TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   Parents having strong opions about LGBT (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t102309-parents-having-strong-opions-about-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered/)

neversaynever17 May 21st 2012 10:13 PM

Parents having strong opions about LGBT

Okay, so tonight around the table my parents got onto the subject of lesbians and bisexuals.

Im bisexual and know i could never ever come out to my parents there so unbelievably against it:/ They where saying how same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to have children and if they found out me or my sister was we'd be disowned from the family and kicked out, it made me feel absoutly awful and so ashamed, if i cant be myself in front of my parents who can i?!

. I was wondering if anyone else has the same sorta thing going on and what they do or have done about it?xx

George^^ May 22nd 2012 12:12 AM

Re: Parents having strong opions about LGBT

My parents aren't bad about it (at least I've never really heard anything out of my dad, but my mom happens to make comments, more on "I'm a supporter" in the wrong ways.)

First of all, I say you should take care of yourself, this means not putting yourself in bad situations with them, nor letting their words hurt you. Safety is always above educating bigots. Just because you can't be yourself in front of your parents doesn't mean you can't be yourself in front of other, more accepting people. The way I see it is, to some people you might not be out, or not being all out there with it, but you are never, ever, not being yourself by being more in the closet than other times.

Yours Truly May 22nd 2012 03:16 AM

My parents are the same way. They never said they'd disown me if I wasn't straight, but they've definatley expressed their negative opinions about other people... I just keep quiet. It's not worth an argument. You don't have to lie or anything or say you're straight if you're not. Just I don't know..

I tend to always try and avoid conflict whenever possible. So for me, personally? If the topic comes up i just stay out of it.. and I don't ever bring up the topic myself.

havehopeyourbeautiful May 23rd 2012 12:51 AM

yeah my parents are just as bad if not worse when i pipe up they hit me yell at me it always ends up me crying and stuff and walking out just timing is all i can say i hope this helped ! :) pm me or vm me if you need anything !

Mandylion May 24th 2012 02:10 AM

My parents never said they would disown me but they never said they were of with it when i was growing up either so i waited to tell them tell i knew i could support myself if it did go bad. Its been almost 3 years since i have come out and my mom has accepted it but my dad acts like it never happened. I hope i was of some help

cassiebieber44 May 24th 2012 03:38 AM

my parents are bad about this im bi and since my sister turned out a lesbian and is living with her gf im not even aloud to watch ellen degeneres when they found out i dated a girl i got grounded for about two months so i just have to deny it with them

Akeas May 25th 2012 01:04 AM

I get you my mom said she would disown me five times then said it was out of anger( she doesn't like LGBT people).
Yet,my dad accepts me as who i am as a transguy