TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   What do you wish you'd been taught in school? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t126825-what-do-you-wish-youd-been-taught-school/)

Storyteller. December 17th 2013 11:33 PM

What do you wish you'd been taught in school?

Whether it be subjects, skills, or information, I'm sure we all have some things we wish we'd been taught in school. So, what are some of yours?

PSY December 18th 2013 12:06 AM

Re: What do you wish you'd been taught in school?

I wish I had learned more about taxes and investments. I took an economics class during my senior year of high school, but it only covered the "basics." Sure, it's nice to know about "supply and demand," but that doesn't tell me how to determine which tax form I need, or whether it's better for my fiancé to pay off his student loans as quickly as possible or make the minimum payments and invest his money elsewhere (and where/how to invest that money).

Gingerbread Latte December 18th 2013 12:28 AM

-How to budget and handle money
-Information about buying/renting properties. (Pesky letting agencies love screwing students over since they're fresh out of home and don't have a clue what their rights are)
-We did a bit on interview skills and applying for jobs but I felt like it wasn't enough

There's probably more that I'm forgetting but I can't remember anymore right now.

Ambedo. December 18th 2013 01:01 AM

Budgeting is a big one for me. My online shopping issues currently trump any budgeting skills that I have, so I always end up sad and poor in between paychecks.

DeletedAccount19 December 18th 2013 02:15 AM

Budgeting/handling money, definitely!

Lelola December 19th 2013 01:55 AM

Budgeting is good.

Another is some sort of practical job skills.

Ennui. December 19th 2013 02:24 AM

Chemistry.

Things about money/checkbooks/finances/banking/etc.

Coffee. December 21st 2013 08:26 AM

I must agree with others, money is definitely something that they did not focus on enough.
Also, knowing what skillsets are actually important for the "real world" rather than GPA being praised as the predictor of all success. Without the ability to be social, GPA won't get you far. :nosweat:

Rain~ December 21st 2013 01:11 PM

I agree with the others, and it would have been nice to be taught basic politics and world issues.

Pirouette December 21st 2013 04:57 PM

I definitely agree, we should learn some budgeting and more about finance stuff since economics classes at school don't really go into that much. O also want to learn some computer programming too and my school doesn't really offer any classes on that.

Doodle. December 21st 2013 05:05 PM

I agree with budgeting. They should have also taught us that being gay/bisexual is completely normal in sex education too.

Kate* December 21st 2013 05:39 PM

Taxes, or at least what information goes where on which form(s)
The basics of insurance and how to buy it (what the terms mean and what's considered a good deal). I'm aging off my dad's coverage in May and I'm completely clueless about having to get my own.

Melody Pond December 21st 2013 07:49 PM

I agree with everyone else really with more practical life lessons like....
  • Housing - Tenancy agreements, mortgages, lease holders, what to look out for in houses (dodgy landloards, contracts, being ripped off, damp, structural damage)
  • Jobs - Pensions, contracts, interviews and applications, different options other than university (apprenticeships etc)
  • Money - Budgeting, taxes, bank accounts, savings accounts, loans (APR etc), credit cards, insurance (life, contents, house etc)
  • Practical skills - DIY (how to change a plug, change a fuse etc), basic first aid, basic sewing skills and clothing repair skills, better sex education with more about relationships.
  • Academic skills - referencing: In high school essays didn't have a reference list or in text references so in Uni it took a while just to get the hang of Harvard referencing, finding reliable sources and peer reviewed journals. I lost marks on essays in first year due to referencing and I feel it should be introduced earlier.

We kind of touched on bits of this in school but I don't feel enough was done, for example I did first aid in Health and Social care but you only learnt it if you did that lesson and in textiles we learnt how to use a sewing machine and how to hand sew but it was more about making big fancy dresses when it would have been more useful to learn how to alter the hem on trousers etc.

I also wish we had a wider choice of languages, the only option was French in my school and I wish I could have learnt BSL. I did BSL 101 in college as an enrichment programme but I wish I could have completed the Level One qualification as it is really expensive to do.