TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Adding people from work on facebook (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t105393-adding-people-work-facebook/)

Always * July 1st 2012 06:06 PM

Adding people from work on facebook

hi, I volunteer at this one place, and the volunteering co-ordinator is a super outgoing friendly person and I noticed she has Facebook. Would it be weird to add her?

anonymouswhale July 1st 2012 06:41 PM

Re: Adding people from work on facebook

Nah, I don't think it would be weird. If she's higher up than you though, it might be a good idea to limit what she sees, especially pictures and such.

Jack Lowden July 1st 2012 09:26 PM

I think that's up to you whether you add her or not. If she seems friendly & out-going & you think she'll have no problem with you adding her, go for it. If you're unsure, maybe mention it to her that you found her facebook & was wondering you could add her. Personally, I have coworkers added on my facebook, but never any bosses.

Ambedo. July 1st 2012 10:36 PM

I don't see an issue with it, especially if it's a volunteer organization. Personally, I have a lot of people from the places I volunteer on my Facebook. As someone else said, just think about limiting what she sees. If there's something that you think might change the way she looks at you, hide it.

PSY July 2nd 2012 01:43 AM

I have one co-worker on Facebook, but if it was someone in a higher position than myself, I would definitely want to limit some of the things they could see (they don't need to see my occasional rants or otherwise "unprofessional" posts).

Spicy_ July 2nd 2012 04:02 PM

Yeah, like what Robin has said; I would definitely add fellow co-workers (I've done so frequently in the past) but would be pretty cautious about management because my page does contain some things that would be inappropriate and would just be awkward if they saw it, like having your mom or dad view your page..

Evanesco July 5th 2012 07:44 AM

I agree with the others pretty much. Adding coworkers is fine if you're friendly with them, you have to make your friends some place. :hehe: Obviously, be careful with your privacy settings so that she doesn't see anything which might compromise your job or your professional relationship. But, because it's a volunteering situation, I'd say it doesn't have to be as professional as a paid job, and so it shouldn't be that off to add her.

Skeleton July 5th 2012 08:59 AM

I've got co-workers on my facebook so I don't see the problem with adding them but as said, if you're adding someone higher than you, I'd consider limiting what they saw. I haven't done that with my co-workers but a few status I've made have come up at work and I've gotten in trouble for saying something or doing something that they assumed was work related when it wasn't so it's probably is a good idea to limit what they see to make sure you don't get in trouble for something that was a misunderstanding.

HisPrincess July 5th 2012 06:24 PM

I agree with the others here as well. I would think that adding co-workers on Facebook would be alright, especially if you are starting to become friends with some of the people you work with. But for me personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable adding someone who held a higher position than me on Facebook, not because I'm worried about what they would see, but simply because it could be seen as unprofessional. That is just something I really wouldn't want to get into. Like the others suggested though, if it is in volunteer position anyways, I don't see any problem with you adding her. You might want to ask her in person if she would be alright with it, but there is a good chance she would be fine. If she is a higher up than you and you do decide to add her, I would suggest hiding the things she could see so you don't come off too unprofessional, depending on if she was in management or not. Hope this helps!

~ Angelica

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! July 6th 2012 05:09 AM

Since she is in a higher position than you, it would be advisable to ask her in advance. If she approves, then go ahead and add her, however, there are 2 things you should keep in mind. First, since she's at a higher position, you would want to limit the content she can see. Keep it at a professional level. Second, depending on how the relationship develops, fellow volunteers may view it as though you're sucking up to her and that could alter any relationships you have with them. As long as you can manage those 2 issues, I see no problem.

Always * July 7th 2012 11:10 PM

Well, as for restricting the information she sees, I don't really put anything on Facebook that I wouldn't want anyone to know about any how, and that's not just like my friends, I have considered being a cop and stuff so I do keep it clean cause if my background is investigated I don't want anything that they could see as being not ok... But yeah.... I haven't added her yet, I'm still not 100% sure it's a good idea

HisPrincess July 8th 2012 04:20 AM

Alright well in that case, I think at this point it's up to you. If you decide you still want to do it, I'd ask her in advance. Being that it's a volunteer position though, I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. :) Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you ever need anything!

~ Angelica

WhisperingSilence July 8th 2012 02:16 PM

Where I work because its a pre-school we have a policy that says ' staff members must not add each to facebook, staff members must not also add parents, students or volunteers to facebook'

Even if we didn't have this policy at work I still don't think I would add them to facebook simply because of the fact that I would not want people I work with seeing pictures of me after drinking to much and people I work with then making opinions on me outside of work.

Guile July 8th 2012 10:22 PM

Or don't post photos or things to facebook that you wouldn't want your boss seeing, that's a good standard to use before you hit that "post" button for anything.

Coffee. July 9th 2012 08:53 AM

I think it's fine to add people from work if you're friendly with them! Because of my job being at a university, I've added all of my coworkers, even if I have barely met them. :nosweat: Part of our job description is being very helpful, friendly, and fun, so Facebook is almost seen as a good way to express that. But it depends on the job and the coworkers.

Maverick. July 10th 2012 06:58 AM

Depends on who the coworker is.

Always * July 12th 2012 12:37 PM

Guile- Like I already said, I don't put up anything that'll look bad in the event I do something like becoming a cop (they search backgrounds for jobs like that) so yeah its not WHAT'S on my Facebook that's the problem. It's just whether it's overall ok or not.....

And I think I have enough answers so if this could possibly be closed that would be great

PSY July 12th 2012 05:56 PM

I agree, these responses are becoming a bit repetitive, so I'm closing your thread. =)