TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Homework Help (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/)
-   -   What's your motivation to do homework and such? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/t5387-whats-your-motivation-do-homework-such/)

MadPoet February 18th 2009 12:48 AM

What's your motivation to do homework and such?

Ugh. :P
Well basically lately I just don't give a you know what about my school work and my grades but everyone has really been getting at me about doing better in school and I think I need a motivation to care anymore...

The same goes for a LOT of things in my life right now, because I care about rarely anything nowadays, but the main problem is basically school.

So i'm just wondering, is there any way I can keep myself motivated and force myself not to just shove my homework away and not do it?

(I'm posting this just as I get yelled at for not doing homework. Ha, funny)

Any help..? I think I could use it. Thanks.

- Amanda.

tranquilize February 18th 2009 01:10 AM

Re: What's your motivation to do homework and such?

Hey Amanda,

I'm a procrastinator myself; over the past couple of months I've been working on improving my time management skills and getting my homework done on time.

Here are just a few tips that I've found to be quite useful.
1) Find a quiet work space, away from people who will constantly nag you.
2) Listen to music, if it helps you focus, or even just wear ear phones to block out distracting noise. I've found that it helps calm your mind and keeps you focused on the task at hand.
3) Keep organized (I'm so horrible when it comes to keeping things nice and tidy, but it makes things easier in the long run.)
4) Place small realistic goals for yourself, and reward yourself with something you enjoy after you complete them. (ie; If I finish 10 math questions, I will give myself one bite of that chocolate crunch bar.)
5) Keep track of due dates on a calender. (Calenders are extra awesome, especially if they sport your favorite photos. ;D )
6) Get some more rest. Stress and a lack of sleep may be causing you to feel like you don't like anything anymore; it's best to get a good nights sleep so that you can be chipper and bright eyed in the morn'!

I hoped I helped!
Lindsay

MadPoet February 18th 2009 01:16 AM

Thanks Lindsay, those are some good tips. xx

Paddy February 18th 2009 01:46 AM

Some thing's which motivate me in to doing work are the imagen of the 'final' out come, what i'll achieve if i stick with it and get my work done.
very good tips though.

her_beautiful_mistake February 18th 2009 02:11 PM

Create a goal that you really want. Is there a career in mind? Any grade you want this year? If you create a goal that you sincerely want to achieve, keep reminding yourself of your goal and it should motivate you to work.

Saying this I should be working now, but here I am putting off my work!

Hyper Sonic February 18th 2009 04:37 PM

In the short term mine is to complete the work so I can get free time to watch tv/log onto msn etc...

In the long term it is knowing that it will help me to understand and reach towards the grade I want.

In addition to Lindsay's tips I would say do work whenever you have a spare 5 minutes at school or a free period if you have them although it's still important to take a break now and again

Lorelei February 18th 2009 05:24 PM

Hey Amanda!
I'm a terrible procrastinator, too. At this very moment I have fifty pages of English homework on my desk that I should be doing. And it's due tomorrow. -_-
Any-who, motivation!

There's short-term motivation, which is just a little reward for doing the homework and the consequences of not doing the homework. For example:
-If I finish my math, I can have a break to get a snack!
-If I don't finish my math, the teacher will give me a zero tomorrow, and I'll be disappointed in myself.

Then there's long-term motivation. Is there a particular job you're interested in after you graduate? How much additional education does it require? Plus, there's always the general satisfaction of working hard to understand something and FINALLY getting it right! :) Knowledge stays with you and you never know when it's going to come in handy, even if you feel like it's pointless right now.

Additionally, background music can help. Choose music you already know well so that you don't get distracted listening to it. (If you try this method and it just distracts you more, drop it. :P)

It might also help to have a little snack or something caffeinated. I usually get a cup of coffee or tea and drink it while I'm doing my homework, or have some chips and salsa on my study break.

*sips coffee thoughtfully and returns to English homework*

Tegan February 18th 2009 05:35 PM

Hey this is some really good advice, :)

I think this may have been mentioned but i'm not sure.
I do one thing like: If i spend an hour solidly working on this then i can take a half hour out and watch Hollyoaks.... then I'll have an hour back on.
I hope you find something that works for you.