TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   as you get older, is it normal for your dating age to change for good? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t128317-you-get-older-normal-your-dating-age-change-good/)

poohbearcheerio February 5th 2014 08:42 AM

as you get older, is it normal for your dating age to change for good?

if you are about to be 23 years of age and still dating young girls/boys such as 18 and 19, is it normal to want a change of age preference because you are getting older? I ask because I broke it off with a guy when I turned 22 years old and he was only 19. I felt like I wanted to settle down but with a man. is it normal to want different as you get older? does dating younger people in their teens just a phase people go through?

taylalatbh. February 5th 2014 01:03 PM

Re: as you get older, is it normal for your dating age to change for good?

Sounds completely normal. It seems like you're starting to mature and wanting to have an adult life and obviously these 18/19 year olds don't really want that. It's totally fine to want to date people your own age or older to live the lifestyle that you want. It does vary from person to person though, some people might only want to date younger people, it's all personal preference. It just sounds like you want to live like an adult now.

Roxie Redfox February 5th 2014 02:08 PM

I have to agree. An immature 23 year old may in fact prefer dating younger people because they match their maturity age. On the other hand, a mature 23 year old may feel more comfortable with someone more their age and maturity level. Keep in mind though that everyone matures at different rates. Though it may be a rare occurrence, there are some very mature 18/19 year olds out there. The change of preference depends on you, just don't change your preference and then let it control you. You may miss your chance with someone really special who is a little younger (yet perhaps more mature). :hug: Hope it helps.

Good Luck!
-Roxie-

olive98 February 5th 2014 04:47 PM

younger guys are dangerous in a way cos if the they are stronger than you they could do something wrong cos they arent wise. older guys are maybe safer cos they are wiser maybe, so i can't wait to have older bf. i just broke up with my bf cos he almost took my virginity. so i like maturer guys and thats probably common :)

poohbearcheerio February 5th 2014 04:51 PM

yeah its like ill date younger people but not while in their 20's or teens

Roxie Redfox February 5th 2014 05:06 PM

Then how old are these people exactly? xD

Ennui. February 5th 2014 09:46 PM

It sounds okay to me that you'd want to prefer someone closer to your own age or a bit older than you as you start to get older. Your maturity level changes and so you would want someone with your maturity level, not the maturity of a teen.

DeletedAccount71 February 7th 2014 12:04 AM

I think it's normal for your age preferences to change when it comes to dating as you get older. As you become an adult it's normal to want to be with someone who is in a more mature stage of life and shows they can manage responsibility and stability, physically, emotionally and financially. So yes, it's completely normal.

Lelola February 7th 2014 06:46 PM

Very normal to change the age of dating. Think of it as life in stages. Hence why 10 years age difference is different when a person is 40 and 50 than when they are 10 and 20.

olive98 February 9th 2014 02:33 PM

and some teachers and students probably sleeped together after the student finished school.