TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Residential placement at college (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t148994-residential-placement-college/)

Notsure December 15th 2016 05:37 PM

Residential placement at college

I'd really like to have residential placement at college. Due to Aspergers, i lack social and life skills. A residential placement would help with that, and help me improve my ability to be independent. I also hate it at home, i can't stand my family, and i'm rude to them the majority of the time because of that. I'd be much less stressed and a happier person if i had a residential placement at college. Unfortunately, it's "unlikely" that i'd get a residential placement. I'm not happy with this, and would like to increase my chances of getting a residential placement. There is a meeting regarding my education tonight; i do not attend these meetings, but i have written down the following on a piece of paper, that will be read at the meeting: "I would like to do A levels. I would also like a residential placement at the *removed*, which is a place i have looked at. A residential placement would help me, as it would improve my life skills and ability to be independent. Moreover, i would like to go to university." This might help, but they should know all that already. I shall not say that i hate it at home and dislike my family, that may make home life even more stressful. Besides, i've told my mum that numerous times, and she seems to forget about it a few hours later. Is there any way i can possibly increase my chances of getting a residential placement?

Celyn December 16th 2016 06:30 PM

Re: Residential placement at college

How did the meeting go?

Do you know if there are any reasons why it might be unlikely that you would get a residential placement at college? It might be worth finding out, to see if you meet the criteria for a residential placement. If there are criteria that you need to meet, it might be worthwhile talking with a professional who can help with that i.e. someone who can evaluate your Asperger's diagnosis.

I understand that living at home can be stressful for you, and that with Asperger's, you feel that you don't have much independence or social skills. However, if you don't get a residential placement, you can always aim to move out for university.

Notsure December 16th 2016 06:55 PM

Re: Residential placement at college

The meeting didn't change anything, unfortunately.

I'm not sure why it's unlikely. Possibly because i live quite close, but one of the staff at the college said that that doesn't matter, and that it's likely i'd be able to get a residential placement.