TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Money Matters (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f256-money-matters/)
-   -   Guilty feeling. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f256-money-matters/t161715-guilty-feeling/)

Dawn. May 30th 2021 07:00 AM

Guilty feeling.

I was wondering if anyone feels guilty and/or anxious about spending their own money on themselves? I often feel guilty and/or anxious when I spend money on things for myself. For example, today I had to do some shopping for essential items, order my food for the week and I bought my family lunch. I felt so guilty for the amount of money that I spent on myself and thought to myself, I should of used what I spent on the essential items for myself just for lunch. I work 2 jobs and work up to 7 days a week so the only thing I spend my money is on bills. I have felt this guilt for a while now and I feel like it's slowly getting worse. I have worked 2 jobs for the last 3 years and I often believe that work is my life now. I don't get any satisfaction if I'm not working or doing something that I believe is considered to be productive such as studying or the like.

Rivière May 30th 2021 12:37 PM

Re: Guilty feeling.

Yes! I'm so bad that sometimes, even when I know I genuinely need something, I will still look for justification from others. I'll weigh up the pros and cons for them and wait for them to tell me their answer. Almost always it's, 'I think you should get it' and I'll be like, 'I feel bad for spending money when we really need it' . They'll go through some speech with me about how I barely spend money on myself anyway and so on.

I think when a person is in a situation where they really need money, any amount of money spent, even on essential things, can make a person feel bad. However, those things are just that - essential. Even if it's not food, you still may need moisturisers, body wash, shower gel, sanitary pads, lip balm. Whatever else. These things are important to self-care and to help ensure we look the part for our jobs in the first place.

I imagine you're still going to, but try to see it as though you're doing it for the purposes of work. Even if it's some personal clothing. You still need them for the mental health factor. Buying something new isn't always a bad thing.

Ennui. May 30th 2021 09:52 PM

I do, but now I'm also trying to make a budget and have bipolar which causes me to overspend, aha.

Essential items are important though! You'll end up feeling bad if you DON'T have them in the end since you won't be able to eat for the week or take care of yourself properly.

But heck, even if you're low on cash you still deserve nice things and to treat yourself sometimes. You shouldn't have to be miserable or never be able to treat yourself!

Honestly Sarah said it better than I did and I agree with her!

Dawn. June 1st 2021 10:45 AM

Thank you for your replies. :)

I don't overspend and I am really good with budgeting my money now so I do have a lot of savings now. But I still feel guilty when I do spend money on myself. :nosweat:

Palmolive June 8th 2021 02:46 PM

It sounds like these things are essential items which help ensure you have human rights such as eating food. I can imagine the guilt isn’t a pleasant feeling but just wanted to remind you that it’s more than okay to spend money in these things and is even okay to spend money on ‘nice’ things for yourself too!

Dawn. June 9th 2021 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmolive (Post 1367781)
It sounds like these things are essential items which help ensure you have human rights such as eating food. I can imagine the guilt isn’t a pleasant feeling but just wanted to remind you that it’s more than okay to spend money in these things and is even okay to spend money on ‘nice’ things for yourself too!

I have to keep telling myself that.

Whicas July 26th 2021 06:43 AM

Luckily mine didn't wake me up this morning.

Dawn. July 26th 2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whicas (Post 1369365)
Luckily mine didn't wake me up this morning.

Mine didn't either surprisingly.