View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: My friend has started cutting again PLEASE HELP - April 11th 2013, 05:34 AM

Hey, Nicola.

I'm sorry about what your friend's going through and about her dad, that's really awful. I think you're a really amazing friend for wanting to help her though, she's lucky to have you in her life. I think the best thing you can do right now is stand by her, offer to talk with her, tell her that she can talk to you about her feelings and even write it on a note if she can't talk verbally. Just generally be there for her because she has to decide to stop self-harming on her own, you can't make her. All you can do is be there for her. I know it's really hard to watch your friend go through this but just being there for her will help her a lot. She'd be in a much worse place without you there.

Although it might be a good idea to encourage her to do other things besides self-harm and give her more coping mechanisms? Like tell her she can call you if she feels like self-harming, or let her come over and spend time with you. Or make her a bracelet and tell her that it's so when she feels bad she can see the bracelet to remind her that people care and she's worth more than self-harm. I think it'd be a good idea to show her that list of self-harm alternatives that Kakorrhaphiophobia posted above. Maybe you could recommend her to TeenHelp? Or suggest she talks to someone about it? Like maybe the school counselor?

I hope your friend feels better. I think you're awesome for wanting to help her. Remind her to stay strong and you stay strong as well, okay? You guys can do this! But hey, remember to take care of yourself as well while helping and supporting your friend.

Take care <3