TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   College application. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t99441-college-application/)

Unknown10 April 14th 2012 07:10 PM

College application.

Okay guys, for some reason I prefer this to be in the staff section... *)

Basically, I'm applying for a college to study Health and Social care but I'm stuck on the application. It says about Special Educational Needs and below it are tick boxes. I ticked Mental health but there was also another question below asking about help I have at school. should I write down 'Pastoral care'? or something?
:)

Ambedo. April 14th 2012 07:13 PM

Re: College application.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it would work the same way. Even if pastoral care isn't an option at the school you're applying to, I'm sure they could hook you up with someone similar that you could talk to. :)

WashoutThePain April 14th 2012 07:14 PM

My personal opinion.... don't check the box. And just use the services when you get there.

Unknown10 April 14th 2012 07:18 PM

Another concern aswell as my above question :nosweat:
Would I get judged when they read the application since I ticked the box? -_-

WashoutThePain April 14th 2012 07:20 PM

As much as they say they won't judge, they definitely will (at least in my opinion). I would seriously consider NOT checking the box. I would only check that box if you have SERIOUS SERIOUS mental issues that need immediate attention 24/7 and affect you from being partially functional.

If you just need a therapist, HELL NO should you check the box. It's perfectly normal and fine to need mental and emotional support. Checking the box signs you off as a looney (in my opinion).

EDIT: They look at things financially. If you need a shitton of support= MONEY down the drain. They'd rather take someone else.

Unknown10 April 14th 2012 07:41 PM

I have sorted my application out and it has been submitted. :)

WashoutThePain April 14th 2012 07:43 PM

Sorry if I was harsh! Glad you sorted it out :)

PSY April 14th 2012 07:51 PM

I'm glad you sorted it out, too... and for the record, I agree with Amy. As much as I'd like to believe that universities won't discriminate against people with mental illnesses, they do. The bottom-line is that they want students to stick around for the full time and graduate, because it's more money for them and better statistically (lower attrition rate). That's why universities look for a minimum GPA... if you have a low GPA, they'll question whether or not you can pass the classes, and if you can't pass the classes, you're not going to stick around for long (which means the university will get less money and have a higher attrition rate). If you have a severe mental illness that can't be treated very effectively, then the university might not want to risk giving you a chance for the same reason they wouldn't give someone with a 1.0 GPA a chance (and frankly, if you're not in a good state of mind at the moment, then perhaps you should wait a year or two before pursuing a college education - your mental well-being should ALWAYS come first, career goals can be achieved later on). If what you have can be treated with medication and therapy, then seek out those services once you arrive at university.

Unknown10 April 14th 2012 07:54 PM

In the UK we either go to Sixth Forms in schools or straight to college, so it's not like Uni or anything :p. I did what I thought was best suited for my needs and I am offered an interview anyway.. There's no doubt that CAMHS will be in touch with them anyway at some point. Sadly.

Annnnd, Amy, it wasn't harsh. I see where your coming from and I can understand why they'd think that. :)

PSY April 14th 2012 07:56 PM

I'm glad you were offered an interview! In that case, I would emphasize that you are currently treating your mental illness (whatever it is), and that the treatment has been successful thus far. If that hasn't been the case... well, start seeing someone (if you aren't already), or start investigating other methods of treatment (ex. new medication, different therapeutic techniques, etc.).

Unknown10 April 14th 2012 08:04 PM

Okay. :)

Thanks for your advice guys. I very much appreciate it. :D