TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety ? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t136066-anxiety/)

Gbabi February 1st 2015 05:12 PM

Anxiety ?

So let me give a small flashback on my mental health I used to be a selfharmer , I self-harmed for about 2 years and now have been clean for about 4 months I was severely depressed for those 2 years and it got bad in december of '12 and I tried to take my life , but I used to , and recently they started showing up again have these , idk episodes ? Where I start shaking and crying and my body tenses up and sometimes my heart rate speeds up to about 110 beats per minute at resting position and I can't stop them but I didn't know if this was anxiety because I don't feel like I'm going to die , I know I'm not but I more or just want the crying and shaking and rocking back and forth to just stop and when it does I feel more empty than anything . When I used to selfharm I would sometimes do it to stop the shaking and crying and stuff and it would 98% of the time but is this a panic attack ?

Calaer February 1st 2015 06:08 PM

Re: Anxiety ?

In a general sense it does sound like a panic attack, but everyone experiences them differently depending on their level of anxiety and how they learn to handle it when it does happen, ect. I personally can't breathe, and it feels as though I'm having a heart attack, but I'm getting better at coping, so it's less physically painful. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. :hug: I hope you get well soon.

Philomath February 4th 2015 10:20 AM

Hi,

First, I am very sorry for the late response and welcome to TeenHelp!! :)
I am not exactly sure because symptoms of anxiety can be associated with panic attacks. A lot of it has to do with length of time, patterns of thinking and frequency.
It would be best for you to talk to a therapist about this to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for your depression and whichever this: panic attacks or anxiety.
Congrats on being four months SH free by the way! :) That is a true accomplishment and use that success as encouragement.
Take care and PM me if you ever would like someone to talk to.

Karol February 14th 2015 09:12 PM

What you're describing sounds very similar to a panic attack. I have those symptoms a lot. I've found that some natural ways to calm me down is drinking hot herbal tea with lots of honey, wrapping myself up in a fuzzy blanket, and using essential oils such as lavender, peace and calm, and joy. Listening to classical music is a good way to calm down as well. :)
That's absolutely amazing that you've made it four months SH free!! Congratulations!! :)