TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   College (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t108187-college/)

1D4Life August 20th 2012 01:10 AM

College

My question is, if you had the chance, would you go to your dream college knowing you are going to be in debt your whole life? My dream college is the University of Kentucky. It's not as expensive as other universities, but it's pricey for me! I really want to go there. My cousin just started there yesterday, and she is going to be paying $300,000 for 4 years!

I also heard that you only have to pay on your student loans for 20 years, and then you will no longer have to pay on them due to a bill that Obama passed. Is this true?

anonymouswhale August 20th 2012 03:15 AM

Re: College

Honestly, I wouldn't put myself further in debt for the sake of going to my dream school, regardless of Obama's policies.

To me, I'd rather be unhappy right now, knowing that it'll pay off, then be happy now and regret it later. I personally can't stand my current University, but it's a highly ranked school and I'm 3/4 of the way there. Plus, I've already transferred schools so I think it'd look bad to transfer again. Hope my opinion was a bit insightful!

Kate* August 20th 2012 05:01 AM

I don't think I would, at least not all 4 years, I'd probably save as much money as I could, then go to community college and get the basics out of the way for 2 years and then transfer there if I still wanted to and could afford it.

Mitch August 20th 2012 06:32 AM

Really! 300k for a 4 year course? Wtf is she studying lol?

1D4Life August 20th 2012 02:24 PM

I was planning on going to a community college before I went to the university! My high school has a program where you can go to college your senior year if you have all of your crdits you need! So I'm going to do that next year!

And Mitch, She is studying languages! She wants to work for the government and be like a translator!

Raining Glitter August 20th 2012 03:04 PM

Before I found my small little school (which is perfect for me), MIZZOU was my dream school. I probably would have went there if I could have afford it. It's not always as easy being in debt. I couldn't get a private loan for basically $33,000 a year for tuition alone. It wouldn't have been possible. Sometimes it's less about being in debt and more about how you can get the money overall. I'm glad I'm not going there, though, because it would have been a waste. Although it's a good school, the small school I found has a lot more resources for the individual, which is something that can actually help you put a foot in the door when it comes to getting a job.

TheQuietGirl August 20th 2012 06:25 PM

My dream school is the University of Oxford, in England. So it's pretty expensive for an international student, but I'm definitely shooting for it. Their major is perfect for me (Physics and Philosophy) and I just really want to go to England. I'm hoping to move there :) Plus I'm pretty sure it would give me a greater opportunity for jobs in Theoretical Physics.

It's about $43,000 per year, including living costs and such. I personally will be going there if it's at all possible. If not I'll probably be staying in the states, but following my professional goal-keeper career and moving to England at a later date.

Apple Orchard Ghost August 20th 2012 06:56 PM

I'm going to my dream school. Tuition is 46,000 a year (which includes room and board and variouis fees), and I have around half of that in various scholarships and financial aid. I'm going to have a lot of debt when I graduate, but I honestly think it's worth it. My college is suited to me and I think I'm really going to thrive there. It really comes down to what you think you can handle, debt wise. But never give up, always ask about financial aid, because it's a wonderful thing.

1D4Life August 21st 2012 12:47 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm going there because it is an excellent school to go to if you want to be in the medical field! I think I am going to do it! Even if I only go for a year! I think if I don't do it, I will regret it for the rest of my life and that's not something I want! Like I said, I will be going to a community college for 2 years doing my pre-recs and stuff! And I have already made sure that the credits transfer to UK and most of them do! I will most likely be going in as a sophomore or junior! And also, one I stay on campus and find friends there, I will most likely move off campus with my friends after the first year! That will make it cheaper!! I am a junior in high school and I already can't wait to experience the college life!!

TheCrowing August 21st 2012 12:51 AM

I'm also going to my dream school. Tuition at the moment comes out to about $45000 with room and board, but it's going up because of a merger.. it has to match up with the school that is taking over. I only get about 1/3 of that in scholarship/grant money.. but I think it's worth it. Also.. Engineering major = I may be able to pay back my loans quicker than most people. Hopefully. Lol

I wouldn't go anywhere else. It's the best place for me and I love the people and environment here.