TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Technology, Gamers and Gadgets (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f24-technology-gamers-gadgets/)
-   -   Chat will no longer work in chrome, or MS Edge. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f24-technology-gamers-gadgets/t140434-chat-will-no-longer-work-chrome-ms-edge/)

TJ- September 6th 2015 02:28 AM

Chat will no longer work in chrome, or MS Edge.

As of a day or two ago, chrome has disabled all NPAPI plugins, including java, which we use on this site to run the chat room. Microsoft Edge also does not support this plugin.

If you wish to get into chat, you must use Internet Explorer (Pre-Windows 10 default browser, Opera, or Firefox (For now, they are working on removing NPAPI as well.)

Maybe it's time to look towards a different chat software?

Ennui. September 6th 2015 04:18 AM

Re: Chat will no longer work in chrome, or MS Edge.

I am moving this to Technology & Gaming since this is a technology-related thread and a lot of people have been coming here about it. Thanks for informing us! :D

Does Safari still allow you to get in? I don't use it, but just wondering for others.

Kintsukuroi. September 6th 2015 04:22 AM

I can get in using Safari.

TJ- September 6th 2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *~Sparkly Queer~* (Post 1202185)
I am moving this to Technology & Gaming since this is a technology-related thread and a lot of people have been coming here about it. Thanks for informing us! :D

Does Safari still allow you to get in? I don't use it, but just wondering for others.

Apple has not stated what their future plans are with safari. But at this current time the only browser that does not work is Chrome.

Opera uses the same renderer as Edge, so it will no longer work eventually.
MS Edge does not work.
Chrome does not work.
Firefox works after clicking to run the plugin. But there are plans to remove it.
Safari seems like the only safe option to stay reliable atm, or a portable firefox at an older version.

Edit: Can you create a topic in the mod forum about possibly sending a site-wide PM with the chat problems, and directing users to use different browsers to attempt to get into chat? Or at least stick it in the intro PM.

Jordioa18 September 6th 2015 09:58 AM

Will you guys make a new version of chat in the future though?

TJ- September 6th 2015 03:07 PM

The chats runs off of software called addonchat. They are licensing it and the applet to run it. It may be possible that addonchat is working on an html 5 version. TH has no play in this though.

Edit: addonchat does now have an HTML5 version. The license needs to be upgraded though.

LlamaLlamaDuck September 7th 2015 04:01 PM

I was in Chat on Saturday night (8pm GMT) on Chrome and it was absolutely fine?

Then again, Chrome has been telling me to update for months and I just keep clicking "remind me later". :nosweat:

Honorary Pug Girl September 7th 2015 05:30 PM

Mine used to work I found a way around it, but now it won't at all.

TJ- September 7th 2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LlamaLlamaDuck (Post 1202349)
I was in Chat on Saturday night (8pm GMT) on Chrome and it was absolutely fine?

Then again, Chrome has been telling me to update for months and I just keep clicking "remind me later". :nosweat:

That's actually it, you're lucky. Don't update it. It's update for most people without asking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honorary Pug Girl (Post 1202358)
Mine used to work I found a way around it, but now it won't at all.

That's the reason, the workaround allowed NPAPI for a while to phase it out, and now they have fully blocked it.

Any official response to when this will be fixed?

Nightblood. September 8th 2015 10:22 AM

I can't get in on Safari. The chat just stays white. And I have problems getting in on Firefox. It'll sometimes let me in but usually just freezes the entire browser.

Gingerbread Latte September 8th 2015 11:18 AM

For people having problems with Firefox who don't want to use IE I use a browser called Maxthon to get into chat and that's working fine :)

TJ- September 10th 2015 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch (Post 1202453)
For people having problems with Firefox who don't want to use IE I use a browser called Maxthon to get into chat and that's working fine :)

I like google ultron ;)

bringmethehorizon♥ September 11th 2015 05:34 PM

I have been using firefox on my Mac it works perfectly fine. Safari on the other hand does not work so I use firefox just for TeenHelp chat.

Kintsukuroi. September 12th 2015 07:30 AM

I was using Safari to get into chat until a couple of days ago when it stopped working. I'm using Firefox but I hate it. :bleh: Firefox usually works for me but sometimes my Java plugin crashes or I get the spinning wheel of death and it freezes.