TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/)
-   -   Does Religion cause war? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/t25100-does-religion-cause-war/)

Blackwing September 8th 2009 08:38 PM

Does Religion cause war?

Do you believe Religion is the main cause of major wars throughout history?

DoesThisLookInfected? September 8th 2009 09:13 PM

Re: Does Religion cause war?

It's definitely A main cause of war. There really isn't a THE main cause. But it's obviously causes many wars. The crusades were one. I'm pretty sure every war that the Persians were involved in were partly religious. Israel v. The rest of the middle east... I could go on an on.

losing touch. September 8th 2009 09:33 PM

one of the main causes, definitely.

Double X September 8th 2009 09:39 PM

Yeah, definitely. Not the only one though.

MechanicGodCreation September 8th 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDGE (Post 231320)
Do you believe Religion is the main cause of major wars throughout history?

Yes. End of story.

Jamie September 9th 2009 12:06 AM

If we're talking about major wars...in times past, yes. In the modern era...not so much, but still a key factor- such as the middle east.

SimplyComplex September 9th 2009 01:09 AM

Sure, religion is a cause. But man is no less to blame than what the war is based upon. :p

Dream September 9th 2009 03:35 AM

Not necessarily. Some religions promote ways of thinking that will encourage war while others don't. It depends on the religion.

The ways of thinking that promote war are principles that one considers to be universal and without compromise. If people can't compromise, they can't have a discussion. Thus, no alternative to physical conflict is possibe.

BigBL87 September 9th 2009 04:31 AM

Religion in and of itself I do not think causes wars. Human perversion of religions for selfish reasons, personal gain, etc., is the cause, religions have just been the mode through which they have done it. Very few religions that I know of promote/cause/encourage war in and of themselves.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU September 9th 2009 04:58 AM

No, religion is not a cause of war. Religion is merely a tool and the tool by itself is completely harmless. It's the people who adhere to whatever religions that cause the war. It's like having a wand and a wizard; people are the wizard and religion is one of many wands. The wand by itself cannot do anything, it needs the wizard, however, the wizard, although they need a wand, they don't need any wand in particular as any other wand can suffice.

Xujhan September 9th 2009 05:55 AM

In some ways, yes, and in others no. I'd say - and I'm only guessing - more leaders throughout history started wars because of greed than religion. But a greedy leader does not an army make, and religion is one of the single post powerful tools for controlling large numbers of people. It's not that religion preaches violence directly - though some do - but more that it teaches obedience and discipline. The promise of an afterlife doesn't help matters either; as an atheist, I can think of very few things less appealing than marching off to be relieved of the sixty or seventy years of consciousness I have left.

Tigers September 9th 2009 08:52 PM

Only World war2 that i know.!

Algernon September 9th 2009 08:54 PM

It sure as hell does.

Gidig September 9th 2009 09:13 PM

Correlation but not always causation. That's my opinion anyway. I think we'd almost have peace if there was no religion.

Acheron September 9th 2009 09:45 PM

I'm not sure that it's possible to disentangle the causes of a war. While proximate causes are fairly easy to work out (for example, the Second World War began because Germany invaded Poland), ultimate causes are trickier. Religion, if it's a cause of war at all, can only be an ultimate cause: religion is an ongoing idea rather than a single event. And while I think that in many cases religion has been part of the motivation for war, it goes hand in hand with political and economic factors. Could those wars in which religion was a factor have taken place without religion? Impossible to say. Religion has been such a constant factor in human civilisation that it's removal would lead to societies very different to the ones that have evolved in our religion-infested world.

Still, I suspect it is a major cause for conflict. An essential part of warfare, and other forms of conflict, is to see your enemy not as someone largely similar to yourself but as someone alien. That's much easier if you see them as a hell-bound sinner, hated by your god for all the abominable acts they commit.

glittermist September 9th 2009 10:58 PM

Religion can't cause wars by itself; like others have stated. It's people within a certain religion who for whatever reason twist and pervert it for their own gains. If there was no religion; these people would still exist; however they would use something else as a means of conveying their wars.

DeletedAccount84 September 9th 2009 11:12 PM

As far as I can tell, the majority of wars are based on greed, power, and ownership. Religion may be used by those in power to control the minions who'll be sent off to their death in many cases.

But you get plenty of wars not about religion. Rather difference. Difference in religion may count in this, but it doesn't have to be religion. It can also be race, culture, political beliefs. Like at the Vietnam and Korean wars. Look at Afganstan. If the difference is religion, it doesn't mean Religion caused the war, but human's tendancy to stereotype, and discriminate. Also the desire for more land, or property. Like the recent invasion of Georgia by Russia. Or, as many people claim/think, the US going into Iraq for oil (Im not saying this is my view, but its definately many people's).

Much of Britian's conquering of the world was about an Empire. Not really about religion. Of course the Brits thought they had the right religion, but they weren't only targeting those of other faith. Britian has a huge conflict history with France, both Christian countries.

WW2 was about race, and making German great again (when Hitler did what he did), and then turned into full out war from German aggression at the invasion of Poland because Britain couldn't turn a blind eye anymore. America mostly joined in because of the bombing of Pearl Habour, that's barely about religion.

Then you get tribes in Africa who hack each other to death, just because they are different. Also in the orient, there were fuedal (sp) wars, basically between clans for power, land and money. Religion wasn't interlinked with this at all.

Israel and Palestine is vaguely about religion. The Jewish people feel its their God given land, but for the Palestinians, isnt it more about they were already there and their home was basically given away by the Western Powers?

hopefaithlove September 11th 2009 05:09 AM

It's not necessarily the Religion that causes it, but the people in those religions who are so close minded about other religions.

Not the only cause, but definitely a big one.