TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Courting vs. Dating?? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t81482-courting-vs-dating/)

JDBabe014 August 10th 2011 08:35 PM

Courting vs. Dating??

Whats the difference???

DeletedAccount71 August 10th 2011 08:39 PM

Re: Courting vs. Dating??

There is no difference. "Courting" is just a formal term for dating.

wonderbread August 10th 2011 08:39 PM

I don't really believe there is a difference. I think the term courting was just used in a different time and we have just started using the term dating in our generations.

They both involve spending time with each other and going on dates and getting to know each other and such. But if you want to really break it down. Courting really is just the pre dating. And now a days we use the term dating when people are officially a couple.

JDBabe014 August 10th 2011 11:05 PM

me and him have thought about dating but we never gotten to it yet.... So last night he said he wanted to court me....... i didnt think there was a diffrence

Maloo August 10th 2011 11:19 PM

There isn't any difference. Dating isn't a big step, just go for it!

JDBabe014 August 11th 2011 02:02 AM

Me and him both have been is some hurtful relationships... So hes scared to ask me out he has told me that..... So he said he wanted to "court" me....

Maloo August 11th 2011 02:12 AM

But there's no difference between courting and dating lol.

There is a difference between dating (in the sense of going on dates) and being in a relationship though. Maybe that's what he meant.

wonderbread August 11th 2011 02:15 AM

Like Lissa said, maybe that is what he is thinking. Maybe in his mind he thinks courting is taking you out on dates and getting to know each other on a more personal level and that dating is being in a relationship.

That is the only type of difference I could see

Lugez August 11th 2011 02:29 AM

I think they're different..

Courting is the way that you get the opposite sex to notice/become interested in you. A person's "game", in essence. It's similar to flirting, I think.

Dating is going out with someone in order to know them better and see if a real relationship is possible.

Harmony♥ August 11th 2011 02:30 AM

I don't think there is a difference. Courting was a term used during the 'olden' days. It's just a formal way of saying dating.

PSY August 11th 2011 08:55 PM

It's all just a play on words. "Courting", "dating"... who cares if they are different or the same thing? What matters is the intention behind the action... does he just want to go on dates and see if becoming exclusive is a possibility? Or is he scared of commitment, and trying to receive some of the benefits of dating (ex. kissing, sex) while remaining friends? I don't care what you want to call it, so long as you understand what it is.

bitesize August 11th 2011 10:40 PM

In my head 'courting' is kind of like 'wooing'..heh. As in he'll try to make you interested in him. I'm probably wrong though. Your best bet would be to ask him what he means by the term.x

affairsguaranteed August 12th 2011 08:14 AM

I think there is no difference, Courting is remerging after being viewed as an outdated model for relationships. Dating has become, perhaps, the most common method in building relationships today. Ddating is the world’s alternative to courting, as its principles are human-centered and culturally
determined. Thanks for sharing.

Tara. August 12th 2011 08:20 AM

I would say courting leads to marriage, dating leads to a relationship. If that makes sense.

Eternal August 12th 2011 08:43 AM

To me, courting seems like a term that used less often. Dating is a more well-known term.
But they both mean the same thing :)