TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   What can my doctor tell my parents? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t91484-what-can-my-doctor-tell-my-parents/)

Sinner December 28th 2011 10:11 PM

What can my doctor tell my parents?

I'm sixteen, and I went to the doctor the other day to get checked for a UTI. She asked all the usual questions, and I told her I was sexually active, how many partners I've had, etc. etc.
Afterwards, she started talking about how I need to be on birth control and stuff, and ran a pregnancy test. It came back negative, but she rescheduled me for an appointment next week for a female exam and another pregnancy test.
My parents are extremely religious, and think I'm the epitome of wholesomeness. They don't know I'm having sex. They don't even know I've had a boyfriend. My mother is getting really suspicious about all of this, and is demanding to go back with me when I get the exam and tests taken care of. I told her it was a checkup on the UTI, and the exam is something they do regularly for teenage girls. Well, she keeps saying she doesn't know why it would be necessary to have it done, since I'm only a teenager, etc. etc.
If she goes back there with me after the tests and exams, what is the doctor allowed to tell her? If I do have something, or am pregnant, will the doctor tell my mom, or tell me first? And how can I get on birth control without my mother finding out all of this?

Harmony♥ December 28th 2011 10:37 PM

Re: What can my doctor tell my parents?

The doctor can't tell your mother anything without YOUR permission. There is something called patient/doctor confidentiality. They take this oath when they become doctors, and if they break it, are putting themselves at risk for losing their licenses to practice medicine.

I can understand your mother being curious, and you did the right thing by explaining this exam is normal amongst teenage girls. I had my first pap test done when I was 16. Of course, it's more common once you turn 21, but since you're sexually active, these tests need to be done.

If any of the tests being performed come up positive (say for pregnancy or an STD) the doctor will tell YOU first. You are their patient, your mother is not. You're old enough to take responsibility for yourself health wise. Your mother isn't even allowed in the room when the tests are performed. If they are, you could always ask your mom for some privacy.

Over all, you have nothing to worry about. Once those test results come back, it would be up to you to tell them about it, not the doctor. As I said, they could lose their license for breaking that patient/doctor confidentiality. Even if your mother asked, they couldn't give out information about you without your written consent first.

leavemealone December 28th 2011 10:43 PM

Your doctor cant tell your mom anything without asking you first. But I wouldn't keep this from your parents for much longer, eventually they're going to find out how long its been going on and they're going to be more mad about the fact that you never told them. They wont be mad forever, and if you talk it out with them calmly, they will be surprised by your level of maturity.

Squiggly December 29th 2011 03:31 AM

The doctor shouldn't be able tell your parent's anything without your permission. So you shouldn't worry about that too much. But it is really hard to hide taking birth control and it would be good to be on birth control if you are sexually active and only 16. It would be best to try and talk with your mom about it and not keep it a secret much longer because if you did all of a sudden end up pregnant it would be a way bigger and worse shock for her to find out that when she didn't even know you were having sex in the first place.