TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   College advice please? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t89165-college-advice-please/)

Katrina123 November 23rd 2011 07:41 PM

College advice please?

So Im starting to think about my future and after thought and research found out that Stanford University covers most of my interests. Im not worried about my grades because they are good. What worries me is that I dont really participate in school life apart from getting good grades and I know that has some impact on my application. I just don't find it interesting and I think its kinda pointless so I just don't care. All I want is to leave the place forever.

So for the ones that already are into college or graduates; How much impact do my extracuricular activities play in my application. And what should I do:?

Kate* November 23rd 2011 07:51 PM

Re: College advice please?

Hey Katrina, I think the impact they have mostly depends on the school you plan to go to and they count more if you're grades aren't so great. I graduated college in May and I never did any activities either. They ask about them on applications, but I don't think my lack of them mattered at all and my grades were A's and B's.

Dream November 23rd 2011 11:43 PM

I do think they matter. At least, for Stanford, I think they matter. Stanford is hard to get into. You'll also want to study really hard for the ACT or SAT- those will make a big difference.

For other schools that are easier to get into, I would say they don't matter. What really matters is getting good grades and a good ACT or SAT. You could always say you were in clubs or join clubs that don't do anything just so that you have a few things to put on your application that look good.

The valedictorian of my HS class went to Stanford. She was basically perfect. She did well on the ACT- somewhere in the 30s I think, but I don't remember the exact store. She also did tennis, swimming, student government, speech & debate, national honor society, and I'm not sure what else.

Ambedo. November 24th 2011 02:52 AM

Hey there,
The emphasis placed on extra-curricular activities depends on the school you're applying to. But, you don't need to become involved with clubs on campus to have something to put on your application. I'm only involved with 2 clubs on campus, but there's a lot of things that I do outside of school. I'm sure you could find something in your community, whether it's a club or volunteer work, that you could get involved with and put on your application. Best of luck!

Coffee. November 24th 2011 07:03 AM

I'm just going to tell you the complete honest truth, not to be mean or anything. The possibility of you getting in is very low. I'm obviously not perfect, not even close, but I did fairly well in high school, I graduated with a 3.9 GPA, I did marching band, concert band, jazz band, the LGBTQ club, Amnesty International club, creative writing club, an honors band in my city, an honors band in my state, and volunteered four+ hours a week at a women's shelter, along with taking honors and AP classes, and my counselor would not even allow me to apply because she gaurenteed I wouldn't get in. Stanford is really really hard to get into, VERY competitive. I would recommend you obtain a back up plan. There are many other wonderful colleges in the US, many with honors programs you can do. You should apply, but don't get your hopes up, I had decent grades and was fairly involved, and I had no chance.

BECCALICIOUS! November 24th 2011 06:28 PM

You're only fourteen. The chances of you having a better idea of what you want to do in three or four years are much greater. And you have time to get involved now. I'm not trying to brag or sound arrogant, but I got into one of the best schools in the country. I took as many AP classes as I could and focused my time on two major extracurriculars: choir and National Honors Society (which was heavily service-oriented in my school) as well as a few lower-commitment groups (i.e, Mathletes, Respect for Life, Anime Club). If you know what you're doing "wrong", try to change it now.

Ghost On The Highway November 24th 2011 11:42 PM

Stanford is a reach for most people, myself included. Commence stat-bragging/dick-sizing lol (4.6 weighted GPA, 1490 SAT, 34 ACT, 800s on SATII, National Merit scholar, Honors/AP's, band, ski team, editor in chief of newspaper, etc.) I didn't really consider Stanford because I couldn't live in California, but I'm reasonably certain I wouldn't get in. I didn't have enough leadership experience, only 2 AP classes, no science/math national awards, only "small scale" volunteering, etc. I also didn't work during high school and was too shy to interview.

Not saying you don't have a chance, just that's its very hard. What are you interested in studying? Is there a cultural/climatological/political/social environment you'd prefer? I'm happy to talk or recommend schools if you want. FTR I ended up at Vanderbilt with a minor scholarship from National Merit and later transferred to Michigan -- 20 miles from home. And I was one of those kids who wanted to go FAR AWAY from home at first. Things change. :)

WashoutThePain November 25th 2011 12:46 AM

I watched a show/documentary on genius children. This guy got the best grades and his dream school was Stanford. He did some extra curriculars as well, but was still rejected. I think they are DEFINITELY looking for the whole package. All schools are.

Still apply, though :) You never know.