TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Agh I hate making mistakes at work!! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t109758-agh-i-hate-making-mistakes-work/)

bitesize September 15th 2012 12:41 PM

Agh I hate making mistakes at work!!

I just started a new job in a petrol station shop a couple of weeks ago and though I'm doing mostly ok I'm still learning, and I just hate making silly mistakes. I got told off this afternoon because we're supposed to keep the till below a thousand euro or so at a time, and because the till-clearing thing scares me I'd avoided doing it all day and there was 17 grand in it by the time I left...oops!! :( I feel kind of stupid now...please tell me I'm not the only person who does silly things!! :(

Skeleton September 15th 2012 12:46 PM

Re: Agh I hate making mistakes at work!!

You aren't the only one. A year and half at my job and I still made the odd, silly mistake here and there that I get told off for. You're still learning and if you're too scared to do some things still then could you not tell/ask someone to do it for you? I'm sure, with you being new at the job, they'd be understanding and would rather help than have you say nothing and make a mistake.

Music September 15th 2012 06:55 PM

The day you stop making mistakes is the day you stop being human :bleh:
As long as you stay in good spirits and learn from your mistakes then you're doing perfectly fine.

HisPrincess September 16th 2012 04:57 AM

Don't beat yourself up for making mistakes on the job. I've had my new job for around a month and I'm still making mistakes. Sometimes the mistakes are bigger than others, but everyone makes them, you aren't the only one. I know sometimes it can sure feel like it though! :) But keep your head up. It will get better in time. But as said above, the day you stop making mistakes is the day you stop being human. You will always make some small mistakes here and there. But the more comfortable you get in your job, the less they will happen.

I have a task at work that I just hate doing as well, and it can be scary at times too. I've asked for someone else to do it before but my management doesn't take too kindly to the idea. You can always ask though but if you are forced to do it, ask to have someone step through it with you once or so. You can get more of an idea of how to do it so it's not as scary next time. But sometimes those things just take practice over and over again to get over. But you're not the only one. Message me if you ever need anything. Keep your head up! :)

~Angelica

Ennui. September 17th 2012 10:47 AM

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, don't worry! The main thing is learning from these mistakes, which I'm sure you'll do. You're still learning the ins and outs of the job and I bet as you get more experience working there and used to the surroundings you'll become more confident. If you're unsure of how to do something or are scared to do something you can always ask someone to help you out with it and the two of you can do it together, and see how everything is done. Once you do it and maybe observe some people doing it, a task may not seem as bad.

Stay in good spirits, I'm sure it'll be all right!