TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Nair vs Shaving (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t86012-nair-vs-shaving/)

Boxy October 10th 2011 06:31 PM

Nair vs Shaving

According to many things I've heard shaving does NOT make your hair grow back thicker or darker... But I don't believe this.

So, My question is, does nair act the same way as shaving... and will it make your hair grow back thicker and darker like shaving does (or at least the way I believe it does lol)?

-Boxy

Angel October 10th 2011 06:34 PM

Re: Nair vs Shaving

No, hair removal products such as Nair sort of melt your hair off.

The shaving thing is a myth. Even if it were true, it's too convenient for anything who shaves to care, really.

Boxy October 10th 2011 06:40 PM

Well I have PCOS which causes me to have like excess facial hair.. it's not incredibly noticeable right now.. but I notice it and I'm self conscious about it. And I'm afraid if I shave it then ALL the hair will grow back dark and long, instead of just the ones that are already like that that I already tweeze. Plus I don't want the whole razor burn thing on my face.. and idk if nair will do that either..

Boxy October 10th 2011 06:42 PM

Like I can tell by looking at someone's face if they shave.. they have the little stubby stuff ALL OVER and a sorta five oclock shadow thing going on (and yes, I'm talking about on women).... Does nair do that?

Angel October 10th 2011 06:46 PM

I don't think it's very smart to use Nair on your face. As hair grows back it's bound to happen, but there are ways you can avoid it to a certain extent. Have you considered waxing? It pulls hair out by the root so you can go longer in between periods without having to worry about it growing back.

Maloo October 10th 2011 07:00 PM

Nair can give you a chemical burn, and that would be a lot less attractive and a lot more painful than just having some excess facial hair.

And I guess you're going to believe what you want, but it's really not true that shaving makes your hair grow back any differently.

FairyPoppins October 10th 2011 09:14 PM

The reason shaven hair looks like it's growing back thicker is because the end has been blunted and is therefore not tapered like it was before.

But it really is an optical illusion and a convenient advertising ploy. ;)

I personally don't like hair removal creams because if they are tough enough to dissolve hair, goodness knows what they are doing to your skin and what's beneath it. :o

However, I can also see why you wouldn't want to shave your face.

So if waxing isn't for you and you really want to use a hair removal cream, I suggest applying it to a small area of your face first (e.g. a finger print-sized area) and, after washing it off, waiting 24 hours to see if you have any adverse reactions.

Is your hair too thick to be able to bleach it?

Magic. October 10th 2011 09:21 PM

I wouldn't use nair. A lot of people I know have had bad reaction, and that's just on legs etc. The chemicals are very strong, some people's skin does not work well with them.
Have you tried waxing? Like going to a professinal? It may seem embarrassing, but more women have facial hair than you'd know, and most waxers offer female facial waxing. That or threading? You can get little devices for threading yourself, or just twist up some thread. It works kinda the same as waxing, pulling the hairs out from the root ... I know a few girls who use it on their faces :)

Daivia October 10th 2011 09:42 PM

I use nair on my arms, because you really aren't supposed to shave them (so I've been told) and I can't afford to wax them, nor to I have to dexterity to thread my arms. Nair does burn and it's probably not very good for my skin, but boy is it cheap.

I shave my legs and armpits, and use tweezers for my eyebrows.

I don't think any of these methods changes the way my hair grows.

Eternal October 11th 2011 01:18 AM

Nair would be too harsh for your face, if you are nervous about shaving then maybe try waxing. I heard it hurts less the more you do it.

Boxy October 11th 2011 01:42 AM

Well I didn't mean Nair exactly. They make products similar to nair that's a cream that you can use on your face. I just figured most people know what Nair is.

Boxy October 11th 2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairy Poppins (Post 738204)

Is your hair too thick to be able to bleach it?

It's not thick really... but it's not just the dark color I don't like it's the length aswell... they can be like an inch long O_o

Ghost On The Highway October 11th 2011 02:20 AM

Nair doesn't work, smells like feces, and burns your skin. Waxing, laser, or shaving are your best bets.

Kitty. October 11th 2011 04:27 AM

Honestly, I recommend that you wax. Have you ever considered waxing?

Magic. October 11th 2011 05:23 AM

Even the ones similar to nair, for use on faces are harsh. They still have to "melt" the hair away so have pretty strong chemicals ...
Waxing hurts a lot less than people think it does, it lasts longer than shaving or nair etc do and when hair grows back it grows back lighter and finer :)

ARTPOP October 11th 2011 09:59 AM

Don't use hair removal cream on your face, it burns, it's way to a sensitive area!!!! The packet told me I could use it on my face, it really hurt!

Waxing? It hurt for a milisecond! Or the Beauty Wand for qick fixes?

xx

C0co October 11th 2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxy (Post 738066)
Well I have PCOS which causes me to have like excess facial hair.. it's not incredibly noticeable right now.. but I notice it and I'm self conscious about it. And I'm afraid if I shave it then ALL the hair will grow back dark and long, instead of just the ones that are already like that that I already tweeze. Plus I don't want the whole razor burn thing on my face.. and idk if nair will do that either..

For the face I would suggest either tweezing or waxing. But as for using Nair, I wouldn't recommend it. Nair can be really harsh on your skin.

MamaBear October 13th 2011 06:09 AM

As a joke I used nair on my fiances back, when it started to grow back I dd notice the color was black instead of blonde like it was before and it was significantly thicker. So I think the chances of it are pretty much the same.

Before I started shaving anywhere all of my hair was extremely blonde, today it too is thick and black so I wouldn't suggest using nair or a shaver, there was a product I heard about that is called 'No! No!' I believe which is safe to use pretty much anywhere on your body, including your face, you could try that. And normally it takes a lot of usage of shaving to get it thick and dark so I'm sure using a trial would would out fine.

My sister actually waxes, before she shaved and the more she shaved the more she would get these dark little pours on her skin were the hair would grow in (mind you shes as pale as a sheet and the pours were a dark purple) then she started waxing which actually got rid of her pours and dark spots, it lasts apparently twice as long as a shaver and there is no red spots from it or anything, just smoothness........of course I personally have never tried this, I'm just going by her word but again, no harm in trying right?

Hope I helped.