TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   School Rules (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t138067-school-rules/)

Eesha123 May 4th 2015 12:21 PM

School Rules

Hey guys, I'm not sure what to do basically at high school we recently got a new head teacher and the rules have changed on uniform so now we cant wear tight trousers, nail polish, shorts skirts... and my form tutor has told me to stop wearing tight trousers but I feel like she's picking on just me, when there other girls in my class who are wearing the same I don't know what to do??

Kate* May 4th 2015 10:28 PM

Re: School Rules

Hello there, I never had to wear a school uniform or had a "strict" dress code, but I know people who did. Honestly, my advice is to just go along with it, even if you disagree. In most cases it's not worth the hassle or consequences for not following it. If you feel like you're being singled out, you can speak with the tutor privately, but usually, the argument that you aren't the only one supposedly breaking the rules won't work as a good defense. The best thing you can do is follow the dress code so the person will back off and don't worry about whether other people do the same or not.

Palmolive May 7th 2015 08:02 PM

Hi there.

I had the same rules when I was at school and honestly, I just got on with it apart from I did sometimes have my nails painted :bleh: but would have to remove it in class when asked. Looking back I would have just stuck to the rules now. It wasn't asking a lot and I think it was appropriate to ask what was being asked so my advice to you is to go along with the rules and not to get into trouble for breaking them. Like said, if you feel you're being picked out on, talk to somebody at school about it and express your thoughts and feelings about this.

Jessie.

MyVisionIsDying May 7th 2015 08:43 PM

I agree with the others, it is best to probably follow the rules regarding school uniform, although I'm probably not the best person to say that because I hardly brought my school blazer with me (only when I had to do my GCSE exams) and I wore trainers too.
You should have a talk with your tutor about what she did, calling you out when others were wearing pretty much the exact same thing, I've seen it when my best friend would be the only one who got called out for talking when most of the class was and when my tutor would call out most people for wearing trainers while I pretty much got away with it (it probably didn't help that I was a good student in school, oh and the fact that I have an ingrown toenail which is a problem for me and school shoes sooo... heh).
And your situation sounds awfully similar with what happened when I was in school, the name got changed (because it was turning into an Academy) and a new headteacher came in when I was starting Year 8 and they tightened up the rules so no trainers were not allowed- not even black trainers which the school were pretty laid back on eventually when I was in Year 7- oh and they pretty much stopped non school uniform days and such so yeah, I know the hardships of having a school with strict uniform rules.

BreathingIn May 8th 2015 02:36 AM

Hey there,

My advice is to follow the rules as best you can. Some people may get away with things, it happens. I had to wear uniforms in high school and they were super strict about having your shirt tucked in. Well, the same people always got told to tuck their shirt in, and I never did. I was a super quiet person so maybe that's why, but that's just how it is. I still followed the rest of the rules as much as possible. Also, don't worry too much about it because you won't be wearing a uniform forever :)

RadioSerenade May 8th 2015 02:51 AM

Unfortunately, whether or not other people get picked up on their uniform indiscretions is a different issue entirely to the rules being in place. It might just be inconsistent checks or whatever reason. I recommend you embrace the rules to be crucially honest. I have never had an exception to wearing proper uniform and I mean, if you look at the case of sport, people complain about having to wear uniform, and then go home and watch Rugby League, for example, where the uniform people wear sometimes dictates where they go in their career. Be proud to wear the uniform. I don't know about you but whenever I dress in uniform, I feel protected somehow. Obviously it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are positives in it :).

Always * May 9th 2015 05:28 PM

Can I just point out the extreme problem with this; it is SEXIST! There is no reason that girls cannot wear tight clothes and short skits because all it is teaching them is that they (the woman) are responsible for the boys inappropriate behaviour, as if a male cannot control himself. It's ridiculous. I'm not saying that all women should walk around with their boobs falling out of their tops buuuut it's also not a big deal to wear leggings, other tight pants, and short skirts - cleavage never hurt anyone either. Check out Laci Green's video (link attached here) because this is a serious problem.

You should be allowed to wear what ever makes you comfortable. Obviously dress codes matter - I would never show up to a professional situation or a wedding wearing jeans or sparkles - there is a time or place for everything, (eg. maybe you shouldn't wear a tiny, skin tight sequined party dress to school BUT leggings and a mini-skirt and other casual day wear shouldn't be off limits).

Any how, as much as this angers me, it might be best to at least "try" to conform as much as possible - however, I would suggest that it is totally ok to protest these rules.

Not_here May 9th 2015 05:41 PM

I agree with Always here. It is a silly rule and personally I had my fair share of obnoxious uniform rules that I can tell you if you're interested. But then again, if you don't want to get in trouble then following the rules is the answer. When you go into a school, you are signing an invisible contract to give up some of your liberties. If you want to challenge that, more power to you but I wouldn't be surprised if their reaction to your resistance is kicking you out, as sad as that is. Keep the consequences in mind and then you're free to do what you want.