TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   No solution (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t161138-no-solution/)

Silvan January 13th 2021 11:10 AM

No solution

Hi all,
I've been struggling with choosing any ideas for my future for a long time now, and it's starting to be unbearable. I passed high school carefreely because I was sure something would come to my mind in the end. Well, it didn't - I had to choose some studies, because I had no idea what to do with myself otherwise. I chose Iberian studies to at least improve my Spanish, but Spanish classes here turned out to be a total failure, I gradually grew to hate this faculty and at this point I stopped attending any classes and I'm sure to fail all of them in a month. I'm also very stressed because the university might or might not sign me out immediately - if they don't I get to keep my student status for the next term and I will be able to continue working. If they do sign me out, I won't be able to work where I do now.

I've thought about starting History studies next September, because history is something I'm really interested in. However, I think pure academic studies are not for me. It's just... I hate how this system works, it's just the same as at school. One gets marks for pissing into the wind.
I believe Graphic studies would be better for me (or any kind of artistic studies). Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get into the Academy of Fine Arts, which leaves me with private unis only. I don't think I could handle that financially, plus private unis in my country are usually of very poor quality.

I have no idea what to do. Completing studies seems stupid to me, but I don't know what I could do in the future if I don't finish any faculty at all. The future seems so grim and uncertain. I can't imagine that my life could ever become stable.
Thanks for reading my long post.
Sue

DeletedAccount53 January 13th 2021 12:49 PM

Re: No solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matter (Post 1361166)
Hi all,
I've been struggling with choosing any ideas for my future for a long time now, and it's starting to be unbearable. I passed high school carefreely because I was sure something would come to my mind in the end. Well, it didn't - I had to choose some studies, because I had no idea what to do with myself otherwise. I chose Iberian studies to at least improve my Spanish, but Spanish classes here turned out to be a total failure, I gradually grew to hate this faculty and at this point I stopped attending any classes and I'm sure to fail all of them in a month. I'm also very stressed because the university might or might not sign me out immediately - if they don't I get to keep my student status for the next term and I will be able to continue working. If they do sign me out, I won't be able to work where I do now.

I've thought about starting History studies next September, because history is something I'm really interested in. However, I think pure academic studies are not for me. It's just... I hate how this system works, it's just the same as at school. One gets marks for pissing into the wind.
I believe Graphic studies would be better for me (or any kind of artistic studies). Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get into the Academy of Fine Arts, which leaves me with private unis only. I don't think I could handle that financially, plus private unis in my country are usually of very poor quality.

I have no idea what to do. Completing studies seems stupid to me, but I don't know what I could do in the future if I don't finish any faculty at all. The future seems so grim and uncertain. I can't imagine that my life could ever become stable.
Thanks for reading my long post.
Sue

Hello Sue. I empathized with your message, but you can write as much as you like. No problem to me! And I've no doubt to my friends here. :)

Though pardon my being so forward, but you have come so close into starting so exciting that completely missed your heart's desire. Quoting a line from your post:

"I've thought about starting History studies next September, because history is something I'm really interested in."

I've recently finished my finals in Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons)) in British and French Ancient History and Modern History, including including Byzantine Studies and Modern Greek and Latin. (Latin was a bugger to learn, but twin Julie helped me through it!)...

....And my 2nd BA (Hons) In French and English Literature. We now have to wait four weeks, but likely a lot more because of covid bringing restrictions before receiving the results. But we did this because History is grounding for us because it's beaten the hell out of our clinical depression.

Like my beloved, there's this burning passion for study irrespective of our personal lives and past hurts, because the fire that burnt within got us to where we wanted, through odds and negative people who told us "You'll never do it!". Annoyed we told them where to go and went for it. Doing it we ignored other people's reaction and opinions and shut them out. With friends like them, who needs friends? We worked very hard, Sis and I. She even helped my my dyslexia. Our professors knew and were good to me, and they were good to Julie as well as the other students under their academic wings.

You can this, if your heart is really burning also.

In a few week's time job as Librarians, Archivists awaits Julie and I, and we've been given opportunity, fully paid by our State to study for a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree.

Whatever you do, Sue, ordinary or extraordinary, significant or insignificant, it should always be done with passion and perfectionism: Quoting you again: "' because history is something I'm really interested in'". It's an expression of who you really are. Live with passion and you deserve every breath of life you get; live without it and you may as well go straight to your grave if you resign yourself into giving up and not fight depression or whatever is holding you back - am I right? Because if you really want to illuminate this world, you've got to burn!"

You just have to believe to completely focus on what you want to do, and what you want to be. Seize upon any shred of courage and magnify it. Whip yourself up into a passionate courage and just go for it. History is glorious! :dem:

Why talk yourself into a corner and settle for less? Your heart is already there, beating for History like ours were. Just think about my plain speaking, but take your time and come back when you're ready. I wish you all the very best! :)

Silvan January 13th 2021 02:25 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid, however, that History is not something I would like to study. I am interested in it, but the whole system (how the university works, classes, exams etc. - in the academic manner) is something that really puts me off.

DeletedAccount53 January 13th 2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matter (Post 1361176)
Thank you for your reply. I am afraid, however, that History is not something I would like to study. I am interested in it, but the whole system (how the university works, classes, exams etc. - in the academic manner) is something that really puts me off.

Julie and I were taken out of our state school in Monaco and given private education with an online university course. It was paid for, but I'm not allowed to say who by. Anyway, because of the importance of this open university whose subjects we were doing were for three years, because I had a physical condition, the online course took four years.

Would it be possible to flaunt the dislikable education institution you are chained to, and instead consider advanced learning though an online open university? Have you understanding parents?

Celyn January 13th 2021 06:12 PM

Hey Sue,

I'm wondering if there is anyone, such as a careers advisor at university, that you could talk to? I understand just getting through school and not really knowing what you want to do and hoping something comes to you later on. It can help to think of what you are interested in, but also what skills you have or what you find difficult. It can also help to look at different careers and jobs and see if anything grabs your attention. Doing these things and seeking advice from an advisor or friends and family, may help you to figure things out a bit more.

I also understand that sometimes universities focus a lot on the academic side whereas some people might prefer other ways of learning. I'm not sure where you are but it might be worth seeing if there are any apprenticeships in your area or anything that allows you to learn on the job. This type of learning may suit you better. Then again, if you are interested in a subject, but find certain aspects of university difficult, for example, reading and writing essays in a timely manner, you might want to get in touch with student support for advice.

If you think that graphic design or any artistic studies may be better for you, is it possible to research finance options to help pay the fees? Or what about studying in a different country if the universities are better?

I would only advise studying for studies sake if you are genuinely interested in the subject area but understand that you may not get related work. Otherwise, I do understand the dilemma that you are facing in that studying anything just for the sake of it may not be the best idea. But then again, it does seem like your work is tied to your student status at university. Would you be willing to be unemployed or get any job, if you were no longer a student? Or would you be more willing to continue studying just for your current work? If the latter, have you thought about options once you graduate (would you still be able to keep your job or not)?

While your future may seem uncertain at the moment, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will never have a stable future either. It can take some time to find what you want to do :)

DeletedAccount53 January 14th 2021 10:51 AM

Matter, I don't know if your school has Peer Support, but it can be very good when older students help younger ones through classroom and subject difficulties. Maybe you can get advice from an older student?

Mallika January 16th 2021 02:04 PM

Hi Sue,

Thank you for reaching out. I think you have a very genuine doubt so I'm happy that you've expressed your feelings about it so clearly.

Firstly, the traditional academic path - high school to university to workplace - is not for everyone. The reality is that not everyone can do prestigious degrees from prestigious universities, and that no everyone is fit for a 9-to-5 job. While many people believe that a degree is correlated with a better standard of life, I personally feel that there is no point in spending valuable years on academic study if you do not enjoy it. One should dovetail their time into things they enjoy doing, ideally. And people have managed to build successful careers without a degree, but instead with a reliable and good skillset in their chosen area.

You mentioned that you are into graphic design and artistic things. Perhaps you might be able to find a certificate course or a short course (not lengthy like a degree) where you live, or even an online one, that will equip you with the skills you need to get a job in this field? These days, online courses are running lots of discounts and are all the rage due to the lockdown and whatnot. Udemy or Coursera might have some good courses, which are self-paced so you don't have to worry about adhering to strict deadlines. Many courses offered are free, though you'd have to pay for the certificate. The Open University offers distance-learning degrees which might be an attractive option too. Once you get the certificate, you improve your employability, so that even if you lose your student status, you might still be able to find a job with your certificate. I've linked some reputed sites which offer online courses below:
https://www.udemy.com
https://www.coursera.org
https://www.edx.org
https://www.mooc.org
http://www.open.ac.uk

Another option you might want to consider is an apprenticeship or an internship at a graphic design firm like Holly mentioned. Typically these hire people who are already trained in graphic design, but you can try your shot by contacting multiple of these and see if any are willing to create a form of apprenticeship for you whereby you can learn on the spot. I know it seems a little audacious asking people for opportunities they don't openly advertise for them, but that's what I did in the past and landed an amazing internship.

Another thing you could do is contact the people at your high school. If there is an art teacher or design instructor, you can ask them if you can work with them and pick up a skill or two. Usually schools are happy to have some of their alumni back, and there's also a sense of familiarity with them that you are able to tap on to create some mutually beneficial scenarios for both yourself and the school.

Also, don't forget the power of connections. Is there anyone in your family or social circle who's working in a job you might be interested in? You could try asking them for some information on their companies and express your interest in looking for a work experience/internship. I'm not sure if graphic designers and artists are on LinkedIn whom you can connect with, but you can use the power of the Internet to connect with some local designers virtually as see if they might be interested in having you work with them as an intern or apprentice. The position of an intern might seem paltry initially, but trust me, you learn just so much, which will greatly help you as you start your career.

My sister is doing a diploma course in communication design and she doesn't intend to do a full-fledged degree either, because she has the skills she needs to find work as a designer now. And her future workplace is potentially our high school, because she reached out to them and worked as an intern for them last year, and soon they might hire her.

You've named this post "No solution", but I beg to differ - don't give up! There is no one way to land a successful career. Opportunities and careers really boil down to what we make of them (of course, luck is also a factor, but, again don't give up). There are many paths to success, and there's nothing wrong in stepping away from the traditional, tried-and-tested path and explore what works best for you. You do you, and make sure that your career pursuit is of something you enjoy :D

I'm ending off with a quote from a song by a boy band I used to follow: "Do what you like, like what you do."

Silvan January 18th 2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pork Chops (Post 1361178)
Would it be possible to flaunt the dislikable education institution you are chained to, and instead consider advanced learning though an online open university? Have you understanding parents?

Online university is an option, but I wouldn't like to spend the next few years learning online. The pandemic has been enough lol.

My mum is understanding and she would like me to do whatever I like, but she also strongly encourages me to get a uni degree. She claims it's always better to have a degree, even if one's running their own business, and I guess she's right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1361185)

I'm wondering if there is anyone, such as a careers advisor at university, that you could talk to?
it might be worth seeing if there are any apprenticeships in your area or anything that allows you to learn on the job.
is it possible to research finance options to help pay the fees?

what about studying in a different country if the universities are better?
would you be willing to be unemployed or get any job, if you were no longer a student? Or would you be more willing to continue studying just for your current work? If the latter, have you thought about options once you graduate (would you still be able to keep your job or not)?

There's no such person at uni. I've tried contacting some charities that offer career advising, but none replied. Maybe it's worth paying for a private advisor.
I don't want to sound pessimistic again, but seeing how competitive the graphic design field is, I don't think anyone would be willing to take in an apprentice. They've got more than enough job candidates.

Private universities rarely have any scholarships. For two that I know of I won't be eligible next year (I was eligible last September, but it's too late now).

I wouldn't like to go abroad, I don't think I could handle it now.
Yes, I could be unemployed. My salary is helpful but it's not that we couldn't make a living without it. It's a job in a cakeshop and the situation there has been worsening recently, so all I know is that I don't want to spend my life in such places - working my ass off for the minimum wage and somebody's business to thrive. So yeah, I guess I have to get that degree.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pork Chops (Post 1361219)
Matter, I don't know if your school has Peer Support, but it can be very good when older students help younger ones through classroom and subject difficulties. Maybe you can get advice from an older student?

Due to the pandemic most of support services have been suspended, unfortunately.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallika (Post 1361311)
I've linked some reputed sites which offer online courses below:
https://www.udemy.com
https://www.coursera.org
https://www.edx.org
https://www.mooc.org
http://www.open.ac.uk

Another thing you could do is contact the people at your high school. Also, don't forget the power of connections. Is there anyone in your family or social circle who's working in a job you might be interested in?
There are many paths to success, and there's nothing wrong in stepping away from the traditional, tried-and-tested path and explore what works best for you.

Thank you for the links. It's very hard to motivate myself, but maybe I'll give some a try.
School's always been an oppressive place for me, so I really don't want to get back there anymore. Schools in my country are very academic-oriented. I know that, for example, in the UK pupils are offered web design, dancing, acting, psychology etc. This is very, very different in Poland. The options are extremely limited, we only have a handful of subjects to choose from, so we are basically taught nothing that could come in handy in the future.
My family is very academic-oriented as well. Mostly teachers or people otherwise connected to education. Not a single artist.

While your last words are very wise and I'm inclined to agree, it might be a good way for people who have a creative idea and want to pursue it. I have nothing.

Anyways, thank you very much for all your replies.

Silvan June 12th 2021 06:40 PM

I'm feeling completely hopeless. I had no idea what I would study in 2nd grade of high school. Then in 3rd grade. Then when I was supposed to start studies like all my peers. Fast-forward to one year later, I still have no idea what to study, and I have to choose until the beginning of July. I just feel there's no right studies for me at all. I will be forced to study something I don't like. I don't have passion for anything, honestly. If I had I would choose it. I don't know how I'm supposed to survive 3 years learning some bullshit. I cry every single day because I feel so awful. I want it all to go away.

Celyn June 14th 2021 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear how bad this is affecting you, even to the point of crying every day.

Are there any subjects that you pick up easier than others? Even if you have no/little interest, it can make things less stressful if there is something you can do that might not require a lot of effort. Or subjects where there is less focus on writing essays? I know in the UK, things like biology and chemistry, while there are tests, there are also practical assessments as well. Or anything that might help give you transferrable skills, even if it isn't completely relevant to what you want to do? For example, I studied Religious Studies and found that I was more interested in the ethical side of things rather than the religions themselves.

It's okay not to have passion for school, whether that's the subjects, the education system or both. It's hard trying to get through it day by day, but school doesn't last forever. You might not be able to study or go into graphic design/the arts right now, which is very unfortunate, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will never get the chance to do this either. Hang in there, okay? :hug:

Silvan June 25th 2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1367980)
Sorry to hear how bad this is affecting you, even to the point of crying every day.

Are there any subjects that you pick up easier than others? Even if you have no/little interest, it can make things less stressful if there is something you can do that might not require a lot of effort. Or subjects where there is less focus on writing essays? I know in the UK, things like biology and chemistry, while there are tests, there are also practical assessments as well. Or anything that might help give you transferrable skills, even if it isn't completely relevant to what you want to do? For example, I studied Religious Studies and found that I was more interested in the ethical side of things rather than the religions themselves.

It's okay not to have passion for school, whether that's the subjects, the education system or both. It's hard trying to get through it day by day, but school doesn't last forever. You might not be able to study or go into graphic design/the arts right now, which is very unfortunate, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will never get the chance to do this either. Hang in there, okay? :hug:

Thank you for your reply Holly.

Rivière June 27th 2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matter (Post 1367939)
I don't have passion for anything, honestly.

If I recall, you've been into fitness and the gym. You enjoy going and were even considering working towards being a personal trainer. Is this not something you could pursue? Even if you don't want to be a PT anymore, it would perhaps give you some direction, and an insight into the human body wouldn't go amiss. It would open many doors into many fields of work. Not just at the gym, but in the medical field as well. :)

Silvan June 27th 2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivière (Post 1368304)

If I recall, you've been into fitness and the gym. You enjoy going and were even considering working towards being a personal trainer. Is this not something you could pursue? Even if you don't want to be a PT anymore, it would perhaps give you some direction, and an insight into the human body wouldn't go amiss. It would open many doors into many fields of work. Not just at the gym, but in the medical field as well. :)

Yeah I've been thinking about that. But I've been physically active for only around 1,5 years. I took the massage course in spring and PT course recently, and to be honest: I'm completely fed up with the topic of human body. I mean it's interesting and I'm going to use all the knowledge to train safely/effectively myself, but I really really don't like the idea of learning about it all for the next 5 years. And working with customers as a physiotherapist? No-no.

Silvan July 16th 2021 07:24 PM

Time to apply for unis in my country is up. I chose to apply for physical therapy and history. I don't intend to study both, of course. I will try to attend classes on both for a month or so and then choose what I like more. I hope I'll be able to arrange my schedule this way.

I am still certain about neither. Maybe at least one will turn out okay.
Thank you all for your extensive replies. I appreciate the time and effort you took to read my post and write your replies.