TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t146966-anxiety/)

.Brittany. August 15th 2016 03:57 PM

Anxiety

My anxiety is getting worse as the days go by. I'm checking things multiple times to make sure they're locked, when I hear a sound in the house I think someones in the house, I'm always scared that someones breaking into the house. Also, I'm always feeling like I'm doing something wrong at work, or that I have forgotten to do something. I get nervous walking around the block by myself (even with my dog). Pretty much anything that can make someone anxious makes me extremely anxious. Does anyone have any solutions or things I could try? I'll be put on medication this week I hope. I think I'm driving my parents and friends crazy with how bad the anxiety is getting.

SirJordan August 15th 2016 04:37 PM

Re: Anxiety

I would suggest speaking with your doctor but it seems you have already done that. Hopefully once the medication kicks in, things will get better for you.

Celyn August 17th 2016 08:53 PM

I've gone through similar experiences, such as checking things were switched off. It started off just checking once or twice and then I was checking things at least five times. What helped me was to set a limit and constantly tell myself that I've already checked x amount of times and I don't need to check again. I think it's like a cycle where no amount of checking behaviour satisfies your mind so you keep on feeling the need to check more and more.

Like you, I hate being left in the house on my own because I get scared of the noises and don't feel safe. I think it can help to create a 'safety plan' such as knowing where everyone is and who you can phone if you have to. Try to walk around the house, rather than 'trapping' yourself in one room just to reassure yourself that no-one else is in the house and you are safe. My therapist also recommended getting some cheap CCTV cameras, to use to reassure you, but make sure that you aren't using them to keep yourself in the house.

As for work and such, you need to trust in yourself that you are doing things correctly, and if you are unsure, to ask, so that you aren't worrying over it. You need to trust that whatever life throws at you, you will be able to handle it (I know that's a difficult one to accept, I'll admit).

It's great that you will be on medication this week. It's also good that friends and family are aware of what you are going through...perhaps they can reassure you at times? It might also help if you can get some CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) with a counsellor or therapist, who will be able to help you find ways of managing your thoughts and behaviours.

Hope this helps :)

.Brittany. August 18th 2016 05:56 PM

Hey Holly, thanks for replying.

You actually gave some very good tips and I appreciate it. I was put on a new anti anxiety yesterday. I'm hoping it helps. I like your tip about reminding myself that I have checked it x many times. Most of the time when I'm home alone I tend to walk through the house a few times to make sure I am in fact home alone.

I figure for work if they haven't talked to me yet, I must be doing my job right *knocks on wood*

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it.