TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t73807-bill-next-72-hours-could-make-being-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered-punishable-death-uganda/)

bitesize May 9th 2011 12:10 PM

bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda.

Please sign the petition!!!
http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

Kumagoro May 9th 2011 12:15 PM

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda.

Oh God that's awful >.<

I tried to sign it but it didn't accept it D:

Mellifluous May 9th 2011 12:54 PM

signed and posted on my facebook wall!!!

bitesize May 9th 2011 04:24 PM

thanks guys, yeah it's really awful, I hope the petition will have an effect :(

Evanesco May 9th 2011 07:30 PM

I signed it. It's horrible that things like this are happening in the world.

Fictional May 9th 2011 07:48 PM

I signed and posted on Facebook... I wonder what Amnesty have to say about it =S

Kumagoro May 9th 2011 09:00 PM

I've signed it, at last. Here's hoping it makes a difference <3

Skeleton May 9th 2011 09:10 PM

I've signed it, got my mum to sign it too. I really hope they get enough signatures to stop it, it's absolutely terrible what they're planning to do and it needs to be stopped.

LlamaLlamaDuck May 9th 2011 09:15 PM

Signed it and posted it on facebook. Might email it to my family later if I'm feeling brave too. :p
In all seriousness though, this really is awful and I sincerely hope that it's stopped.

Pelios May 9th 2011 09:16 PM

I have a question not trying to be a smart ass or anything this is serious. How are people signing an online petition going to help this? People can just submit their sign over and over again just change the email and your name. There is really no point to it, I do understand that what Uganda is doing is wrong this specific topic was been going on for at least 2 years I remember when someone posted a link here in TH some time ago. Can someone enlighten me? Please.

Sythan May 9th 2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by México (Post 637984)
I have a question not trying to be a smart ass or anything this is serious. How are people signing an online petition going to help this? People can just submit their sign over and over again just change the email and your name. There is really no point to it, I do understand that what Uganda is doing is wrong this specific topic was been going on for at least 2 years I remember when someone posted a link here in TH some time ago. Can someone enlighten me? Please.

If enough people pour in their support, both regular citizens and political figures, then they may be inclined to repeal it or risk facing a political shitstorm. Becuase we are not in Uganda, the only thing we can do to show our opposition is signing a petition.

Evanesco May 9th 2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sythan (Post 637996)
If enough people pour in their support, both regular citizens and political figures, then they may be inclined to repeal it or risk facing a political shitstorm. Becuase we are not in Uganda, the only thing we can do to show our opposition is signing a petition.

I agree. Plus, I'd rather do something that didn't work than sit back and not do anything at all. Given my situation, being a teenager in a different country to Uganda, the only thing I can do is try and get it publicity. If this pertition does nothing except let people see it on my facebook, then it's still done something.

Snufkin May 9th 2011 09:38 PM

A petition will change nothing. It's pointless to even try. If you're gay and you're in Uganda, get the hell out, that's the only useful advice heading your way. Their "human rights" are very different to ours and an online petition will do nothing about their warped view.

Sythan May 9th 2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 638007)
A petition will change nothing. It's pointless to even try. If you're gay and you're in Uganda, get the hell out, that's the only useful advice heading your way. Their "human rights" are very different to ours and an online petition will do nothing about their warped view.

You have no idea what a petition can do.

Snufkin May 9th 2011 09:44 PM

You have no idea how Uganda works. This is a country in which corruption is everywhere you look. If you go against the head of state, you will disappear.

Evanesco May 9th 2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 638007)

I disagree. Regardless of whether it will change anything or not, it's not pointless to try.
It takes, what? Five minutes of your time?
If you don't want to sign it, I understand, but I still disagree with it being pointless.

Sythan May 9th 2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 638017)
You have no idea how Uganda works. This is a country in which corruption is everywhere you look. If you go against the head of state, you will disappear.

You think that will stop people from doing what is right?

Snufkin May 9th 2011 10:00 PM

I'm just saying it's pointless. I would never stop people signing a petition for any cause, but I've seen this circulating on Twitter and Facebook, and if you think the government of Uganda are going to listen then you're wrong. Pressure from international involvement, maybe, but even then it's highly unlikely. Get real, because this is a highly dangerous and completely backward bill. A petition and good thoughts are not what the homosexual community of Uganda needs right now, what they need is to get the hell out of there. If this bill goes through, you are breaking the law if you are straight and know of someone who is gay yet don't report them. I don't fancy breaking the law in Uganda, you will get tortured or killed.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I truly believe that this will have no effect on the outcome of this bill.

I would, of course, be happy to be wrong.

Sythan May 10th 2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 638037)
I'm just saying it's pointless. I would never stop people signing a petition for any cause, but I've seen this circulating on Twitter and Facebook, and if you think the government of Uganda are going to listen then you're wrong. Pressure from international involvement, maybe, but even then it's highly unlikely. Get real, because this is a highly dangerous and completely backward bill. A petition and good thoughts are not what the homosexual community of Uganda needs right now, what they need is to get the hell out of there. If this bill goes through, you are breaking the law if you are straight and know of someone who is gay yet don't report them. I don't fancy breaking the law in Uganda, you will get tortured or killed.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I truly believe that this will have no effect on the outcome of this bill.

I would, of course, be happy to be wrong.

If colonist's had that attitude in the 1700's then America wouldn't be here, "Oh, telling our fellow colonist's to rise up won't do any good, if we oppose the British government they'll kill us, oh well".

One single act can change the world, Rosa Parks refusing to go to the back of the bus sparked the Civil Rights Movement nationwide. The Stonewall Riots sparked the Gay Rights Movement worldwide, you don't see how the most insignificant act of signing a petition or defying authority for what you know is right can have an amazing impact and the world.

Mellifluous May 12th 2011 07:39 AM

If no one ever tried to make a difference, nothing would ever get done.