TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Home Life, Raising Kids and Managing Money (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f545-home-life-raising-kids-managing-money/)
-   -   Home improvement, or DIY projects! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f545-home-life-raising-kids-managing-money/t162767-home-improvement-diy-projects/)

eaty April 4th 2022 04:38 PM

Home improvement, or DIY projects!

Lets talk home improvement or DIY projects!

Have you ever been part of a home improvement project? What did you work on?

What kind of things have you done to your space to improve it? Even if its just a decorating job you are proud of!

Do you have any advice about doing such things?

I'll share some stories later

DeletedAccount81 April 4th 2022 05:29 PM

Re: Home improvement, or DIY projects!

Home renovation is pretty much on my bucket list. Thank you, HGTV! Thank you Chip&Jo and Erin&Ben! <3

But seriously, I've done furniture rearrangements; kind of trying to figure out the various puzzle pieces that works best for me. A few months ago, I moved a chocolate-brown sofa over next to the stand where my TV used to be, moved two end tables and my couch further into the room towards the back wall, so my couch is aligned with a poster I have on my wall.

That's one example.

But other than that, nothing major. Nothing that requires hammers, screwdrivers, drills, paint, drywall, etc etc etc. I'd love to, though!

(Unless we're talking about a wonky TP holder)

eaty April 10th 2022 08:00 PM

Finally getting a chance to share.

First project was more home repair. Whoever installed the gutters on the back of my house were either idiots, or lazy. And it led to water soaking into the fascia board (The board that you install gutters today) and completely rotting. We had birds flying into the hole it created. So we took a weekend to pull that board and a couple others down, and replacing it all.

Second project could have been a simple repair, but we decided to completely renovate the room while there. I have a small room I use to store my clothing, and while walking out of it a hole kinda formed. And once again, idiots built that room. And instead of just fixing the hole, and finding replacement linoleum tiles. We fixed the hole, and installed laminate flooring planks. Painted the room, and added a bit of molding to finish it up. Learned a lot with that one. Also went to the hardware store a LOT. But I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

In the future I want to replace the floor in our upstairs bathroom, but I am in no hurry.

hocus pocus April 12th 2022 03:06 AM

OMG Sarah do you live in a house built by the same people who built mine? Our gutters are like that, too! Very rotted. I went up to clean them and my finger went through the fascia...and then the gutters fell. I think ours are beyond fixing ourselves though.

DIYs/home improvements can be really fun, and you definitely learn a lot in the process. Did you take before and after photos? You should, in the future, if you think about it. They are cool to look back on.

I was younger when my parents did that stuff but I enjoy doing it now. I've done plumbing (that's a pain though), sanding and painting, drywalling (and prepping drywall to paint). Recently I did (had help) my closet to be more efficient.

I like yard work, too but that tends to take a lot of time. Cleaning the shed is next on my to-do list.

Celyn May 4th 2022 10:11 AM

I've mostly done just rearranging furniture. My current project is trying to organise my tiny wardrobe. I'd love to build some shelves/units inside it but that's too advanced for me so I might just buy a cheap plastic unit to sit inside and store out of season clothes.

I wish we could do more DIY. When my dad was alive and well, this house was his project. He did so much work on it. Moved a bathroom from one side of the house to the other, changed the water pipes (think they were lead?), and even did some electrical work too (made sure that they met the regulations at the time). He's also fitted laminate flooring, made a little cupboard under the stairs and plastered and painted the walls and done a little bit of tiling too. I was young at the time but did help out with things like taking wall paper off and cleaning. Outside of the house he has helped build garden walls too.

These days we tend to get builders in to do the work but so far none of have lived up to my dad's standards. I would love to take over though!

MsNobleEleanor May 5th 2022 09:52 PM

In the kitchen the cupboard for cups it's this thin tall shelf for cups. It's ridiculous for cups, and depending on the size of your cups you can only fit 4 or 6 per shelf, there's only 2 shelves. One of the shelves I can't remove to adjust the height.

I bought floating shelves on Amazon for cups with hooks to hang cups. The two shelves are above the sink. Allows me more room and it looks better.

I've added three different sized floating shelves in the living area to make the space more cozy. I utilize the walls with floating shelves for space and storage.

I rent an apartment, I can't alter or change things, I am allowed to put things on the walls as long as I take it down when I move.