TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   Should i come out as trans? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t95462-should-i-come-out-trans/)

Cactus February 20th 2012 03:24 PM

Should i come out as trans?

I've felt it for a year and a half, fought it for over a year, and I recently accepted it. I've come out for a few friends who have all been extremely supportive.
Now here's my issue. I've been letting Kaitlyn (my true self) out more and more often. I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail and I've even let her talk to some people. I had the most amazing girl day with my ex, one of my most supportive friends.
My plan since the day I accepted it was to wait til college, see a therapist, and start a hormone regiment. Good plan, right? That's when I was going to finally tell my parents. The problem is that Kaitlyn is like a drug. I let her out and soon I want her to take over. I'm tempted to cut my plans short and tell my parents soon, that way I wont have to hide. But I don't want them to treat me differently. What should I do?

ConnorGlosoli February 20th 2012 05:16 PM

Re: Should i come out as trans?

Hey Kaitlyn, I know just how you feel. I'm ftm and in pretty much the same situation, i let Connor out more and more but I've told my parents and they aren't accepting at all, they're really against the whole idea and everything...
Then again, it depends on they type of people your parents are... they could be cool with it :)
The best thing to probably do is to wait until your ready. Everything will fall into place at some stage and it'll all be fine :)

MusicIsEverything February 20th 2012 11:06 PM

They shouldn't treat you differently. You're just the same person you were an hour before you told them, and they should accept you just for who you are. If they do, try explaining that you're still the same person.
If you feel you're ready, I think you should tell them now, you shouldn't need to hide who you are. If you're not ready, take your time and tell them when you think it's the right time to. Good luck :)

ForgetMeNot9 February 21st 2012 03:30 AM

No one should ever have to hide their true self. So, I think that when you truly feel that it's the right time for you to tell them, then you should. And if that's now, then great! Your parents should accept you for who you are. And though it might take them time to come around, hopefully they'll realize that you're still you in the end. Good luck with everything :)

will was here February 21st 2012 08:27 PM

I've found that gender is more of a grey area than people think. It's not black and white. we all have both male and female pieces to us. I heard somewhere that in our dreams the men and woman characters we see there are all parts of us. So Kaitlyn is a part of you and so is your male side. It's all a matter of who YOU are and who you want to become most in your heart. Both sides both so important because they are both a part of you. In the end though which side you choose to represent you also defines the wonderful you. Don't let anyone stop you from seeing your true self. Don't let your parents not see you for who you are. They deserve to know they have a daughter. I'm sure it will be very hard for them to comprehend. Only you know when is the right time to share that part of yourself with them.
I hope very much you find happiness.
Sincerely, william