TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   College :( (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t136968-college/)

maisiff March 16th 2015 07:53 PM

College :(

Hi, I'm basically in my first year of college - which is a place ive always aspired to get to and hope to come out with good grades to go on to university... the usual. However, as i'm coming to pretty much the end of my AS year, i'm actually starting to loose all motivation and actually stop caring about college. Like, i've tried explaining to some friends hoping they'd maybe understand but i just get told the same think 'oh youre overreacting, oh its only two years' etc etc etc. But i just want people to understand i've had enough of it all, i can't cope with it. I don't know what I'm expecting i just need to get it all out, I honestly just don't care at all anymore, like i don't see the point of getting out of bed because it just seems like i waste of my time. Like its just shit. Idk someone help.

Hiraeth March 18th 2015 05:54 AM

Re: College :(

I understand. I've been there many, many times, and now I'm feeling the same kind of demotivation in the workplace. It sucks. But the question is - why? How did you become so demotivated? Why did it happen now, as opposed to any other time?

leavemealone March 18th 2015 07:23 PM

Hey <3
I'm sorry you've been feeling in the dumps lately. I just started my first year of college, and the first semester was HELL. I felt the same way about not caring anymore and just wanting to lay in bed, and it reflected on my grades which only made me feel worse because I still wanted to do well. It was light I was having an inner fight with myself, and it was exhausting.
Losing interest on school is so normal though, and it really really sucks and I'm sorry you're going through this. The education system, at least where I live (U.S) forces us to take classes that show no interest to us and they still expect us to do well. In my head before I started college, I thought oh my god I'll be taking classes that I actually enjoy, and I'll be working towards my major and I can finally start my life. And then it was like giant wrecking ball smacked me right in the stomach, and I realized that even as "adults" we're still forced to endure classes we don't want to take. Maybe that's why you don't care about it anymore?
The best thing you can do, is get through these classes that you're in right now and do as best as you can. Just keep your head up, and then you have the whole summer to do whatever you want to do. And then during the fall, when you (maybe) start classes up again, choose at least ONE class that you thoroughly enjoy. It's so important to remember that you're there to learn and educate yourself about your future career and it's supposed to be FUN. It's hard to pretend to like something and succeed at a course that just doesn't interest you.
Just keep moving forward, and try to change your schedule and add something that you love, I promise things will get better. They always do :hug:
You can always message me if you want to talk more!

Julie Petersen March 31st 2015 07:51 AM

Hi, I'd recommend you to change your day schedule. It may sound strange, but believe me, that you will be surprised how simple thinks can change your mood and feelings. It is the simpliest way to change your situation. Sure, you can start looking for the reason why you are feeling this way, but you may end with soul-searching which can lead to even deeper depression.
Start doing things differently, not as you do them usually. Read different books, watch different movies, talk to defferent people, eat different food, get up at different time...
You will notice soon that eventully your body will start thinking and feeling differently.

BreathingIn March 31st 2015 10:22 PM

Hi there,
I understand, I've been there. College is such a brand new chapter in life and it's not easy to get used to and get through. Around the same time as you when I was in college, I got sick of it and lost all motivation. Simply, I just kept at it. I switched majors to what I originally wanted and it was the best decision of my life and I got excited to be in school again. Maybe think about why you're in school and what you want to do with it? But stick with it because I do believe in higher education for getting a good job that will last. It's awesome you're in school! Just stick with it, but always be looking for ways to do things a new way or get a new atmosphere (find a new study place, move into a new dorm, take another route to class) Any little thing might just spark your motivation :)

All the best!

Julie Petersen April 8th 2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreathingIn (Post 1177573)
Hi there,
I understand, I've been there. College is such a brand new chapter in life and it's not easy to get used to and get through. Around the same time as you when I was in college, I got sick of it and lost all motivation. Simply, I just kept at it. I switched majors to what I originally wanted and it was the best decision of my life and I got excited to be in school again. Maybe think about why you're in school and what you want to do with it? But stick with it because I do believe in higher education for getting a good job that will last. It's awesome you're in school! Just stick with it, but always be looking for ways to do things a new way or get a new atmosphere (find a new study place, move into a new dorm, take another route to class) Any little thing might just spark your motivation :)

All the best!

Great piece of advice, I think it may work!