TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   School. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t160416-school/)

Arabesque- golfing girl. September 13th 2020 07:18 PM

School.

This is my first year of college and I'm having a hard time. I'm not telling my parents or sisters, just keeping it to myself. I'm driving the 20 minutes to school, I don't know if I want to stay. They gave me a scholarship and I don't want to let anyone down.

Dawn. September 14th 2020 02:17 AM

Re: School.

Hello there Emma,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. Is there anything in particular that is bothering you the most about college? It is a big adjustment to go from school to college. If you need anything, please feel free to message me. :hug:

Panda Solo September 14th 2020 04:15 AM

Hello Emma,

I am sorry that you have been not feeling right about college. Do you like the college you are attending? Have you been learning things that you like while not exausting youself out? Like you said, it has only been your first couple months of your first year of college, and maybe you need some more time to adjust to the schdule and study/work flow. I highly suggest you to take some time to relax yourself and really think about the whole situation and make decisions that benefit you the most.
I always trust in you, and hope everything will go smoothly for you.

Rivière September 16th 2020 09:49 AM

What is it about the college, or the course(s) you're on that you're having issues with? Is it the driving to and from school? Or is it something else?

Arabesque- golfing girl. September 16th 2020 03:48 PM

Thank you so much. This school should be fun, I'm dancing everyday at it and I'm not happy. I have wanted this for a while and I don't know what's wrong with me.

DeletedAccount59 September 21st 2020 04:29 PM

Hi Emma, I'm sorry you are struggling with university right now. I understand the feeling of not wanting to let your parents stay and to fufill your obligation at this particular place since you have a scholarship. However, I think it is important that you speak to your parents about this and let them know how you're feeling. It's better to make the correct choices now in regards to your post secondary edcation.

You said your school is specific to dance; is it possible that this may not be your passion or as big of one as you thought it was? I don't know how long you've been dancing for, but sometimes we fall out of love with the interests we had as a child and young adolescent.

If it's not that, then I suggest looking and examining why you don't feel happy. Is there anything you could do to change this? If your school has guidance counselors, I would suggest speaking to them as well.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do. :hug:

Feel free to reach out again. Take care.

Dawn. September 22nd 2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfing girl (Post 1356101)
Thank you so much. This school should be fun, I'm dancing everyday at it and I'm not happy. I have wanted this for a while and I don't know what's wrong with me.

Is there anything in particular that is making you unhappy?

Mallika September 26th 2020 12:46 PM

Hi Emma,

Thank you for reaching out about this.

I understand how daunting college can be. Exactly what aspect about college do you not like?

If it's the course/major/stream itself, is there a way you might be able to transfer to another course you prefer that is offered by the same college (i.e. so that you don't have to go to another college)? I know several people at my university who switched their major because something else tickled their fancy. Like Melancholia correctly pointed out, if you're not enjoying a particular stream, it's better to make a switch right at this point when you've just started out. You wouldn't want to be stuck for years with something you don't enjoy. The things we study at school/college should be something that motivates us, so if it is having the opposite effect, there is every reason to consider switching to another major. I have heard of people who switch to another college after their first year or so simply for this reason; it's never too late to pick up a thread you are keen on. Also, is dance your major or are you doing it as part of a student club/society?

Like the others here said, sometimes we need to get accustomed to the flow of things before we begin relishing it. College is one of those things - everything is different from what we were used to in school. From getting personalised attention from teachers at school, we're all of a sudden in big lecture theatres where no one knows another person. All of a sudden, you see your peers who were studious little kids back in school, now go clubbing. This is all very overwhelming, but in life we're often faced with changes. It will take some time to get used to, so don't worry too much. Give it some more time and see if you feel the same way. If you do, try to figure out exactly which aspect of college is making you feel this way and if there's any way you can fix it.

I had to move to a new country for college, learn to live in a dormitory with housemates, manage all my chores on my own while trying to get good grades. So I completely understand how different college life can be from what you were previously used to. But let me assure you that college will make you a resilient person and shape you immensely. You will get through these hard days :hug:

Take care and PM me if there's anything at all you'd like to chat about!

Arabesque- golfing girl. September 26th 2020 07:24 PM

Thank you so much. I love dancing and I don't want that taken away from me. A few of the teachers are mean, I don't know if it's because they like to push us out of our comfort zone or just like to yell at us when we mess up. I try not to get upset when they are yelling, it's just hard.

Dawn. September 28th 2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfing girl (Post 1356305)
Thank you so much. I love dancing and I don't want that taken away from me. A few of the teachers are mean, I don't know if it's because they like to push us out of our comfort zone or just like to yell at us when we mess up. I try not to get upset when they are yelling, it's just hard.

Have you spoken to your teachers supervisors about how they are making you feel and what they have been doing? Your teachers are there to support you, not to make you feel like you don't want to do what you are passionate about.

Arabesque- golfing girl. September 30th 2020 09:08 AM

My friend and I went to the student center for help and they helped us and the class. They are not going to yell at us anymore. Thank you so much.

Dawn. October 1st 2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfing girl (Post 1356381)
My friend and I went to the student center for help and they helped us and the class. They are not going to yell at us anymore. Thank you so much.

That's great to hear! :D

How do you find college now?

DeletedAccount59 October 1st 2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfing girl (Post 1356381)

I'm glad you and your friend went to the student center and got help! Hopefully things improve from now on. :)

I am going to go ahead and close this thread now. If you want it re-opened, let me know or feel free to create a new thread. :)

Best of luck. :hug: