TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Not pregnant, but 'trying.' (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t138869-not-pregnant-but-trying/)

Calaer June 5th 2015 04:05 AM

Not pregnant, but 'trying.'

Just a little background, I'm a mother of one. My first pregnancy wasn't planned. I had a fairly health pregnancy, and I had perfect recovery.

Now for my question/situation. My husband and I are trying for a second child. My husband is healthy, I on the other hand am I diabetic, in addition to being diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome.) I knew it was going to be difficult trying, but we aren't making it stressful. We are staying relaxed, and we aren't 'trying' per say, but rather not preventing pregnancy. I am, however slightly worried about the chance of me never being able to have another baby. I'm not so much stressed about it, as it is discouraging. I would love another child, but I'm starting to really worry if it's even possible at this point. If anyone has any advice, it would be lovely. If there's something I've not mentioned, but you'd like to know in order to give better advice, feel free to ask. Thanks.

Just Peachy. June 5th 2015 04:20 AM

Re: Not pregnant, but 'trying.'

Wow, this is an awful lot to deal with. I think that you're thinking about this in a very sound way. It seems like you have a clear understanding of what you're going through. As I am not a mother, I apologize if my advice isn't what you're looking for. My question to is has your doctor talked to you about what POS would mean for you and your future regarding children? Have you talked about your options in having a child? Maybe they can give you better insight for what you're going through and what you're options are.

Also, I'm sure you're wanting to conceive naturally, but have you considered adoption? In the event that you can't get pregnant again, adoption could be an option for you. Also, I don't know how POS ties into this, but would you ever consider a surrogate?

Again, I'm sorry if this is incredibly unhelpful. I feel for ya, though. I'm sure what you're going through is really difficult. :hug:

Calaer June 5th 2015 05:18 AM

I have spoken with my doctor. To be honest, he was extremely unhelpful, so Im trying else where. As for now, Im lost. Thank you for the advice.

DeletedAccount69 June 5th 2015 05:25 PM

Hey there,

I wanted to reply to this but I don't know if my advice will be that helpful seeing as I don't have PCOS. Firstly, I want to apologize that your doctor was unhelpful. In all honesty, if it is possible you might want to consider a second opinion. I don't know if the doctor you saw was a gynecologist but if he wasn't you might want to go that route because they might have more knowledge about the situation you are dealing with. However, I realize that getting a second opinion isn't always possible depending on your insurance coverage.

Now, from what I do know about PCOS it can make getting pregnant difficult but that doesn't mean it is impossible. I think you should consider 'actively' trying to get pregnant; although I think this is what you two are doing without actually labeling. You aren't taking prevention to stop pregnancy etc. The reason I suggest this is because from what I have heard you have to have actively tried for a baby for a year before you can consider medical means of trying to conceive. Now, I know this might not be ideal but if you want a baby and don't conceive within a year of 'actively' trying you could speak to a doctor about your options.

In the meantime you might want to look into what your insurance, if your in the USA, will cover in regards to fertility treatment and see if you and your husband can afford it. I think a question like this would be one you could call your insurance about. I am not 100% positive but I think they would be able to give you a general idea of if they cover it, what you would have to pay etc. I know with my insurance if I have any questions I just ask them.

I know this might not have been helpful but honestly all I can suggest is that you keep trying for a while and if you don't see results you consult a doctor about your options regarding fertility treatment. If you really want to have another child don't give up on that possibility just yet.

Best of luck and sorry if this was completely unhelpful.

Calaer June 5th 2015 10:33 PM

Thank you. Your advice WAS helpful, and it was lovely advice as well. I will call my insurance company when I get the chance to see if they cover, and I will consider actually 'trying'. Thank you again.