TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   College questions (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t94880-college-questions/)

Viky February 12th 2012 09:20 PM

College questions

i've been meaning to post these questions for a long time because my parents won't tell me. I don't understand why but they won't. Anyways I'm looking at Capital University for college and i have a feeling I'm going to graduate early from high school with the chance to take free classes over at our community college. However I don't know what classes I'll need to graduate at Capital as far as things like math and science go. I'm planning to major in Art Therapy and I know the classes I need for that but I've been told I need to take certain math classes and such as well. I don't really know how to word this if you couldn't tell but like what would those other classes be that I would need to take to graduate from there or how could I find out? Like I could call them... but i would need a better way to phrase this because other wise i will sound like an idiot :nosweat:

DeletedAccount71 February 13th 2012 12:29 AM

Re: College questions

Every college has something known as "General Education Requirements." That means that no matter what your major is everyone has to take these classes. Generally these go for all the schools in the state, at least those that are public institutions. Private ones may have classes that are the equivalency of a course if they don't offer it, but the state still mandates education requirements.

What I recommend doing is talking to a community college advisor about what classes are requirements for everyone. Take those classes first so you get them out of the way; plus, you want to take advantage of free classes. Also ask the community college about courses that would transfer to Capital. They should have a list of that if the Capital is in there area. If not (especially if it's out of state), you need to communicate with both schools about what transfers and what doesn't.

Kate* February 13th 2012 03:55 AM

Hey Vicky, those are known as general education or core requirements and you can usually find them somewhere on the school's website (usually under academics somewhere) or by asking someone like your guidance counselor or academic advisor at the community college.

TheCrowing February 13th 2012 03:13 PM

Like said above, they can usually be found on the school's site under academics. Just go to your intended major, and most schools will give a general schedule for the major, or it'll be in a class catalog if they have it online.

Viky February 13th 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar (Post 813570)
Every college has something known as "General Education Requirements."

What I recommend doing is talking to a community college advisor about what classes are requirements for everyone. If not (especially if it's out of state), you need to communicate with both schools about what transfers and what doesn't.

Thank you! :) that helps a lot! and yeahhhh it's out of state so I'll have to see what i can do.
On the website there was a place where it had the GER and i wrote down the URL but now that page is no longer up which is why i was thinking of contacting the school. either way. Thank you for you help, all three of you :D :hug: