View Single Post
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: why do people self harm? - June 16th 2013, 07:05 PM

Like others have said, the reasons behind it differ from person to person. You're never going to have a big blanket answer as to why people self harm.
Personally, I self harm for a lot of reasons. I started at a very early age, and when I did it then it was to cope with suicidal urges. As I got older, I started using it to punish myself, relieve stress, and cope with anger, depression, and numbness. It's my go-to coping method.
Another reason that I self harm is to focus. When I get overly stressed, I find it really hard to focus on the task at hand. When I self harm, it relieves some of that stress and helps me to focus my attention.

You are very right in saying that it's addictive. Definitely try your very best not to start. It's not a good option. Trust me.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM