TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Online dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t138872-online-dating/)

DeletedAccount75 June 5th 2015 06:03 AM

Online dating

Hello. Should I try online dating for men? I am bi curious and would like to see if this is a good idea. I want to meet new people who have the same interests as me. Please reply if this is a good idea.

Lilyofthewest June 5th 2015 08:30 AM

Re: Online dating

By all means, go for it. It's amongst the easier ways for queer (and straight) people to meet others. There are obvious dangers but most of the time it's 100% safe. I tried it once myself and it didn't go anywhere for me, though I didn't really try that hard. I've heard of plenty of people who've had amazing relationships that have started online.

Always * June 5th 2015 09:02 PM

As long as you're honest about what you're looking for, I'd say go for it. Online dating is a great way to get yourself out there.

DeletedAccount69 June 5th 2015 09:11 PM

So, I think online dating is a great way to meet people. I met my boyfriend on an online website. I honestly don't think I would have met anyone if it weren't online. However, I think you need to be 100% honest about what you are looking for. I know a lot of the websites out there are just plain hookup sites so if that's what you are looking for you can probably find that easily. If you are looking for something more, potentially, then you might want to be careful about what websites you use. And, I am not saying that all the hook up sites are bad you just have to know what to expect. My best friend met his boyfriend on a hook up site. They were initially just hooking up for all intents and purposes and they just kind of developed a relationship from that.

I think it is possible to get a lot out of an online site you just have to be open in regards to what to expect. If I hadn't been open about my own online experience I probably wouldn't have met my boyfriend.

Lastly, no matter what your intentions are I think it's always important to be safe. If you plan on having intimate relationships with the people you are meeting then use protection.

Evanesco June 5th 2015 11:09 PM

I use online dating. There's nothing wrong with it so long as you take precautions. Usually websites require you to be 18+. Also, be careful with what information you make available and who can see it. If you do meet up with someone, make sure you meet somewhere public, and that someone knows where you're going.

Ambedo. June 6th 2015 05:49 AM

I think online dating is a great way to meet people, especially for queer individuals. It's much easier to find people that are compatible with your sexual identity via the Internet, as people are generally more open about their own sexual orientation online. It's definitely a lot easier than looking for people in your hometown and hoping they're queer. Just make sure you're honest about what you're looking for and that you remember the basic rules of online safety when connecting with another person.

DeletedAccount71 June 6th 2015 09:38 PM

Like others, I think online dating is a great way to meet people, especially if you're having trouble making connections in real life. I met my girlfriend online. I suggest just being open and honest about yourself to give people the best idea of who you are.

TJ- June 7th 2015 11:35 PM

Download grindr for your phone. It's a gay hook up app similar to tinder. It's what most of the people on the app are looking for.

Doodle. June 9th 2015 02:25 PM

I met my boyfriend online and we've been together for nearly 3 years. We met on Facebook though, not on a dating website (we had mutual friends from college and stuff and just started talking) It can work fine :)

Girly.Tomboy.017 June 11th 2015 02:12 AM

I met my girlfriend online through Twitter (which is an online social networking site so that counts doesn't it?) and we've been together for about 2 years now. So if nothing else is working for you, go for it :) you never know until you try.

ThisWillDestroyYou June 11th 2015 05:43 PM

While it may be easier, please be careful. A lot of harm can come through these sites, just like through any other method of meeting a stranger.

xxpaigiexx June 11th 2015 10:58 PM

Hey there,

I think a lot of people use online dating as a way of meeting like minded people to themselves. I think as long as you are careful about what details you give online about yourself and you ensure that if you do go to meet anyone from the internet you ensure it is in a public place and people are aware of where you are and who you are with then that is fine.

Paige

Always * June 14th 2015 09:49 PM

Hey, so I know that I already responded but I'd just like to add that I think it is a great idea to try online dating, plus if you are sort of unsure and you want to list only the same gender (or both) but ultimately decide you are only interested in one or the other, you can change the settings.

I've also noticed that a few people met people on Twitter or Facebook, which is honestly a great idea too. I'd try to stick local though, like friends of friends or something and explain why you're contacting them. I hate it when I get random adds from people on social media and I'm like "who is this and what do they want?" You don't need to state you want to date them, but it's good to preface the conversation with "hey, I am so and so, we went to the same school and we have X and/or Y in common so I just wanted to connect" or something like that. The only problem with social media is that people tend to use it for other things, like connecting with family, friends, following around celebrities on Twitter, etc. and they might not be open to dating from there unless it is a coincidence (e.g. having the luck of connection in a special way). Dating websites will attract creeps but there will be a lot of great people too - personally, I got a lot messages from icky guys who just wanted to hook up, it was really awkward and I might have abandoned the attempt if i hadn't met my boyfriend and before that I was reassured by the nice guys on the site. At least on dating sites, everyone is there for the same general purpose. Both are great though :)