TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   There's a Doctor in the house! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t83845-theres-doctor-house/)

Dr.Bobby September 12th 2011 12:29 PM

There's a Doctor in the house!

Hello!

I am a licensed Child, adolescent, and family psychologist in clinical practice and Uni teaching, with 25+ years experience. I was working with a teenage patient who told me this site had helped him and encouraged me to check it out and participate, so here I am!

I hope I am welcome here, this place seems well run and extremely helpful, and it's goals seem similar to mine.

If you'd like me to try to help, feel free to send a link of your post.

Eternal Dreamer ♥ September 12th 2011 07:12 PM

Re: There's a Doctor in the house!

Welcome aboard : )

Eternal September 12th 2011 10:02 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp Dr. Bobby :)

Storyteller. September 13th 2011 08:05 AM

Hello and welcome to TeenHelp. :D
I've seen you around already, and I have to say, it's great to have someone with your wealth of knowledge and experience on the site.
Have you considered applying for the staff team? I think it's something you might like. The link for applications is here.
I'll be seeing you, then. :p

Dawn. September 13th 2011 10:23 AM

Heya! Welcome to Teenhelp! :D
I'm Rianna and I'm a Live Help Operator who offers support and advice to users that need it through the Live Help System which is similar to an Instant Messaging Program.

If you need anything at all feel free to message me. :)
Take care.

Ennui. September 13th 2011 10:29 AM

Welcome to TH! I'm Dez, just a regular user here. I'm glad you joined! Have a nice day! :)

MegaMadness September 13th 2011 10:53 AM

Welcome! It's great to see that you see here to help! :D

Everglow. September 14th 2011 06:23 PM

Hiya! Welcome to the site!
I'm Hollie and I'm a buddy here, so if you have any questions let me know and I'll help you out. :)
I really hope you enjoy it here. Since the site is similar to your goals, I'm sure you will! It is indeed a brilliant place and I'm glad people have recommended it to you!
It's a pleasure to have ya here. :hehe:
Take care! :)

Nomophobia September 15th 2011 02:42 PM

nice to have you!

Obliviate September 15th 2011 03:29 PM

Hey. Welcome to TeenHelp.

Glad to hear we've helped one of your patients out.
See you around some time.

DeletedAccount56 September 15th 2011 07:49 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp.
I'm Mia.

Nutty Nat September 16th 2011 01:02 PM

Welcome to the site :)

Whisperer September 17th 2011 12:44 AM

Hola! I think it'll be nice for people to have some professional advice every once and a while since in all my posts I have to mention I'm not a professional haha. Welcome! :)

Fabrication September 17th 2011 04:30 AM

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay :)
:hehe: you joined on my birthday
:dem:

TJ- September 25th 2011 08:17 PM

Not to be a downer here. But is there anyway you could confirm that you're really a doctor with a staff member here? I'm sure it would make everyone feel much easier knowing you're not just random guy faking it.

alliannasmomma5 September 26th 2011 12:14 PM

welcome to TH!

SexySquirrel September 26th 2011 05:16 PM

I agree with TJ to be honest, is there a way you could fax your certificate? or scan it in to the computer and send it to Rob or something? I think if someone is going to be a "Doctor" on TH, one of the admins should see proof...
Welcome to TeenHelp :)

Dr.Bobby September 26th 2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .TJ. (Post 729302)
Not to be a downer here. But is there anyway you could confirm that you're really a doctor with a staff member here? I'm sure it would make everyone feel much easier knowing you're not just random guy faking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin'Panda (Post 729918)
I agree with TJ to be honest, is there a way you could fax your certificate? or scan it in to the computer and send it to Rob or something? I think if someone is going to be a "Doctor" on TH, one of the admins should see proof...
Welcome to TeenHelp :)

First, thanks to all for the welcome. I appreciate it.

I did notify Adms and have yet to hear back. It would have been preferable for my participation to come about thru some kind of official recognition, maybe an announcement and even a special forum for those looking for professional advice.. I understand the desire for some form of confirmation of who I am, yet there would always be some who would doubt the authenticity of anything presented online. And frankly, I'm not so crazy about my own personal info being in cyberspace forever. So, like most things online, there's an element of trust involved. I'm confident that those who take the time to get to know me will see that the knowledge and sophistication of my responses couldn't come from a wannabee. Besides, as I've said elsewhere, impersonating a psychologist is a crime, I'd be subject to arrest, even online.

If the consensus is that I shouldn't be here, I'm happy to leave without any drama. However, I'd like to think the issue is more about quality (which is demonstrable) not credentials (which aren't).

escape_thereal_world September 26th 2011 05:53 PM

I think you are fine to stay as long as you don't go around "diagnosing" people on here. Otherwise, your credentials shouldn't mean anything. You are some with knowledge and the willingness to help. That should be welcome, and it is from my view.

But, again, as long as you don't say "I'm certain you have Bipolar Disorder and you will need this medicine, etc" :bleh: And you have not done that. So, welcome and stay :)

Kate* September 26th 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world (Post 729937)
I think you are fine to stay as long as you don't go around "diagnosing" people on here. Otherwise, your credentials shouldn't mean anything. You are some with knowledge and the willingness to help. That should be welcome, and it is from my view.

But, again, as long as you don't say "I'm certain you have Bipolar Disorder and you will need this medicine, etc" :bleh: And you have not done that. So, welcome and stay :)

As a professional he will be the first to tell you that even he can't diagnose anyone online.

Kyeto-X September 26th 2011 06:23 PM

Welcome to Teenhelp I'm Will, a HelpLINK mentor here and a current social worker major.

And yes, while I agree that we cannot trust your credentials on here, from what I've seen form your post, you are fine. You just give solid advise with lots of infomation when needed. Which is exactly how I handle these things as an amateur. As long as no one looks too deep into your post simply because "you must know more" and NOT because it is sound advice.

bitesize September 26th 2011 07:13 PM

Cool, I'm leaning towards to the idea of a career in child psychology. Nice to meet you. (: x

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! September 26th 2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby (Post 729930)
It would have been preferable for my participation to come about thru some kind of official recognition, maybe an announcement and even a special forum for those looking for professional advice..

I don't bother commenting in threads in the introductory area but yours is obviously interesting. To me you're just another user on this site who, like all users, brings their own unique experiences and education from their life. Legality aside, I don't care if you're playing "pretend doctor" because you cannot easily benefit in some corrupt way.
As long as you don't frequently say in your posts that there is a quality assurance because you're a doctor, or state the post may be more valid because you're a professional, I see no reason for you to prove you are who you say you are. Besides, even if you do, as you already mentioned, you'll still have skeptics so it'll be circular.

TakeTheLeap September 26th 2011 07:52 PM

To be perfectly honest, I can see the positivity in having a professional psychologist here to give advice; however, I feel that it's walking a fine line and COULD cause someone to not seek professional advice when it is needed, "because I can talk to Dr. Bobby online."
Even with impersonation (whether that's the case or not), let's pose a scenario: A person in the congregation of a local church gets suddenly ill and is rendered unconscious. Someone immediately calls for a doctor, and the doctor you get is someone who has a doctoral degree in English. Helpful? No.
Now, do I think that's the case here? No. Do I know for sure? No. What bothers me is that you continue to promote yourself as a doctor, saying, "Yes, there is a doctor in the house," and, "Yes. I am a psychologist," which seems to automatically give you more validity. I feel that you could be just as effective in helping users without ever having mentioned your degree or practice.

I'll admit, I'm skeptical. I will continue to be skeptical. I can trust you with advice as a person, but to ask me to trust you because impersonating a doctor is illegal but there's no other basis for me to trust you.... I'm a bit nervous about that.

Regardless, welcome to the site!

Stargazed. September 26th 2011 07:53 PM

Welcome to the site Dr.Bobby. I don't see the big deal of you being here and like everyone else said, as long as you don't try to diagnose people online (which is near impossible) or throw around the fact that you're a doctor then I don't see a reason to "prove who you are". Most people on here are anonymous anyways and you deserve the right to stay anonymous too. With that said, welcome to TeenHelp and I hope you enjoy it here as much as we do. :) By the way, I'm going to be studying psychology too to be an adolescent drug and alcohol counselor. :D

Spellbound September 26th 2011 08:58 PM

Hi everyone,
As one of the moderators of this forum I would like to remind everyone that the purpose of Arrivals and Departures is to welcome new users. Anything else should be taken to PM rather than discussed publicly on the forums.
Thank you!

And to the OP - Welcome to the site! It's nice to meet you. (:

-Katelyn. :)

dr2005 September 26th 2011 09:20 PM

Welcome to the site - always good to have someone from another perspective among us. :)

BlueWolf September 26th 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master (Post 729973)
I don't bother commenting in threads in the introductory area but yours is obviously interesting. To me you're just another user on this site who, like all users, brings their own unique experiences and education from their life. Legality aside, I don't care if you're playing "pretend doctor" because you cannot easily benefit in some corrupt way.
As long as you don't frequently say in your posts that there is a quality assurance because you're a doctor, or state the post may be more valid because you're a professional, I see no reason for you to prove you are who you say you are. Besides, even if you do, as you already mentioned, you'll still have skeptics so it'll be circular.

I completely agree with this, however, I have noticed that in some of your posts you have "state the post may be more valid because you're a professional." I don't think this is a good idea. This place is for us to help one another and provide advice.

Storyteller. September 27th 2011 12:32 AM

As the other moderator of this forum, I'd also like to remind you that this is the Arrivals & Departures forum, where you're meant to welcome or farewell users - not argue about whether or not a user is who they say they are. I think that this thread is becoming less about welcoming the user and more about trying to discredit him, so I'm going to close this. PM me if you disagree.