TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety in Fast Food (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t151701-anxiety-fast-food/)

15gwendolynn June 10th 2017 11:26 AM

Anxiety in Fast Food

Currently I just started working at a fast food restaurant (Wendy's) and my anxiety has been through the roof. I've been making sandwiches and you have to go really fast because they get super busy and I can't do it. I like to take my time and make sure I get everything right, but with fast food you really can't do that. I know that I've only been here a couple of days but frankly I've been have an emotional break down everytime I have to get up and go. I got a job cause I wanted money and frankly I don't know if I can do this. Everyone keeps telling me that it'll get better, but I have really really bad anxiety. Has anyone else had this problem?

Skyline June 10th 2017 12:10 PM

Re: Anxiety in Fast Food

Hi there :) I've never gotten a job like that which would induce anxiety, but I can completely imagine how stressful that must be as I have social anxiety. I would say give it another 3-7 days and if it hasn't gotten any easier, quit. It's not worth the money if it's causing you so much distress, and you should always put your mental health first. Maybe there're other jobs you could do which are less fast-paced and more enjoyable for you?

15gwendolynn June 10th 2017 12:54 PM

Thank you so much! I'm sure their are other jobs in my area that I could work at.

DeletedAccount69 June 11th 2017 12:41 AM

I struggle with anxiety and there are certain work environments/situations that would increase my anxiety. However, there have been times where I have volunteered somewhere and had some extreme anxiety but after waiting it out the anxiety did get better. I think you should consider giving it a month or so before making a decision about quitting. I mean, there are some things I can't do due to my anxiety and the way it impacts performance etc such as driving people around. But, things like talking on the phone have actually gotten easier with exposure.

If after a month (or the designated amount of time you set aside) you don't notice a decrease in anxiety then I don't think it would be an bad thing to quit.

Best of luck.

FallonRose June 12th 2017 01:05 AM

I completely understand what you mean. When I got my first job in fast food working at Sonic, I literally had a mental breakdown at work because I was still new taking orders and I felt like I had no other option but to ring in an order as fast as the customer was telling me and I wasn't aware of the layout of the POS so it would take me a moment to find the correct item. Though taking orders and making food is completely different, I still understand where you're coming from. Practice and time is what it's going to take for the anxiety to lessen (I'm not job number 4 now and I've been here for a year and a half and I can make food and take an order for the drive-thru at the same time because of the practice and the time I've spent. It all just depends on the person). I also know that multi-tasking and fact-paced movement is not for everyone so if you don't see yourself being this kind of person I suggest trying to find another job. Like Skye said, the money is not worth the stress.