TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Tattoos and Piercings (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f27-tattoos-piercings/)
-   -   Think before getting a tattoo (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f27-tattoos-piercings/t136-think-before-getting-tattoo/)

TibbySkye January 6th 2009 02:06 PM

Think before getting a tattoo

Since it's not here anymore I'll redo it :p

There were a lot of "look at my new tattoo" posts before and I'm sure they'll come back. Think a long time before you get a tattoo. in September, my artist thought it would be fun to design a tattoo for me. I liked it and got it done. That was then. Now I don't like it so much. I went through one treatment of laser removal two months ago and it's very, very painful (they're not lying).
Now, the tattoo is kind of messed up looking. Also, think about where you get it. Mine was on my shoulder. I hope you all can learn from my mistake.

Your stomach can stretch; chest, hands, neck, arms, show so be prepared to cover them or lose jobs.
An old co worker of mine always had a bandage on his neck to cover his tattoo. Our manager was nice to let him keep the job with a band aid, most wouldn't.

Bottom line: think hard before you get it. Ask yourself
-Will I like it 10 years from now?
-What does it mean to me?
-Will it effect my future?

Remember, they're permanent. If you really like a design, draw it on yourself and see how long you can have it there before you get tired of seeing it.
I am not anti tattoo at all. I do have one that I love and I know I'll love forever. It has a lot of meaning to me. Make sure yours does too.

i_am_me_again January 6th 2009 02:11 PM

Thats good advice. Me - I love tattoos, However I should listen to advice from you before chossing my next one.

Stuckinhell January 6th 2009 03:44 PM

Just to add to those wise words. I know its a long way in the future. But i work at a retirement home. You see people who started with a small tatoo on there arm, to a stretched saggy picture, blurred beyond recognition. It's really disgusting.

So think before you do

Ellie January 6th 2009 06:48 PM

Thanks for re-posting this Tibby. Definitely something worth reading :]

imasuckerforlovers January 6th 2009 06:57 PM

i personally think all tattoos should have meaning, i think getting random things on you isn't vary smart. Because your exactly right, you could easily change your mind.

WhySoSerious? January 8th 2009 09:46 PM

Re: Think before getting a tattoo

Yeah, if you're tattoo means something to you then the odds are that you wont' get tired of seeing it and it will probably still be important 10 years from when you get it.

BrittneyNicole January 8th 2009 10:54 PM

Good advice :]
When I got mine done.. I waited at least 2 years before I went. What I wanted didn't change and where I wanted it didn't change so I was sure I would like it in 40 years. And mine has a meaning close to me.

I'd suggest anyone figure out what they want, and then wait a year or so and make sure nothing changes. There is also some website that you can mail a picture of your wanted tattoo and they will turn it into a temporary one and give you a years supply. That way, you can wear it and figure out if you like it.

TibbySkye January 14th 2009 07:01 PM

This was stickied before can someone sticky it again?

emotionless129 January 14th 2009 07:05 PM

Very good advice. I'm going to be 18 in 2 weeks so I've been contemplating tattoos but I definitely want to choose something that I won't regret getting later on...

Jaymz404 January 14th 2009 07:13 PM

I'm not allowed them, so that kind of stops me.

Job won't allow them as they look common and unprofessional, is what I was told!

TibbySkye January 15th 2009 06:24 PM

Well, lucky for me I stay around the entertainment business so no one cares.....that was random.

Nightblood. January 15th 2009 08:38 PM

Very good advice. I want a tattoo quite badly, but I know that I most likely will get very sick of it very fast. I think I'll stick to hena

falling_x January 20th 2009 10:04 AM

Good advice!

Thanks!

*Faith* January 20th 2009 11:15 AM

That did help a lot...luckily in my career (if I get it) I can keep them hidden.

Penguin Queen January 21st 2009 07:03 AM

My sister had a tattoo about 5 years ago. She now wants it gone. It took us about an hour to cover it up on her wedding day. Its not that long since she had it, so be careful!

LycanGrrrl January 22nd 2009 11:08 AM

I want to get a tattoo on my back for my birthday, but I'll follow ur advice