bullying, don't think about how it's going to effect other for the rest of their lives.

Koharuchan March 27th 2011 09:47 PM

Absolutely. In elementary I was an honor roll student, then when I got to middle school it all went to pot.

I got bullied by EVERYONE. I got picked on, tripped, shoved, beaten, my head slammed into lockers, death threats, people stole my possesions, you name it. Even the school staff was horrible to me. The bruises and cuts on my body were never enough proof, and they never bothered checking the damn cameras to see these kids bullying me. My grades dropped and I found any excuse I could to get out of school. I barely scraped through middle school.

Now I'm in high school. After 8th grade we moved so I could start in a new environment. I made tons of friends and my grades are better. I still have deep scars from the past that sometimes open up, but for the most part I have decent grades now that I'm no longer bullied. It absolutely affects how you do in school.

Xineas March 27th 2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koharuchan (Post 609677)
I got bullied by EVERYONE. I got picked on, tripped, shoved, beaten, my head slammed into lockers, death threats, people stole my possesions, you name it.

:o :( :? *) :'(

That's so sad and unbelievably ridiculous on so many levels... Disgusting how they would even dare to do that.

Boo on them. :hug:

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! March 27th 2011 11:55 PM

One of the main reasons I got bullied was because of my high grades, along with having a "weird accent", saying words in a different sounding, etc... . Despite my parents coming home late and being out of the province, country or even continent quite frequently, so my grandmother, who spoke poor English, when it came to the teacher giving one-on-one literary tests, I got the highest, hell, I was scoring in ranges higher than grades above me were scoring. Math was about the same, it was the reason I got to skip grades and got bored in class. I was doing math work outside school at much higher levels because in school, it was boring. By the time in grade 4-5 the class was learning how to add fractions with the same common denominator, I was finishing dividing fractions with different denominators.

This was one of the common reasons I got bullied and people in higher grades were pretty annoyed, some tried to beat me up to have my grades lowered. I ended up laughing at them and used it as motivation to do even better and maintain on the Dean's list throughout school and high-school.

The only negative effect, although it could have been from genetics from my father, I had one hell of a temper, I got annoyed of being beaten up but I knew I had no hope of winning a 8-1 fight. A few days later after I had time to lick my wounds, I intentionally got some of them angry so they'd come at me and I'd run to the usual area where kids other than myself got beat up but I had set a "trap". In the end, they came swinging and I had my stuff set up so I became the bully. I thought it worked but some would attack from behind in a coward-like way so I figured the way for me to not get beaten up was to show no mercy. Unfortunately, the result was I developed a hair trigger and it took not much to make me so angry, everything in the class got ignored and all my rage got focused just on them. To the teacher, I was staring off elsewhere so they'd tell me to pay attention and the bullies still got a chance to laugh.

From some stuff that happened at home, I eventually was able to simmer down my anger and became quite skilled at winning against not only the bullies but certain others, using psychological non-physical ways. I was able to control my anger much better, suppressed feelings, gained confidence and quickly was able to become "popular", make more popular friends, get with the females more, etc.. . I felt better about everything and any attempts to bully me either got laughed at, used at motivation to get higher grades or I psychologically got the upper hand and only let go once they dropped far down. I was taught at home that you'll need to step on people to be successful so don't whine about doing so, and I did.

End result was bullying made me better academically and challenged me as a person to become better.

Unknown10 March 28th 2011 03:26 PM

Unfortunately, bullying has affected my grades, but I'm making them a lot better currently. :)

chrissy2009 March 29th 2011 06:09 AM

Yeah it did very much. Cause I couldn't put my concentration back on my school work.

Taeson March 30th 2011 01:48 AM

It messed me up a little. Like you I got hostile with people and i didnt even mean to. I also learned not to take anyones bullshit. i don't take jokes to well either. I flipped out on anyone who made a joke I didnt like. It was even worse when my family did it. A lot of people became scared of me and i didnt bully or hurt anyone. I put my focuse into my schoolwork and pushed people away (i still do).

I Miss You March 31st 2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTeen011 (Post 595314)
I believe that bullying effected my attitude towards school and grades. Before the bullying took place I had no problems with school at all. I was making A's and B's, and the only thing I didn't like about school was the fact I had to wake up so early. When I transitioned into middle school and I constantly was bullied everyday almost that's when things started to change. I hated the fact that I had to go to school with these kids. I didn't want to go to school just to be made fun of. My grades started to slip and I just didn't care anymore. Now here I am, my senior year in high school, with a 2.0 gpa and no CLUE as to what I'm going to do when graduation comes. I know I had all the capability to be better than this, but I didn't try to.

I want to know if anyone else feels that bullying has effected their attitude towards school or grades.

well..it sure affected me in so many ways...in some ways it still affects me today..i have abandoment/trust issues with people..i dont let people in...Im soooo afraid of getting hurt..i tend to push people away

all i could think about was if someone..anyone liked me...

the bullying started around 4th grade and countined on through senior year..by the time i hit jr high..my GPA was a 1.85...

and by the time my senior year came..i started making up excuses to stay home..knowing that the abuse was so bad...

when the abuse first started..i hated school from that point on...

this is a really hard subject for me..i should stop talking

Drew

DeletedAccount31 April 1st 2011 10:49 AM

I really took a blow to my self-esteem when I was bullied in middle school. While it didn't affect my grades then, my low self-esteem did carry over into high school, where I did find it hard to keep up with my schoolwork and interact with my peers due to this lack of confidence. So indirectly, yes, it impacted my grades and work ethic. In terms of immediate effects, it made me absolutely hate school.

bethhhjo April 2nd 2011 08:47 PM

Yes, I definately think it did. When I was being bullied, I just wanted to be anywhere but school, I hated my classes because the bullies shared a lot of them with me. So yeah, it did. :')

WhisperingSilence April 3rd 2011 10:46 AM

yes i do belive it affected me at school as i was bullied in high school from the day i started high school right to the day i left high school , so i started to act out in class ect thinking it would make myself less prone to bullying but it didnt, just made things worse, i got kicked out of class and threatend with suspension, i went from this good school kid to a school kid who the teachers constantly told off , and i thought that because the people that bullied me never did thier work i began to copy them and skip class so i could be more like them and hopefully that way they would stop bullying me it did not work.

it still affects me to this day, i am extremeley deffensive, i expect people to treat me badly due to the way i was treated in school its affecting alot of things the thing it mostly affects is my day to day life, at work im very deffensive, as soon as someone says something to me asking me to do something i feel i have to explain myself, i have also been known to turn down praise, and pass it off as oh it was nothing or something along thoose lines. bullying affected me at school and i changed myself, my school work and attitude towards school changed, instead of enjoying school and wanting to go i began to turn up late, bunk, skive class ect. i went from getting my homework in on time to it never being in on time and being the kid who never broke a single school rule to detentions every week (which i bunked or if the bullies were really after me i did attend them, at lunch but the after school ones i always bunked)

lilmissdontwannabehere April 14th 2011 03:24 PM

Yeah it did. I ended up becoming the tuff one in the class. The girl that even scared some boys. I stoped trying to impress anyone with looks and almost looked homeless. My grades dropped from As and Bs so much that I almost failed seventh grade. I graduated with mostly D-s. I also had it at home though so I had a lot of other problems i hid at school

DarkKristi April 15th 2011 03:55 PM

Unlike most people, I'm going through this phase now. Of all the times, it has to be now! I have my finals in a few weeks and it is what I need to see if I can get into college.

I haven't been called names right in my face before, but that's what hurts me. Especially when it comes from the friends that used to be your 'best friends'. I know this because I've heard them say it. Being in the same dorm, it's impossible to not hear it. I usually listen to music whenever I'm in my dorm, but when I find out that their talking about me, my curiosity kicks in. I want to know what they say about me. Even though listening hurts, I want to know what is it that they don't like.

Due to this distraction in my life, I get depressed from time to time whenever I see them. I can't concentrate on my studies since my thoughts would just keep circling this, trying to come up with a reasonable answer. Of course, my grades are not doing so great. - -''

Raggedy Man, Goodnight! April 17th 2011 04:55 PM

Bullying defenitly affected the way I worked and concentrated at school.
I was constantly bullied from the first day I ever started school till the last day when I had taken my exams.
I got bullied for being different, listening to heavy metal and rock music. Writing poems and stories, drawing and writing.
I got bullied because none of the other kids used to do this at all. I filed my exams thanks to the constant worrying of getting hurt at school and things didn't improve when I got into college either, there was always somebody who tried to drag me down and hurt my feelings. People called me and ugly and there was nothing I could do about because nobody there cared about what was going on they all thought I was a freak but I managed to pass my three years at college which I am really proud of =). But it seems everywhere I go somebody bullies me, even people who live in my street do.

AboutAGirl April 22nd 2011 01:53 PM

I believe that my being bullied greatly affected my work. It made me feel like being the nerd was the only thing I could ever be, and there-for made me strive to not fail at the only thing that I had potential to be good at. To this day, I still feel like that. I feel like I'll never mean anything to my friends or my family without a good GPA, a lot of general knowledge, and colleges wanting to have me in their student body.

EndureEmo April 22nd 2011 03:02 PM

i feel i did better when i was getting bullied, because i felt i had something to prove.. but now im accepted in to more social groups around the school and talk to more people in my year i feel im to busy talking to listen in class, to busy making other people feel bad about them selfs the people who used to be my friends are now the "lozers" i bully.. but i still talk to them sometimes about random fast convos .. ;s

abreacti0n April 22nd 2011 04:26 PM

Yes it did ... I used to be an excellent student and then I started to forget stuff ...

Bullying is surely not a good thing !