View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15

Re: My Rant About Science vs. Religion - April 3rd 2009, 12:05 AM

I'm not too familiar with scripture, but can anyone point to where it says the earth is the center of the solar system?

I know Genesis 1:1 says God created the heaven and the earth, and then Genesis 1:3 says there was light, which seems to infer earth was created before the sun. But personally, I consider "heaven" to mean "heavens" meaning all of space outside earth, which includes the sun. It doesn't say the sun was giving off light yet either. And the earth was "without form and void" so it really wasn't even earth yet; maybe just the rocks and substances that eventually made it earth.

Then the light was separated from the darkness - he decided the earth would rotate so part of it would be in sunlight and part in darkness (ie day and night). Basically I believe this was the creation of gravity and the laws of celestial bodies rotating and revolving. Then everything started coming together, creating the "firmament" and placing waters around it. Then there was the great light and the lesser light - so He made the sun give off sunlight and other stars further away to light the night and guide us. And so on and so forth.

I certainly don't think anything can be taken at face value, but when I think about the process of it all, it actually fits in my mind. I'm not casting science aside, I just think the laws that guide science were first put in place by God.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.