TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Pregnant or not (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t142198-pregnant-not/)

Blablablabla November 30th 2015 03:22 AM

Pregnant or not

Im so irritated with this now. Last month her period was close to two weeks late. It finally came, was heavier than normal apparently, and lasted a normal amount of time. This month its late again, almost by 2 weeks. Her parents are strict as hell, so getting time to do anything is tough. That being said, we only had sex once this month earlier in the beginning of it and we used a condom. Does being late 2 months in a row signal anything? Her boobs arent rapidly growing or sore, shes not getting morning sickness, shes been kind of depressed but shes like that a lot already, and I dont think shes been very stressed. Shes in really tough classes in school but shes had a week off for Thanksgiving so I doubt her stress levels are through the roof. Shes 18. Thanks for whatever help yall can give

Im editing this in because I forgot to mention it, she refuses to take a test. Its annoying as hell, but shes just refusing to. And even if she did agree to it, itd be hard to actually get it to her. So. Thats a thing.

Astrophile. November 30th 2015 03:28 AM

Re: Pregnant or not

Hey,

Her being late two months in a row is coincidental. You've said she has an intense workload for school, correct? If she's stressing even a little more than normal, it could be the reason why she's late again. Women's bodies are tricky. Sometimes they do what they're supposed to, and other times they don't. It really depends and environmental factors matter a lot, believe it or not. On top of that, depression does throw menstrual cycles out of whack. I know that from experience.

Since you guys used protection, I do not think that she's pregnant. There is always a chance, but from the sounds of it, this is pure stress taking a toll on her body. Give it a little more time because periods are irregular sometimes and, even though it's nerve wrecking, it's normal.

I hope this helped a bit. If you need anything at all, feel free to message me.

Blablablabla November 30th 2015 03:53 AM

Thank you for your response. This is off topic, but if she turns out to not be pregnant, how would you convince her to get the implant version of birth control? I think its called IUD or something like that. She refuses to get it and would rather get the pill version, which her queen of procrastination mother has been putting off for months now. I love her, but nothin with her is easy -_-

Astrophile. November 30th 2015 04:08 AM

Well, is there a reason why she prefers the pill over the IUD? Ultimately, it is her decision as it is her body. In all honesty, I'd tell her to research all forms of birth control, and determine which is most effective both in preventing pregnancy and cost. She really should lay out all of her options and decide from there. In my opinion, the IUD is best because there's no chance of forgetting to take the pill, etc.

DeletedAccount69 November 30th 2015 10:39 AM

Depending on where you are the IUD isn't covered by insurances. That would be a huge out of pocket cost. There are other forms of birth control that she con look into. Also, if she is vigilant about taking the pill there is nothing wrong with that method.

Lizzie November 30th 2015 06:11 PM

Seeing as she is 18 she doesn't need her mother to take her to the doctors and get any kind of birth control. If she is not making the appointment and going to get birth control pills that is her problem, not her mother's. So blaming her mother is not fair in this situation. Your partner is an adult and needs to take her own sexual health seriously. If she can't make an appointment on her own, and attend that appointment, then she doesn't have her priorities straight. Perhaps you two should hold off on having vaginal sex until she is mature enough to get her own birth control.

But the most important thing to do, would be to make sure she is not pregnant. Some women experience little to know symptoms of pregnancy, so a lack of morning sickness or breast growth is not a good way to determine if she is pregnant or not. The fact that she has missed two periods in a row is the most worrying sign and she needs to take a test. If she doesn't want to go buy a test, pick one up for her at the store and bring it to her. The sooner she knows if she is pregnant or not the more time she will have to decide about her options.

Astrophile. November 30th 2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 1213489)
The fact that she has missed two periods in a row is the most worrying sign and she needs to take a test.

She didn't miss her period two months in a row. OP said she was late last month but got it two weeks later and it was a heavy flow. She is probably experiencing irregularity due to excess stress.

Blablablabla December 1st 2015 01:34 AM

She started bleeding today, but I dont know how long that goes on until you can rule spotting out. From what I know, chances are she isnt pregnant, but I dont want to get my hopes up. And to Lizzie, its not that she cant go herself. We dont want to pay an assload of money so we want to go through her mothers insurance. Its basically free with that option.

Lizzie December 1st 2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blablablabla (Post 1213523)
She started bleeding today, but I dont know how long that goes on until you can rule spotting out. From what I know, chances are she isnt pregnant, but I dont want to get my hopes up. And to Lizzie, its not that she cant go herself. We dont want to pay an assload of money so we want to go through her mothers insurance. Its basically free with that option.

Spotting during pregnancy is extremely light. It's just a few spots. If her bleeding resembles anything like a normal period, it's most likely her period. It doesn't sound like you guys need to worry anymore.

Again, her sexual health is her responsibility and it costs money. There are clinics that will help her get services at a reduced rate if need be. And a lot of regular doctor's offices will do payment plans as well. And if she is in a low income situation, those may be her best options. Relying on someone else for her to get birth control doesn't seem like the best situation to me. And she should want to be in charge of her own health.

Eternal December 1st 2015 03:39 PM

Most 18 year olds I know can't afford doctors appointments and birth control on their own, so honestly as long as you two are using condoms I don't think you're not being mature about your sexual health. You should encourage your girlfriend to talk to her mom about birth control though, her being late could be a good reason for her to go on it so that her periods can be regulated. Perhaps she can make an appointment on her own so that her mother can see she is serious about this and will come so she can provide insurance information. My birth to control is free with my insurance and $150 a month without, so I definitely recommend getting her mom involved.

Astrophile. December 1st 2015 04:54 PM

I agree with Nicole. When I was 18, I was certainly in no position to get birth control or pay for my medical bills on my own. I was unemployed and still living at home. If she can get it cheapest through her mothers insurance, then I think she needs to grow up and sit down to talk with her mom about it. It is her responsibility to initiate her getting birth control. So just encourage her to talk to her mom since she will be the one providing insurance information.

Blablablabla December 1st 2015 07:38 PM

As I said before, her mother is just putting it off. Shes already talked to her and her mother agreed, shes just putting it off. But like the last two said, she too is in no way able to pay for it. She has at least 4 hours of homework each night (ib program) so she cant have a job. Im a lifeguard with car/insurance payments and tuition so I cant even help.

Coffee. December 1st 2015 11:24 PM

I agree with other people, but she may want to stop by a clinic to see if she can potentially get assistance. I know for sure Planned Parenthood can help cover costs of birth control for low income folks. I'm not sure she'd qualify for this, but it's worth a shot. It seems like her mom is willing, I'd just keep pushing that if I were her.