TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   How will i Manage this Job interview with extreme anxiety? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t143744-how-will-i-manage-job-interview-extreme-anxiety/)

idonthaveaclue February 18th 2016 03:50 PM

How will i Manage this Job interview with extreme anxiety?

Basically I have a job interview in about 2 weeks time...however I have severe anxiety, it is making me feel sick already....Has anyone got any advice or if they are currently working how do you manage?

Thank you:)

Celyn February 19th 2016 01:05 PM

Re: How will i Manage this Job interview with extreme anxiety?

Congratulations on the job interview!

I know what it's like to feel anxious leading up to things though. It's not a nice feeling. What helps me leading up to interviews, is to prepare beforehand. It gives me a sense of comfort, so that I don't feel too anxious. Try finding out more about the company/employer, and think about potential questions you may be asked as well as your answers. They'll usually end by asking you if you have any questions, so if you can, try to think of something to ask. It's normal to feel anxious about the unknown, so preparing can take the edge off.

In terms of the actual anxiety side of things, it can be helpful to try to distract yourself. You've got two weeks to get through, so perhaps finding a game, tv series etc., will help to distract you. At the same time, it can be helpful to talk to someone about how anxious you are feeling. If you find yourself getting very anxious closer to the interview, or on the day itself, try doing some breathing exercises. Theres plenty online, but an example would be taking a deep breath in for 3 seconds (from your abdomen, not your chest) and breath out for 3 seconds. Do this until you feel calmer. Breathing exercises help to regulate your breathing so you don't hyperventilate and have a panic attack. They also help to relax your muscles so you don't feel tense and sick either.

I hope this helped a bit. Best of luck for the interview! :)

Palmolive February 20th 2016 08:41 PM

Hey there.

Congratulations on the interview! You should be really proud of yourself.:)

Definately prepare yourself for it. Could you get someone to help you? Pretend you're in an interview with them asking you questions and you acting as though you're in the interview and replying the best you can and then they can give you feedback on how you did, where you went right and wrong afterwards. Looking into the company is a good idea as well as looking in to your job role. Also think about how you're going to deal with the anxiety on the day.mdo you have any medication you can take to help with the anxiety if it comes to it? Try do things like play mindfulness games in your head and do some deep breathing.

I agree with Holly though. Two weeks can be a long time when you're anxious and I get that feeling so maybe try and find things to do in the next two weeks like going out with friends, coming in here and answering threads, taking time out so having baths and trying to relax etc, watching a good film, being around others, playing games and so on. Keep that mind busy so you're not over thinking too much.

If you need anything feel free to message me and I hope the interview goes well!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

bringmethehorizon♥ February 24th 2016 08:43 PM

Hey there I'm sorry to hear about this but firstly congratulations on getting the interview.

Have you tried find some coping methods for yourself when your in this interview? One which helps me is slowly breathing while in the interview but I try to do it so it's unnoticeable so the interviewer doesn't see me as nervous or unconfident. You want to avoid playing with your hands and avoiding eye contact as the interviewer will not like you doing those from my experience. Breathing techniques really help as can relax all the muscles in your body. Have you spoken to anyone about this? Maybe a trusted friend/ parent/ counsellor? I feel this would help you because you would have someone to vent your frustration and help you find a good coping method which works best for you.

I wish you all the best in this interview.