TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Work, Studying and Learning (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f544-work-studying-learning/)
-   -   Advocating for my needs at work. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f544-work-studying-learning/t162991-advocating-my-needs-work/)

Ennui. June 10th 2022 11:58 PM

Advocating for my needs at work.

There are three of us that do my job: me, JL, and JC.

JL is going to have a baby and is leaving the organization, which will just leave me and JC. There is no possibility of hiring anyone else.

I try to work limited hours due to my mental health screwing me up, but work up to 25 (normally less). I think I'll be taking on most of JL's work when she leaves, because JC never gets assigned as many cases as JL and I do. My boss already told me that it'll be just me and JC, "not to stress me out," and that I can work over the 25 hours if I want but to let her know first so she can budget for it.

No, I don't want to work over the 25 hours but I feel like that's what's going to end up happening because of JL leaving. How do I advocate for my needs during the times where I mentally cannot work the 25 hours?

Kate* June 11th 2022 07:24 AM

Re: Advocating for my needs at work.

Documented mental health issues are covered under the ADA. If they know about it, and you can only work 25 hours or less, document in writing that you've discussed it with them, which should be enough. You might want a doctor or therapist's note just in case, and then if they try to give you a hard time, or force it on you, you're protected by law. Obviously, you would bring this up as a last resort if they make things difficult. Start with civil conversations, and if needed work up the chain of command. Be firm, but professional.

DeletedAccount81 June 15th 2022 08:48 PM

Hi Dez, I would suggest reaching out to your doctor or a psychiatrist to get a note via the ADA — Americans with Disabilities Act. It states that employers cannot discriminate against you or fire you solely on the basis of your disability. Have a conversation first with your doctor or psychiatrist, explain this to them and they'll vouch for you. Then go speak to your employer, with the note in your hands, and explain to them that you're unable to work the 25+ hours per week. I would also have something prepared beforehand, in addition to the note from your care team.

Did they say why they won't be able to hire a third person?

Ennui. June 15th 2022 10:56 PM

The reason a third person can’t be hired is this is a temporary, grant funded position that may be ending within the next few months.

Coffee. June 28th 2022 04:15 PM

:hug:

We need to catch up. I've been jumping from grant-funded temp job to grant-funded temp job throughout the pandemic because our country is a hellscape that won't fund public health. It's horrible, not your fault, not just happening to you...it's the entire system failing workers and the public.

Something I've had to really internalize is that the responsibilities that get dropped because of an agency's staffing problems are NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY. Even if that work naturally would shift from your coworker to you, you're not obliged to work more than the hours you committed to. If you're being asked to work more, you have the right to say no. And even more...what are they going to do, fire you? You're temporary, and you're keeping them afloat!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Let me know if you're job hunting and I cans end anything I see your way.