TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   Does your school have an LGBT club? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t508-does-your-school-have-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered-club/)

Lottie January 9th 2009 10:22 AM

Re: Does your school have an LGBT club?

Yes my university does. :) We have a very active student-led LGBT society. Which Rob and I are on the exec committee for. :)

Melody Pond January 9th 2009 11:31 AM

No, their isn't a market for one in my school and I don't think it would be accepted anyway. It is sad but as far as I know their is only one out Bi and that is my boyfriend.
my school is a really common comprehensive school full of close - minded homophobic chavs so even if anyone is gay/les/bi they are too scared to come out.
Even my boyfriend waited until 6th form because people are more accepting their and the ones who aren't have dropped out.

Adam January 9th 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach (Post 6071)
No, their isn't a market for one in my school and I don't think it would be accepted anyway. It is sad but as far as I know their is only one out Bi and that is my boyfriend.
my school is a really common comprehensive school full of close - minded homophobic chavs so even if anyone is gay/les/bi they are too scared to come out.
Even my boyfriend waited until 6th form because people are more accepting their and the ones who aren't have dropped out.

It really is a shame when people have to wait until sixth form to be themselves. I wish there was a way to put an end to all homophobia >.< Im part of a "Stop homophobia in europe!" campaign :)

Elf January 9th 2009 12:09 PM

Nope. I go to an all-girls Catholic school and there are a lot of nuns on campus. the administration wouldn't be gunning to start one. I'm pretty sure there are lesbian and bi-sexual girls on campus (I know two of them, and two others graduated last year- all of them are/were on stage crew with me, oddly enough), but they keep it unbelievably hush-hush from the rest of the students/teachers.

justDucky January 9th 2009 12:13 PM

I don't believe there was a group in High School but people weren't scared to be out and have significant others.

In college there is a group. I'm not sure how often they meet or what they do exactly because everytime I saw a flyer for it I was either on the other campus or I was on my way to class. Hopefully this semester I can attend a meeting for once. =]

losing touch. January 9th 2009 12:51 PM

no, there definitely isn't anything like that at my school. the teachers wouldn't allow it if someone tried to set one up to be honest.

Babity January 9th 2009 03:36 PM

My school has GSA (gay straight aliance)
It's taken seriously enough and no one makes fun of anyone in it. They run "Day of Silence" at my school too. I'd say the club is respected and treated like anyother club

Chelsey-Ella January 9th 2009 03:48 PM

Sadly there isn't one at my college and I don't think anyone would be brave enough to start one. There are a lot of bi's I know but who are only open about it with a small group of friends. If there was one at my college I'd love to join but I'm ashamed to say I'd probably be too scared myself.

Santeria January 9th 2009 03:59 PM

my highschool has a GSA, but then again we have almost 100 clubs lol. i think theres 5-10 out people at my school but theres 3500 kids... theres a few straight girls in it, but i'd never consider joining because of criticism (im a bi guy). they do the day of silence too but some get messed with a lot for it.

Bibliophile January 9th 2009 04:07 PM

Nope.
We don't!
Although i think it would be a good idea. :D

R.K. January 12th 2009 08:21 AM

No both for school & uni.

lost_chil January 12th 2009 10:42 AM

My school now does... Not sure about the school i'll be going to in 4 months tho... Dont think so, and that sucks,... Tho i dont know if i would go to it anyways... I prob would tho^^

Zoombini80 January 12th 2009 07:51 PM

I don't know who would be interested in my school. It's in somewhat rural Northwest and those kind of things are thought of as kind of strange and abnormal. :(

Dim January 12th 2009 08:10 PM

No... I live in Alabama so way too many homophobes.

Dustin January 13th 2009 08:47 AM

When I was in high school which was in 2005 my school did not have an LGBT club but I am very proud to say that now they have added a GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance)

Anna Skye January 13th 2009 08:59 AM

Yes, we have a GSA, and I'm representing my class in a state-wide LGBT issues conference!!! WOOT!!!!!

peace and love

eunoia January 13th 2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisarunway (Post 13801)
Yes, we have a GSA, and I'm representing my class in a state-wide LGBT issues conference!!! WOOT!!!!!

peace and love

Oh, that's very exciting! Have you ever looked into GLSEN's JumpStart team?

Allons-y! January 15th 2009 09:59 PM

Unfortunately, the majority of kids at my high school are ignorant to the point where, when a teacher mentioned an LGBT program at a nearby school, one girl actually had to raise her hand and ask what LGBT stood for. :(

Yeah, I cry a lot.

SnowKitten January 17th 2009 10:55 PM

i am trying to get one at my school
im getting a petition signed by all the allis and LGBTQA people

Kryptonite January 17th 2009 10:56 PM

No, there isn\'t.
Being gay isn\'t accepted in my school, unfortunately.

Casey. January 17th 2009 11:17 PM

My college has a GSA, however it just started meeting this semester again. I haven\'t been to the meetings, but honestly I live in the south.The fact that about a hundred people signed up for the club\'s webpage is amazing in itself, but we have like 40,000 students or something like that.

LoveMeNot January 18th 2009 09:55 PM

We do, but it\'s not the same as it was in 2005. I\'ve pretty much dropped out to avoid this kid I don\'t like and our group goes way off topic. So I just don\'t like it anymore.

SuperJenius January 23rd 2009 04:32 PM

I go to an extremely Catholic school...enough said.