TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Career Choice/High School Application Struggles (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t143404-career-choice-high-school-application-struggles/)

frnkiero January 28th 2016 11:50 PM

Career Choice/High School Application Struggles

So, this has been freaking me out.

I have to apply for my choice high school in less than a year. It sounds like I have a lot of time, but in reality, I don't at all. This school is a school for the arts. They are very tedious about who they accept.

My family, teachers, and basically everyone I know wants me to audition for creative writing. To audition for that, you need to submit at least 20 pages of your own writing. I have about one page done, and it takes me a long time to write. I am an excellent writer, and I have a few published poems. The thing is, I am not passionate about writing. I would hate to be a full time author. And with this school, a lot of their focus is making your major your full time career.

What I am passionate about is guitar, and music. I love playing guitar and writing songs, and I am in a band. (My parents don't know I'm in a band. I plan on telling them when I get a drummer, so we can actually start making music.) Obviously, I want to audition with guitar. I want to pursue guitar and music for the rest of my life. I would not mind having a creative writing elective, but it's definitely not for me career and major wise.

I fear telling my parents about my passion for music and auditioning for guitar, because quite frankly, if I did, I would disappoint my teachers, my parents, my grandparents, my friends, my friends' parents, pretty much everyone I've come into contact with. They all brag about how I am going to win so many awards and become a best-selling author soon, but it makes me feel so guilty. I would hate to let them down, but I would also hate to become an author.

This has been giving me an insane amount of stress, and I would love to know if any of you have any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

Kate* January 29th 2016 12:07 AM

Re: Career Choice/High School Application Struggles

Hello there and Welcome :)

You are planning for your life not anyone else's. Don't do something you don't want to do just because everyone else feels like you should. Regardless of what you want to go for, have a plan B. Especially if people will question your choice and be concerned about your future. Your parents also want you to be happy, they wouldn't want you to do something that you don't like.

Dawn. January 30th 2016 04:15 AM

Hi there and welcome to Teenhelp! :)

I agree with Kate in saying that you do whatever makes you happy. It's your life and your future. If music is what makes you happy, then that's what makes you happy.

Explain to your parents, friends, family, etc what exactly you want to do and they should understand your decision.

I hope I helped.

JohnOldman February 10th 2016 01:59 PM

As for me, I always wanted to be a freelance writer)
Just think
1. You work when you want.
2. You work wherever you want.
3. You are your own boss.
4. You have more income potential.
5. You can take advantage of more tax deductions.

I began to write many texts in order to develop my writing skills and read interesting articles on “how to improve the typing speed”, [Edited]