TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Travel while pregnant (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t119545-travel-while-pregnant/)

Cupcake_Mustache May 21st 2013 05:13 AM

Travel while pregnant

My family has been planning a trip to Mexico since before I even became pregnant. We will be leaving in about 2 months and I will be roughly 26 weeks into my pregnancy. I am scared to go because I don't want to have complications with the baby. My family is going with or without me. We will be driving from Iowa to about the middle of Mexico. Almost 36 hours of driving. We will be there for 2 weeks. It will be mostly visiting family.
I am, overall, healthy and so is the baby. I know things can change in time before we leave. I really want to go because I have never been and my family has been planning for a long time. And who knows when Ill get the chance again when the baby comes. I will be going to the doctor next week for the regular check up on the baby. I was going to talk with the doctor about it then. But I still wanted to know your opinions and suggestions.
Do you think it would be better to stay home for the sake of the baby?
If I do go, are there things I should be aware of during travel?- Such as activities or foods to avoid.
Would there be any vaccines I would need?
Anything specific to take?
Would you go if you were in my shoes?
I just want the baby to be healthy and I'm afraid if I go it might jeopardize that.

SexySquirrel May 22nd 2013 02:24 PM

Re: Travel while pregnant

I would suggest consulting your doctor. They usually say no travel within the last month of pregnancy, but other than that usually it's ok to travel. I'd say only really eat foods that you know have been prepared well, and just avoid the regular things you're told to avoid during pregnancy. But to get a real answer you'd have to consult your doctor. :) Good luck

Bullet May 23rd 2013 12:21 AM

I would think that you would be safe going. They usually say not to travel by plane, but if you are driving, you should be fine. Just be prepared to stop a lot for restroom breaks!
I have also heard from people I know that you should NOT drink the water there. Buy Bottled water. Again, this is something that I heard from friends. I had a friend go to Mexico a few years ago and got sick from drinking the water because they use different chemicals that we are not used to.
As far as vaccines or medications, I would consult your doctor. Ultimately, you would want to get all of your questions answered by your doctor.
Personally, If my doctor said that I would be safe to travel, then I would go! If he/she advised not to, then I wouldn't.

Hope this helped.

Nightblood. May 24th 2013 02:52 AM

Well, you say you're overall healthy and so is the baby but in your thread you titled that you hate being pregnant because you're so sick. Based on that thread, I would say that I would contact your doctor and ask him/her before you go.

Monkei May 25th 2013 07:57 PM

You'll be fine :) enjoy the trip with your family

Always * May 28th 2013 03:27 PM

you should be safe traveling. It's just the usual stuff you'll be wanting to avoid. Do not drink tap water (bottled only) and i know in some places in South America your also supposed to avoid lettuce because they can't clean it properly (if the water isn't drinkable then why would you want it to be used in washing your food) but I think those recomendations (food wise) depend on the establishment too. So just DO NOT drink the water unless it's bottled.... But that's what your supposed to do no matter what, I'd talk to your regular doctor and see if they think its ok to travel, and it should be fine, it's not as if Mexico doesn't have doctors should worst come to worst, just make sure you've got insurance that'll cover it, and just follow the regular recommendations about what not to eat and stuff like that. Usually your supposed to get Heptatitis shots before going but that might not be possible due to the fact that your pregnant, but just ask. Some locations require you to take other stuff for typhoid fever or what ever, but check the CDC site, it'll tell you what you need or talk to a travel doctor