Thread: Triggering (Suicide): Uni work and suicide ideation?!!
View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: Uni work and suicide ideation?!! - March 20th 2013, 07:38 AM

Hey Sophie,

I've been struggling with this too. I know the stress can be a heart and mind breaker sometimes. :/ Talking to a friend or family member who is supportive and willing to listen can help. Or if you've had success with writing in a journal before, I encourage you to try that. Just yesterday I sat down and wrote out everything that made me feel worse about myself, and then I wrote out the logical things that contradicted those negative thoughts.

For example: "Right now it feels like I can't do anything right and like I'm a idiot. BUT I know that's not true because I have passed tests before and done very well in school. I'm having trouble now, but I am still an intelligent, loving, and honest person."

It also helps to look at WHY you are putting so much pressure on yourself with school. I started to develop the view that I wouldn't be successful in life without a particular GPA, a particular degree from a particular college, etc., etc. But there are always more options than you think, and sometimes what starts out as a backup plan or rejection can turn into something better than you imagined.

In the long term, I agree with the above posters: talk to a professional about this so you can find out the cause of your depression and learn to cope with it. Until then, get those feelings out and away from you. Talk to someone who loves you, who will tell you that you are worth SO much more than your grades. And remind yourself that there is always hope for the future. If nothing else, remember that there are good people and things worth living for, even though the negative feelings hurt right now.

Take care.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine