TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Might Have Miscarried and Didn't Know I was Pregnant (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t79068-might-have-miscarried-didnt-know-i-pregnant/)

escape_thereal_world July 11th 2011 09:08 PM

Might Have Miscarried and Didn't Know I was Pregnant

I had suspected I was pregnant since the day we had sex. This past week I thought maybe I miscarried despite never getting a Positive pregnancy test.

I went to the doctor today and he said there is no way to know since I never had a +test and I would have only been 51/2 weeks, and according to the "symptoms" I would have miscarried between the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Kinda sucks I'll never know. Not exactly sad either, since I don't know. Just...how are you supposed to feel about this?

:glare:

Angel July 11th 2011 11:05 PM

Re: Might Have Miscarried and Didn't Know I was Pregnant

It isn't uncommon for women to miscarry without ever knowing they were pregnant. I'm not sure what to tell you how to feel. I suppose the best thing to do would be to carry on and assume you haven't since you haven't gotten a positive test result. I'm sorry you've been put in this situation.

TheBabyEater July 12th 2011 12:09 AM

Might I ask why you think you miscarried?

escape_thereal_world July 12th 2011 12:17 AM

We had unprotected sex, and the next day I had signs of ovulation. We did use birth control though, which I have been on for 2 years.

But the day after ovulation, I began to spot (and had my period the last day we had sex). I always ovulate near my period. I should not have been spotting.

I also began cramping the day I was spotting, and this lasted about a week. The cramps were just real light, and my menstrual cramps are VERY painful. I suspected I might be pregnant, but it was too soon to test.

The following week, I spotted some more and then at 2 1/2weeks after sex, I began to bleed heavily and had major lower back pains for about 3 days. The 3rd day I clotted, which I don't clot on my period and it was still about 2 weeks before my expected period.

I tested at about 3 weeks and had negative result, then I tested again around 5weeks (currently) and it was negative. I am now going on 2 weeks late for my period, and I haven't missed one since I started birth control.

My doctor told me if I did miscarry when I think I did, then it would explain my missed period and should get it the following cycle.

It's all iffy and I guess I'll never know, so I guess it doesnt even matter.

TheBabyEater July 12th 2011 12:19 AM

Well it sounds certainly confusing, and I'm sure you don't want to hear this but it is not entirely uncommon for girls between age 12 and 21 to spot randomly or completely miss periods all together XD I know I regularly get periods a full week late, even when I'm barely even stressed or anything. I've been getting mine for 5 to 6 years now -.- On the other end of the spectrum, I also know a girl who didn't get her first period until she was 18 D:

shimmeringfaerie July 12th 2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world (Post 681814)
We had unprotected sex, and the next day I had signs of ovulation. We did use birth control though, which I have been on for 2 years.

But the day after ovulation, I began to spot (and had my period the last day we had sex). I always ovulate near my period. I should not have been spotting.

I also began cramping the day I was spotting, and this lasted about a week. The cramps were just real light, and my menstrual cramps are VERY painful. I suspected I might be pregnant, but it was too soon to test.

The following week, I spotted some more and then at 2 1/2weeks after sex, I began to bleed heavily and had major lower back pains for about 3 days. The 3rd day I clotted, which I don't clot on my period and it was still about 2 weeks before my expected period.

I tested at about 3 weeks and had negative result, then I tested again around 5weeks (currently) and it was negative. I am now going on 2 weeks late for my period, and I haven't missed one since I started birth control.

My doctor told me if I did miscarry when I think I did, then it would explain my missed period and should get it the following cycle.

It's all iffy and I guess I'll never know, so I guess it doesnt even matter.

Kelly, if you are on the pill, then you shouldn't be ovulating at all. Part of the reason that the pill is effective in preventing pregnancy is that it prevents ovulation.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you were ever pregnant. Signs of pregnancy do not show up the day after intercourse, so even though you suspected you were pregnant, there is really no reason for you to suspect that. And if you didn't get a positive pregnancy test, then I think that makes it more unlikely. Also, if you've been taking your birth control correctly, then the chances of you falling pregnant are so slim to being with.

I am sorry that you are going through this though. If it was me, I would be so upset about not knowing. Have you spoken to your partner about this? Perhaps talking about this with him might help you gain some closure on the situation.

escape_thereal_world July 12th 2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie (Post 681914)

Kelly, if you are on the pill, then you shouldn't be ovulating at all. Part of the reason that the pill is effective in preventing pregnancy is that it prevents ovulation.

Actually, it is possible to, though you shouldnt. I was.

Quote:

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you were ever pregnant. Signs of pregnancy do not show up the day after intercourse, so even though you suspected you were pregnant, there is really no reason for you to suspect that.

I never said I had signs of pregnancy, but signs of implantation. If I had ovulated the day after sex, then I could very well have been having signs of implantation bleeding. And there was reason, which I just stated as well just a feeling. And my period did not show up, despite me being on the pill which has always regulated me. That is when I started to think I was pregnant. When it was a week late, thats when I started to look back on my calendar and worried about how long I had spotted and not actually bled then missed my period.

Quote:

I am sorry that you are going through this though. If it was me, I would be so upset about not knowing. Have you spoken to your partner about this? Perhaps talking about this with him might help you gain some closure on the situation.

I have and he agreed (as he has known me the 2 years) it was just a very strange month and I could have miscarried or might not have. We're not hanging on it though and moving on. It's just strange to hear from my doctor that its actually very common and apparently 20% of known pregnancies end up in miscarriages and a larger portion end up that way without most women knowing.

Jocelyn. July 12th 2011 06:38 PM

It does suck to never know.

A few years back I had an incredibly bad period where I bled really heavy for days. I actually ended up sleeping for about 24 hours straight because I was so drained from it. I hadn't been using protection with the person I was with so there was a good chance I was pregnant. I swear it was a miscarriage, and I still wonder to this day what would have happened if I was in fact pregnant and what if I didn't miscarry it...?

But you and I will never know and there is really no point in dwelling on it, as much as you wish you could find out for sure. I hope you are able to come to terms with this and move on :) Your day for motherhood will come.